Jaylen Brown: Working on 'a lot of stuff that people don't like to work on'

Go down

Jaylen Brown: Working on 'a lot of stuff that people don't like to work on' Empty Jaylen Brown: Working on 'a lot of stuff that people don't like to work on'

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:57 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/08/boston_celtics_jaylen_brown_wo.html

Boston Celtics' Jaylen Brown: Working on 'a lot of stuff that people don't like to work on'

By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on August 02, 2016 at 5:30 PM

One thing we know about the Boston Celtics is they frustrate opponents with perimeter defense. Avery Bradley navigates screens with quick-twitch reflexes that allow him to chase guards everywhere they go. Jae Crowder bumps players away from their intended destinations and spots openings to jump passing lanes. Marcus Smart once fought a lion with his bare hands and only fell when he decided to over-exaggerate a flop.

Though I'm pretty sure Smart never actually brawled with a lion, all those guys are rugged, intelligent defenders. Anybody who doesn't know how to guard opponents stands out -- and will have a tough time cracking the Celtics rotation. To that end, rookie Jaylen Brown said he is working to improve his defense this summer.

From SLAM Magazine:

SLAM: From now until the season starts, what are you really working on when you're in the gym?
JB: Just trying to get better everyday. The type of stuff that I work on now is defensive stuff, things that'll get me on the floor and a lot of stuff that people don't like to work on. Defensively, if I keep working on that, I'll continue to get better. Right now, I just work on a lot of defensive stuff and shooting the ball and things like that.

Brown also discussed signing with Adidas, his play in summer league, and a desire to meet Kanye West. In some ways, Boston's No. 3 overall pick already sounds a lot like his new coach Brad Stevens, stressing the importance of daily improvement. Asked to grade his summer league performance, Brown began his response, "I don't know. I wouldn't grade it. It's just like a way for me to get better and a way for me to continue to progress."

Like almost every rookie, Brown needs to acquire more defensive awareness. The rookie's two-way potential is great, but he also needs to harness his physical tools, work on his finishing and learn how to put the ball through the hoop from long distances away. There's a lot for the young guy to work on, and even though a defensive attitude always helps, Brown's new team needs offensive pop more than anything else

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down