Sam
LACELTFAN
MDCelticsFan
jeb
sinus007
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics 117 vs. Cavs 113, 4/4/10 Empty Post-game Thread: Celtics 117 vs. Cavs 113, 4/4/10

Post by sinus007 Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Sinus, I'm taking the liberty of converting your thread into the post-game thread. I don't know whether dboss is available to contribute on Easter, so people should feel free to comment below on the game, and I'll do the same.

Sam

Hi,
First, Mods, please feel free to put this post in the proper Post-Game thread.
2 things that surprised me: LJ got called for travel and announcers (on ABC, no less) admitted that refs made a mistake and usually do.
About the game:
1. 4th quarter cluster... you know what. Barely got away, thanks to LJ's poor shooting and horrible FTs. I think partially it was Doc's fault: should've kept starters on the bench longer.
2. RA is a savior: great shooting, 6 3-pts and the last one was extremely timely.
3. Poor shooting from KG and PP but excellent at the line.
4. I believe KG did get under LJ's skin, especially considering his gesture leaving the court.
5. Very important game in terms of boosting the team's confidence.
Sorry - got to go. Thank you very much,
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics 117 vs. Cavs 113, 4/4/10 Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics 117 vs. Cavs 113, 4/4/10

Post by jeb Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

anybody get a read on what was going on with james and kg at the end of game?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics 117 vs. Cavs 113, 4/4/10 Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics 117 vs. Cavs 113, 4/4/10

Post by MDCelticsFan Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Jeb: I don't think the discssion was about supper arrangments after the game!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Any day the Celtics win and the Lakers lose is a good day....in the NBA....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 pm

well i am glad kg and the team didnt back down. Man it has to be hard on doc. They play 3 quarters of just dominate ball against the nba's best regular season team and then just stop doing everything that got em there. It's like Sylvia Plath's bell jar comes down over their heads. This team can beat anybody in the nba and lose to them the next night. I honestly just dont have any ideal how the postseason is going to go. One thing I am sure glad the team is healthy. Credit to the cavs for never ever quitting.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:13 pm

and lacelt

Man Ginobli just willed the spurs to that win. He is really playing well and it looks like the spurs are goin to be a hard out.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Lebron James came to Boston, hop hop hopping all over the place like an Easter Bunny. But he too often strayed too far and ineffectually from the hole and, despite scoring 42 points, laid a big egg at the line. The Celts led handily for much of the game and withstood a furious Cavs rally to win 177-113. I thought the single pivotal point in the game was Ray Allen’s clutch sixth three-pointer near the end. And KG also deserves special mention for his free throw shooting in the clutch.

It was clear at the outset that the home team was responding big-time to the team meeting Doc called after the previous game. They came out smoking and keeping Lebron under wraps (he was 4 for 13 and o for 4 at the arc in the first half). Cleveland obviously missed an injured Anderson Varejao; and the fact that Jamison, Ilgauskas and Leon Powe accumulated a lot of fouls early-on made them much less mobile and tough in the middle than they usually are. Consequently the Celts went to the hoop with impunity, and Ray was dynamite from the arc. They shot 55% for the half (including 3 of 5 from three-point land). Their 9-point first quarter lead had ballooned to 16 at the half. And, by scoring the first two points of the third quarter, they achieved the 17-point cushion that has guaranteed wins in all but two games of the KG era.

However, it was obvious that the Cavs (and Lebron in particular) weren’t going to give up, even after the lead had mushroomed to 22 in the third. After a fairly even third quarter, LJ just kept driving and driving, and his successful penetrations and pick-and-roll passes to guys like Hickson and Parker completely wiped out the lead and put the Cavs ahead by one or two with a couple of minutes left in the game. It’s only fair to note that Paul Pierce, despite being a main cog in the outstanding first half defense of Lebron, tried to take far too much upon himself in the fourth, bricking several shots and committing turnovers. It was the late-game offense of the other starters that pulled the Celtics through. And, despite Lebron’s 42-point afternoon, he may well have been the fifth-best Celtics player in missing 8 of 22 free throws.

The Celtics player of the game had to be Ray: 33 points on 10-17 from the floor, 6-9 from the arc and 7-7 from the line in 42 minutes. Rondo was quietly spectacular, with 16 points and 14 assists. KG chipped in with 19 points and 8 rebounds, and Perk had 10 and 10. No one on the bench really sparkled, but they collectively spelled the difference in the score, outscoring their Cavs counterparts by that number while the starters broke even with Cleveland’s starters. The Celts’ bench outscored Cleveland’s 23-14 in the game and 12-2 in the second half.

Said bench consisted of Sheed, Tony (who also put in some time with the starters when Rondo and, later, Pierce got into foul trouble), Finley, Davis, and (for a two-minute cameo) Shelden Williams. Doc said after the previous game that he already knew what the playoff rotation would be. Today, it seemed that he put it in action. And the “losers” seem to be Marquis and Nate. My guess is that neither of those two has carved out a consistent, dependable role contribution to the degree that has been accomplished by Sheed Tony (who Doc said today would be his backup PG), Finley and Davis. Ironically, earlier in the year, it looked like Quis would be a primary backup at three positions. That honor seems to have been earned, instead, by Tony. It’s looking very much as if Williams, Nate and Quis will be available situationally but will not be part of the preset rotation.

Sheed really drew Doc’s ire with all sorts of histrionics that drew him a technical (I have no idea how he avoided a second). I believe it was he for whom Shelden substituted, as Sheed was not to appear again in the game.

Now is the time of the year when virtually all possible glimmers have come to light…the time to develop some kind of groove and develop momentum…the time to feast on the bottom-feeders and compete at a high level against playoff-bound opponents…the time to feel the rhythm and nurture the synergy. This was a tough game against a very good team that would have loved to plant a stake in the Celtics’ heart. The Celtics could have folded, and they stood tall at the end. They committed only 3 turnovers in the first half and 10 for the game. They assisted on 72% of their made field goals. This game will hopefully become a springboard to success instead of the trampoline to nowhere it might have represented.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:15 pm

if we execute and share the ball cleve is an attainable goal. I dont think the cavs are unbeatable. But they keep comin and they are very good. KG and James seemed to get into it when James was at the line and it went on for the rest of the game.

Wonder what they were saying? KG looked pretty active on defense...quite so. Pierce seemed really cold when he came back in the game. Ray won it for us. KG was standing pretty tall too... late.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Sinus

Thanks for stepping up.. I was working on my post game thread..Had company over for Easter and was late getting my thoughts together.

This was a game that Boston simply had to win. I didn't care how but I just knew the Celtics could ill afford to drop 4 straight and more imnportantly they were going up against the top team in the East and a potential playoff partner.

With both paul Pierce and kevin Garnett having sub par shooting performances, Ray Allen stepped up and hit every shot that they needed.

The 4th quarter almost collapse was characterized by too much isolation and a few missed opportunities.

As Sam has pointed out Nate and Marquis appear to be on the outside looking in.

If that is the case one can only wonder why these two players were added to the roster and it certainly makes the Eddie House deal look unnecessary. I did not agree with the trade and i do not understand why Daniles has found himself in the dog house. Ok so he has missed a few defensive rotations but so has everybody else.

Back to the big win. I am thrilled that Boston pulled this one out but I have yet to see this team shut down their opponents.

I just do not know about this team. If doc has finally settled on his rotation we just need to let these guys played together as much as possible. It looks like both William and Finley will be spot rotation players with TA, Sheed and baby cemented in the top eight.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Great win for the Celtics!

They needed this game much for than the Cavs did.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by fiorelladad Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 am

A much needed win but the always orbiting and never gone 2nd half collapse. Doc should be more aware of this and call a time out immediately as Pierce gets into his ISO for two consecutive possessions. No ball movement and KG and Pierce bricking us out of the game, meanwhile Ray running around the curls spotting himself up in vain. Would have been a hell of a statement game for all the NBA and naysayers if the C's would have blown out the Cavs as they were poised to do for 3 qtrs. Instead the win comes tarnished with the inevitable collapse in the fourth and the media comments that Lebron lost the game for the Cavs as easily as he willed their comeback. Not a mention of the C's dominance except to point out that they vanquished a 22 point lead and almost gave the game away @ home...again.
fiorelladad
fiorelladad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:08 am

Think of it this way, guys.

With Doc committed to a shorter rotation, there were four members of that rotation who could potentially have slowed down James as either the first or the last line of defense—Pierce, Tony, KG, or Perk. Every one of them was in foul trouble in the fourth quarter. It was difficult to maintain as tight a defense as they demonstrated through three quarters since Lebron was committed to driving on every play and those four guys had to walk on eggshells.

Where I felt the Celtics' problem lay was with their offense for two reasons:

1. Since they obviously weren't going to shut down Lebron on offense, their best response without fouling out was to keep reasonably close to the Cavs in terms of offensive output in the quarter. (They had a 17-point cushion to work with.) Allowing the Cavs' trapping defense to force so many Celtics turnovers and forced shots was just terrible execution for a veteran team.

2. Because they either turned the ball over or missed on so many possessions, it made Lebron's job easier by allowing him to get up a head of steam in a series of transitions, and that can be curtains.

This is not the first time their last quarter offense has fallen apart. Fortunately (and I hope it's a good sign) they stiffened their backs (or at least Ray did) and had just enough to win. Doc was screaming for them to push the ball and move the ball, and they were not doing either. Despite Rondo's generally good game, he needs to be a better floor general when the other team's making a charge like that. No one should ever start comparing him to Cousy until he can do that consistently. And it still appears to me that Pierce is trying to take too much upon himself and not trusting his teammates in such situations.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by fiorelladad Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:25 am

As always you show why it's better to be a hammer than a nail. Spot on.
fiorelladad
fiorelladad

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:10 am

Lebron plays 45 minutes, with no fouls? Amazing! Inhuman! Impossible!
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 am

pete wrote:Lebron plays 45 minutes, with no fouls? Amazing! Inhuman! Impossible!

Pete,

I hadn't noticed that. Good find!!

I remember one play when James was on a fast break all alone except for Rondo. Rajon had raced to get in front of James. James just swatted him aside before slamming it home. That was a play that captured EVERYONE'S attention (including the refs) but there was no call.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:26 am

Gyso,

I did not see the game, but do believe it is impossible for a player in the NBA, who plays defense, to accomplish such a feat. I do understand that he is the poster child, but at least try to make it look good.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:27 am

Or how about early when Tony Allen was going in a Bron came from behind and (?bloked?) it. If it was the OTHER way around ............what do you think is the call?

Bron...........the teflon giant! Nothing sticks.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 am

Beat,

Great avatar!
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 am

Pete

thanks

I was just in the process of changing it to another DJ photo for now.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:03 am

dboss,
actually I felt a bit of gilt stepping into bosses' shoes. I was really excited and didn't have much time: had to be better than a perfect husband (disclosure: my wife is a die hard Cavs fan)

Sam,
You're right about Sheldon for Sheed. Interesting episode: camera caught for a second or less RA talking to Doc with his arm pointing towards Sheed - I think he prompted Doc to make that substitution. Also, thanks for explaining the obvious to me (offensive production went to 0 in 4th quarter).

gyso,
I think everyone (=announcers) were wrong re: LJ pushing RR away. They replayed that instance later on in slo-mo and from a different cam and it clearly showed how RR was trying to avoid contact with LJ.

pete,
About 0 PFs on LJ: they called him for travel, so they had to compensate somehow Very Happy

jeb,
Unfortunately, I can't read lips. But it was clear that KG was screwing LJ's brains. There was an instance when somebody called a timeout and KG was walking to the bench and talking and talking and then they showed LJ talking back. Almost like a silent movie.

Sorry if I missed somebody Very Happy
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:25 am

Sinus,

Good point, that was a huge call!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm really happy that Doc was yelling at the offense to move. That's been my biggest complaint, that too often our guys just stand around. Good coaching Doc, and fine play Ray and Rondo.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

The Boston Celtics beat the Cleveland Cavaliers without Shaq, Varejao and Mike Brown (no great loss having that ass-kissing little toadie tossed, IMO). I missed the first half, so I can only comment about the 2nd half. Imagine my joy when I see we're up big at halftime against the best team in the league. This was matched only by my dismay at watching a 17 point lead evaporate in the 2nd half. A poster on the game on thread said this felt like a loss. This is a zero-sum game. If one teams loses, the other team wins. Period. Ask a Cavs fan and see if they feel like they won. We won. I can say that completely, totally and without a NY second's worth of hesitation; the same way I can say we lost to Orlando in the playoffs last year and our valiant struggle without KG, Leon and Scal didn't make it feel like a win.

1. Ray Allen is an amazing professional. What a treat to have him in green.

2. Danny should have been talking to teams about trading Pierce, not Ray. He looks slow, he looks old, he looks out of it. He'll retire in green, but I'm becoming increasingly sorry to have to say that.

3. If you look at LeBron's shot chart, it's obvious what worked and what didn't work. Actually, you don't have to look at the chart, you just have to look at the 4th quarter. He just did more of it then. He was very ineffective from outside but hell-on-wheels inside. When our perimeter defense was good on him, he couldn't hit outside shots but when Cleveland isolated him on top and he could turn the corner he was unstoppable.

LeBron's shot chart: outside-the-paint; in-the-paint
1st quarter: 0-4; 4-5
2nd quarter: 1-4; 1-1
3rd quarter: 1-3, 4-5
4th quarter: 0-5, 6-6

Game total: 2-16 outside the paint; 15-17 in the paint.

Once again, when our perimeter defense is good (whether it's against LeBron or Deron or anybody else) and we're preventing penetrations we do okay and when it isn't...I know, this sounds obvious and simplistic, but this isn't brain surgery either.

4. We had ganas yesterday. That alone was good to see. Cleveland did too, and they deserve credit for not folding up their tents and mailing in the 4th quarter, but we prevailed NOT because we figured out how to stop LeBron (we didn't) but because we wanted this bad and that's good.

5. We scored 19 points in the 4th quarter. Is that a scoring "drought", or is giving up 32 points in the 4th quarter (20 to LBJ) a defensive lapse? Probably a little of both but not a ridiculous lot of either one. Just a couple more points scored (like Rondo's blown bunny) and a couple of points better defensed (make LBJ shoot from outside) and this game wouldn't have been close.

6. Mike Brown was thrown out for running out onto the floor and then pursuing the ref and justifiably so. You can't do that and get away with it. Mike Brown was right about Perk holding onto someone's hand and preventing him from defending against Rondo's layup. Having said that, though, he has nothing to complain about overall. Both teams committed 27 fouls and his superstar was allowed to run wild for 45 minutes.

7. Tony Allen worked his butt off against LeBron in the half I watched.

8. Nate and Quis didn't play at all. Interesting. Both are struggling, true, but no minutes at all? Was this a preview of the playoff roster we saw yesterday for the Celts?

9. Finally, Rondo stepped up against his man. He outplayed Mo Williams. Mo shot lights out, but Rondo ran his offense and that's a point guard's job. It's about time he started bringing his "A" game.

10. To touch on one of Sam's preferred stats, the Celts assisted on 72% of their fgm. That is truly excellent. Cleveland assisted on only 50% of their fgm. I guess that's what you get when you have a one-man wrecking crew doing layup drills for most of the game.

This was a BIG game and a BIG WIN, in light of the 3 game losing streak. BIG.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:50 pm

No fouls for James is nothing new. Fouls are for expendable cavs. James is a 6-8 290 pound wrecking ball in a chippy playoff like game and he has no fouls and one tech when to say it yet again anybody else in the nba would have been tossed from that game. The new Jordan. And it will never change so get used to it guys for the next 7 or 8 years the "rules" of the game will be suspended for one guy.

Last edited by jeb65 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:54 pm

And what will the mistake by the lake look like when he's gone.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next