+2
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

One More Year For The Truth Empty One More Year For The Truth

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Brad Turner – Verified account ‏@BA_Turner

Paul Pierce is planning on returning to the Clippers for the 2016-17 season, his 19th in the NBA, per source.
6:51 PM - 26 Jul 2016

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

One More Year For The Truth Empty Re: One More Year For The Truth

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm

There was a report late last week that KG was considering retirement. I wonder if they talked and are both sticking around.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:15 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/rivers-dismisses-griffin-boston-rumors-wants-pierce-retire-celtics

One More Year For The Truth Ap_05062904075_0

RIVERS DISMISSES GRIFFIN-TO-BOSTON RUMORS, WANTS PIERCE TO RETIRE WITH CELTICS

By CSN Staff July 28, 2016 11:44 AM

Doc Rivers appeared on The Vertical Podcast with Adrian Wojnarowski and dismissed the Blake Griffin trade rumors, claiming that “bloggers” who “have nothing to do with the sport” were the cause of the Blake-to-Boston gossip.

“We are hoping that Blake ends his career playing for the Clippers,” Rivers told Woj. “No team is calling because teams know we don’t have any interest. It just tells you the different times. Things have changed. Everyone believes that they’re media now. There are so many good, credible guys, but then there’s some of the guys who are bloggers and have nothing to do with the sport.”

Rivers went on to explain that his youngest son, Spencer, even took the time out to trace the source of this "groundless" rumor.

“Danny [Ainge] and I have talked twice this summer. One was about the British Open, and the other was about another golf tournament. That’s about it,” Rivers explained. “But my son traced [where this rumor started] it to I think a Boston radio talk show and the guy didn’t say that we had been talking, but that Blake would be one of the guys the Celtics should go after. That started the next step, and then the next thing you know, it blew it up.”

Glenn Rivers sounds more like a politician than a doctor. Everyone knows politicians lie.

So Doc says he’s spoken to Danny only twice this summer -- both times about golf and “that’s about it.” But it's good to know they did apparently find the time to lay the groundwork for Paul Pierce to retire with the Celtics, if he does choose to call it a career.

“If Paul does decide to retire, we’re gonna make sure that Boston picks him up for one day and he retires a Celtic because that’s what he should retire as,” Rivers said. “We have all that in place. We just don’t know what he’s gonna do.”

Allowing Pierce to retire as a Celtic would be the right thing to do, for sure. He spent 15 seasons with the Celtics, won a title, and someday No. 34 will be hanging in the rafters. Ainge has also made it clear before that he'd love for Pierce to take on some type of front office role with the team after he retires from his playing career.

But Blake is the guy Celtics fans want now, so it’s understandable Doc would dispel the rumors regarding his four-time All-Star.

It doesn’t mean those conversations didn’t take place because trade talks happen every single day in the NBA. But considering Doc spent the opening minutes of the podcast discussing Blake, it certainly makes it seem like a deal is dead. At least for now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:21 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/doc_rivers_plans_to_let_paul_p.html

Doc Rivers plans to let Paul Pierce retire as a member of the Boston Celtics if he steps away from the game

Los Angeles Clippers forward Paul Pierce smiles during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Miami Heat, Sunday, Feb. 7, 2016, in Miami. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on July 28, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Doc Rivers plans to let Paul Pierce retire as a member of the Boston Celtics if the star decides to end his distinguished career this summer.

"If Paul decides to retire then we're going to make sure that Boston picks him up for one day and he retires a Celtic because that's what he should retire as," Rivers said during an episode of The Vertical podcast with Adrian Wojnarowski, which was released early Thursday. "So we have all that in place. We just don't know what he's going to do."

A couple of days ago, the LA Times' Brad Turner reported conflicting information about Pierce's future. One source told Turner that Pierce intends to return to the Clippers for his 19th season, but another told Turner that Pierce -- who is under contract with Los Angeles -- still hasn't made up his mind and expects to decide in a few weeks.

"I think Paul's going back and forth on it, and I want to give him room," Rivers said on the podcast. "I think he deserves it. From a team perspective you would love that he made his decision eight weeks ago. I think there are certain guys that you just have to give time to, and Paul's one of them."

Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan have already retired after this past season, and Kevin Garnett still hasn't decided whether to return for another year.

"It may go down as the greatest retirement summer in NBA history," Rivers said, hailing the competitiveness of that group. "The biggest thing, I think, those guys knew how to play. Kevin's knowledge of the game -- and Kevin doesn't want to hear it, I literally talked to Kevin last night -- but Kevin could be the greatest big man teacher in the game right now if he wanted to be. Whenever he did do it in practice there's no one better than that. Paul Pierce is an NBA encyclopedia. You can ask Paul Pierce any historical question about the NBA. He knows it, he studies it, he loves it. Duncan's the same way. What's neat about all three of them (is) they're all completely different individuals. I've never seen three different people, and Kobe can be four different individuals, yet all great in their own right."

Rivers has discussed Garnett's impact on the Celtics organization plenty of times before, but reflected on it again with Wojnarowski.

"I've never seen anything like it," Rivers said. "It's the biggest culture change that I've ever seen by one NBA player. Now I didn't believe it from afar. I always looked at Kevin like, there's no way some guy's that excited every night and that nuts. And when he joined our team, his energy at practice, his energy on the airplane -- I used to get on our guys, they played cards and stayed up talking about the game the entire East to West flights. And I used to get concerned, like guys, you've got to sleep at some point. That team never slept. It was a crazy ride and a great group, but they lived on something else because when Tom Thibodeau is sleeping more than the players you know something's wrong. And that was the group. It was just a great group, but it was all driven by Kevin, his willingness to sacrifice. The biggest thing with Kevin that I wish the stars understood the most is he had this ability to be coached and to trust. And when he gives his trust to me as a coach, then it's easier to coach the team. I mean complete trust. Duncan (was) very similar in that right."

"Every coach, and I say this whenever I speak at clinics, should have had the right to coach Kevin for one minute," Rivers added. "It would have made their lives better. It would have made them better coaches because when you can get on him -- and I got on him -- and he says yes sir, I'm sorry, my fault. Some of the times later when I watched I may have been wrong. He still took it. It makes your job really easy."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:04 pm

I don't like the idea of Paul Pierce playing for another season as it will only delay his number getting retired by the Celtics for another year.

In fact, I have not liked him playing for other teams either, but I do know that he did bring back four Nets first round picks.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Tough to see these guys struggle so much about the decision of whether to retire or not. I wish he would hang it up. He really did nothing much for the Clippers and hardly got off the bench in the playoffs. I know he played more with Blake Griffin out but he is watering down his career by hanging on. How many guys do this and regret it. Bring him home let us cheer him in that one game and then retire in Green. That is what . too, hated the fact that he was traded. Lets get it right this time.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/doc_rivers_plans_to_let_paul_p.html

Doc Rivers plans to let Paul Pierce retire as a member of the Boston Celtics if he steps away from the game

Los Angeles Clippers forward Paul Pierce smiles during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Miami Heat, Sunday, Feb. 7, 2016, in Miami. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on July 28, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Doc Rivers plans to let Paul Pierce retire as a member of the Boston Celtics if the star decides to end his distinguished career this summer.

"If Paul decides to retire then we're going to make sure that Boston picks him up for one day and he retires a Celtic because that's what he should retire as," Rivers said during an episode of The Vertical podcast with Adrian Wojnarowski, which was released early Thursday. "So we have all that in place. We just don't know what he's going to do."

A couple of days ago, the LA Times' Brad Turner reported conflicting information about Pierce's future. One source told Turner that Pierce intends to return to the Clippers for his 19th season, but another told Turner that Pierce -- who is under contract with Los Angeles -- still hasn't made up his mind and expects to decide in a few weeks.

"I think Paul's going back and forth on it, and I want to give him room," Rivers said on the podcast. "I think he deserves it. From a team perspective you would love that he made his decision eight weeks ago. I think there are certain guys that you just have to give time to, and Paul's one of them."

Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan have already retired after this past season, and Kevin Garnett still hasn't decided whether to return for another year.

"It may go down as the greatest retirement summer in NBA history," Rivers said, hailing the competitiveness of that group. "The biggest thing, I think, those guys knew how to play. Kevin's knowledge of the game -- and Kevin doesn't want to hear it, I literally talked to Kevin last night -- but Kevin could be the greatest big man teacher in the game right now if he wanted to be. Whenever he did do it in practice there's no one better than that. Paul Pierce is an NBA encyclopedia. You can ask Paul Pierce any historical question about the NBA. He knows it, he studies it, he loves it. Duncan's the same way. What's neat about all three of them (is) they're all completely different individuals. I've never seen three different people, and Kobe can be four different individuals, yet all great in their own right."

Rivers has discussed Garnett's impact on the Celtics organization plenty of times before, but reflected on it again with Wojnarowski.

"I've never seen anything like it," Rivers said. "It's the biggest culture change that I've ever seen by one NBA player. Now I didn't believe it from afar. I always looked at Kevin like, there's no way some guy's that excited every night and that nuts. And when he joined our team, his energy at practice, his energy on the airplane -- I used to get on our guys, they played cards and stayed up talking about the game the entire East to West flights. And I used to get concerned, like guys, you've got to sleep at some point. That team never slept. It was a crazy ride and a great group, but they lived on something else because when Tom Thibodeau is sleeping more than the players you know something's wrong. And that was the group. It was just a great group, but it was all driven by Kevin, his willingness to sacrifice. The biggest thing with Kevin that I wish the stars understood the most is he had this ability to be coached and to trust. And when he gives his trust to me as a coach, then it's easier to coach the team. I mean complete trust. Duncan (was) very similar in that right."

"Every coach, and I say this whenever I speak at clinics, should have had the right to coach Kevin for one minute," Rivers added. "It would have made their lives better. It would have made them better coaches because when you can get on him -- and I got on him -- and he says yes sir, I'm sorry, my fault. Some of the times later when I watched I may have been wrong. He still took it. It makes your job really easy."

bob

It would  be great to see KG  and Duncan go into the HOF together , Garnett talking smack into Duncan`s ear at the ceremony.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:04 am

Duncan can go in with Kobe and rightfully share the limelight with that attention whore and make everyone aware at the HOF ceremony of who was the only player in the NBA you'd rather have had than Kobe from 1997-2016. 

Pierce and KG should play one more year. KG so he can be on the only player to play in four decades of his life (teen, 20's, 30's, 40's) and Pierce so he can perform slightly better than last season and hit a few playoff daggers like with Washington in 2015. They can enter the HOF together a year after Kobe and make the ceremony a more fun affair revolving around their time together in Boston.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:10 am

Ram wrote:Duncan can go in with Kobe and rightfully share the limelight with that attention whore and make everyone aware at the HOF ceremony of who was the only player in the NBA you'd rather have had than Kobe from 1997-2016. 

Pierce and KG should play one more year. KG so he can be on the only player to play in four decades of his life (teen, 20's, 30's, 40's) and Pierce so he can perform slightly better than last season and hit a few playoff daggers like with Washington in 2015. They can enter the HOF together a year after Kobe and make the ceremony a more fun affair revolving around their time together in Boston.

^^^This^^^

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:50 am

Funny though that Doc should bring that up in his interview. It obviously is a foregone conclusion that PP will sign a one day contract at some point. Sad that he and KG could not have finished it out here. It would have been great to watch them coach these young guys, but I do understand where Danny was coming from and
hopefully Jaylen Brown will prove all the naysayers wrong.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down