Cavs Exhibition: Seems King james is already making potential excuses for next week!

+3
BanglaCeltFan
Sam
beat
7 posters

Go down

Cavs Exhibition: Seems King james is already making potential excuses for next week! Empty Cavs Exhibition: Seems King james is already making potential excuses for next week!

Post by beat Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:03 am

Here is his quote after last nights game..............

James said the Cavaliers needed to improve, now and over the long haul.

“At the end of the day, it’s a preseason game and you don’t want to look too far into it,” said James. “We did want to play better, but we know can get better. That doesn’t mean we’re going to be on top of our game the first game. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for us to get to how we’re going to play for a whole season. Let’s not let the first game determine our season, either.”

When the standings could be close in April every win matters.
Red always made sure HIS teams were ready to START the season not a few weeks down the road!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Cavs Exhibition: Seems King james is already making potential excuses for next week! Empty Re: Cavs Exhibition: Seems King james is already making potential excuses for next week!

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 am

Beat, I took the liberty of expanding the title of your thread to make it a thread about last night's game, as I'm not starting the normal post-game threads for the last couple of exhibition games.

I've been one of those who have wondered whether the advent of Shaq would make it more difficult for Lebron to operate effectively. Frankly, based on last night's game, I mainly saw ways in which the two of them could complement one another pretty well (especially as the become better acclimated to ona another). I still think Shaq will be vulnerable to uptempo offense by opponents.

But what I found myself wondering last night was how the focus on that pairing will affect OTHERS on the team. I saw Z popping shots like he always does and the smaller guards hitting 3s and a few other good things from the supporting cast; but those things occurred mainly when Shaq and Lebron were on the bench. I'm thinking that perhaps the Cavs will now become subject to what I call the "Kobe syndrome," whereby the more Kobe takes over, the more tentative his teammates become. It's a chemistry issue of the highest order.

It could be that the Lakers have found a way to deal with the "Kobe syndrome," although I frankly don't think their opposition in last year's playoffs was stiff enough to provide a fair test. (And I'm NOT begrudging them their championship because they beat everyone they had to.) But I think this is a potential year-long problem for the Cavs in which the concern is not Shaq vs. Lebron but rather Shaq and Lebron against the rest of the team.

Lebron's very correct in asserting that this was just an exhibition game. But the Cavs obviously really wanted to make a statement, and unfortunately (against a partial team) they made a statement that generated more questions than answers.

And, for the record, my Celtics MVP last night was once again Marquis Daniels. Scal made a comment about Paul Pierce: "He gives the game what it needs" (or something to that effect). It looks to me as though 'Quis could be described in much the same manner.

Quis looks to be the ideal sixth man in the true Auerbachian sense. He comes in and is a gap-filler, doing whatever's not being done by the rest of the bench. He has that kind of versatility. I think Sheed will be a fine sixth man in the sense of being a very strong contributor off the bench (much as McHale was for a while). But Sheed will consistently play (as McHale did) to his own strengths, whereas 'Quis has the kind of "Jack of All Trades" versatility that I find reminiscent of Havlicek and Ramsey. He lacks the outside shooting touch, but I don't think the bench could handle any more of that with Eddie and Sheed on board.

I'm praying for good health because my distaste for predictions is sorely being tested by the word "juggernaut" that keeps pounding in my brain.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Cavs Exhibition: Seems King james is already making potential excuses for next week! Empty Re: Cavs Exhibition: Seems King james is already making potential excuses for next week!

Post by BanglaCeltFan Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:52 am

Nice post, guys! I was just thinking the same - Lebron lowering the expectations over in Cleveland - not just about the first game, but the "first few weeks." In addition to points you raised, I would also like to raise the possibility that a slow or inconsistent start might also affect their chemistry-building. Few serious losses and Shaq starts to malfunction...

BanglaCeltFan

Back to top Go down

Post by BanglaCeltFan Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:56 am

Sorry, I meant the team begins to malfunction (not necessarily just Shaq)

BanglaCeltFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:03 am

Hey Bangla, welcome to the board.

Some user names give me hunches that make me inquire into their derivation. Would you mind telling us how your user name originated?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BanglaCeltFan Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 am

I was born in that part of India that later became Bangladesh. Although I have not lived there since the age of 8, I have been back many times. Despite all the hardships, the people are beautiful there, as is the land. And, the national color is green!!

BanglaCeltFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:26 am

Sam

No problem in the change. Just seemed very odd to me but then if I was in his shoes and had just sat thru and played in an exhibition game that (we got our butts handed to us by a bunch of second and third stringers) I might focus too on the bigger picture down the road.

Red always won many early games simply because we were ready and the others teams were not.

We'll see about next week when both teams will have ALL the bullets in their guns!

Bron is still a force but you are right, in many ways he is his own problem and with shaq clogging up the lane Bron's game could and will have to change to a bit more outside. And with players like Daniels we have the length to at least bother those shots.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:59 am

Bangla, I had a feeling it was something like that. I first developed an interest in Bangladesh at the time of George Harrison's epic concert for the area. But I know very little about Bangladesh and would like to learn more.

If you ever have the urge (and I'm not trying to put pressure on you), I bet a lot of board members wouldn't mind the diversion from basketball if you decided to post a more extensive piece about Bangladesh and especially the Bangladesh people and culture.

Until then, enjoy the coming season. It should be great!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BanglaCeltFan Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 am

Sam, Thanks for the welcome. I will certainly do that for you at some point. However, if it takes a little while, it will be plainly because I want to take the time to write it properly. I have far too much respect for all the thoughtful writers here to do a quick and dirty job on that.
A quick comment on George Harrison's concert: in addition to creating a much needed interest in the plight of Bangladesh at the time, it also created generations of Dylan fans over there.

BanglaCeltFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:26 am

Here is the problem with LeBron’s comments. That is not the way the Cavs came out. If they rested their starters most of the night and then lost big, he could give us the “it was only a pre-season game” line and we would all buy it. But that runs counter to the reality.

Cleveland came out hard and ready to play. Shaq was taking it right at Perk, James was slapping Pierce’s hand off him, Anderson was trying to get into it with Sheed, and Mo Williams was his usual punky self….pushing Rondo a few times and then getting into it with Sheldon Williams.

Mike Brown brought his starters back in late in the 2nd quarter and they again came out in the 2nd half with their starting line up. They played to win, and still go SPANKED by our second unit. LeBron can say what he wants, but his team defense is not ready for prime time and if you add KG, Ray, Big Baby and Pierce playing regular season minutes – and the Cavs are in trouble imo.

As for my feelings on the game last night and exhibition season in general, I am positively stoked.

Sheed is a beast. He is aggressive, he is tough, and he was consistently pushing Varejao around and not taking any shit. Love his attitude.

Daniels is the find of the off season. He is clearly better than Parker and Moon – and just schooled them all night long. He is like an under control version of Tony Allen. Smooth, and strong, with unlimited athletic ability – and a good head for the game. Brilliant pick up.

Eddie House is on fire already. Locked in, shooting with no conscience, just stepping up and letting it rip. He is going to be a big piece of the puzzle this season, and with Daniels and Hudson – his ball handling won’t be a big deal.

I am very impressed with Sheldon Williams’s toughness…and he showed last night that he can hit shots when necessary. He looked strong and confident and rugged, and I think he is a major improvement over Mikki Moore.

Rondo’s confidence is off the charts, and maybe DA knew exactly how to get the best out of him….call him out and challenge him to step up. He killed Mo Williams, he destroyed Nate Robinson, and he made Calderon look like he was wearing cement shoes. Rajon is going to be a beast this year….an all star….and will get signed long term to a big deal in the off season.

All that and I didn’t even mention the Big 3, Baby or Perk….who all look much better than they did last year.

Man, this is going to be a great season. Celtics wire to wire on the way to #18.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:31 am

I am very impressed with Sheldon Williams’s toughness…and he showed last night that he can hit shots when necessary. He looked strong and confident and rugged, and I think he is a major improvement over Mikki Moore

Mrkleen

If that is not the understatement of the year!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:44 am

Bangla,

They could do a lot worse than Dylan. He wrote my all-time favorite line in a song ("Tambourine Man"), and it appears in a final verse not included in the Byrds' version:

"Yes to dance beneath the golden sky with one hand waving free."

I believe that's the way one should feel about life.

I look forward to whatever you can write about Bangladesh when the timing's comfortable for you. And, since this is a basketball forum, I'm interested in what part, if any, basketball may play in the culture.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am

Mrkleen,

Your enthusiasm is infectious. I know that most of us are "homers" who tend to look at things through rose-colored glasses more than is sometimes warranted. But there are so many obvious positives about this team that those glasses aren't needed this season. We just need to keep the candles burning for lack of injuries.

And one thing we probably talk too little about is Doc's contribution to all of this. He started the preseason with a number of question marks, and they now look to have a ton of momentum, confidence, and chemistry throughout the entire roster.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilRip Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:41 pm

i missed the game (i've only seen one preseason game so far! lol) but i wanna ask if anyone has any insight regarding how Shaq played with Lebron that game. on paper, i originally thought it would work out similar as to how Wade was able to play with Shaq. but the more i thought about it, the more i started having doubts.

Wade plays a game that is more perimeter based and he's got a wonderful mid-range game. Lebron punishes u inside with powerful drives to the hoope. That said, what i think will happen in Cleveland will be similar to what happened in the Suns with Stoudemire and Shaq, as opposed to what happened in Miami with Wade and Shaq.

can anyone shed any light on my theories? Razz
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm

As Doc said after the game, the Celtics had a taste of what it could be like to leave Shaq, even for a second, to focus on Lebron because Lebron is a good passer. Doc simply laughed off the claim that Shaq would clog the middle on Lebron. I think they'll eventually have pretty good chemistry between them. But, as I've said before, I believe the rest of the team may go to sleep watching the two of them play off one another.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BanglaCeltFan Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Cleveland's mantra is all about "getting a ring for Lebron." Someone please explain how a TEAM gels around such a concept!!

BanglaCeltFan

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Sam wrote:

But what I found myself wondering last night was how the focus on that pairing will affect OTHERS on the team. I saw Z popping shots like he always does and the smaller guards hitting 3s and a few other good things from the supporting cast; but those things occurred mainly when Shaq and Lebron were on the bench. I'm thinking that perhaps the Cavs will now become subject to what I call the "Kobe syndrome," whereby the more Kobe takes over, the more tentative his teammates become. It's a chemistry issue of the highest order.

It could be that the Lakers have found a way to deal with the "Kobe syndrome," although I frankly don't think their opposition in last year's playoffs was stiff enough to provide a fair test. (And I'm NOT begrudging them their championship because they beat everyone they had to.) But I think this is a potential year-long problem for the Cavs in which the concern is not Shaq vs. Lebron but rather Shaq and Lebron against the rest of the team.

Lebron's very correct in asserting that this was just an exhibition game. But the Cavs obviously really wanted to make a statement, and unfortunately (against a partial team) they made a statement that generated more questions than answers.

Sam

Sam- I didn't see the game the other night, but it's interesting that you bring this up. If you think back to the ECF last year, LBJ's teammates were already falling victim to this syndrome. especially in the 4th qtr. Cavs would spread the floor, LBJ would dribble at the top of the key or three point line, while everyone else stood around and watched. Their offense absolutely ground to a halt, and they stopped getting easy baskets off of LBJ assists. It also took a lot of energy out of Lebron, and you could see him wearing down at the end of games, turning the ball over, missing free throws, etc. If they continue to do this, they are in trouble.

It took a long time, really up until last year, for Kobe to have a team around him where he would actually be willing to pass the ball. When he would focus on being a facilitator and getting his points within the flow of the offense off open looks, they were pretty much unbeatable. Game 5 and 6 vs Denver were absolute clinics on how to destroy an opposing defense that is keying on Kobe. He played in a similar unselfish mode in the regular season games against the Cs and the Cavs, all of which they won.

But when they got to the Finals, it was like he felt that he needed to make sure he won the Finals MVP by scoring more than anyone else, which is the same thing he did against the Cs a year earlier. Too many bad jumpers with a guy or two in his face. When he plays like that, the Lakers are very beatable, which is why the Orlando series was closer than it otherwise would have been. Gasol, their most efficient player, was barely getting touches, and it was driving me crazy. It wasn't until Game 5 that Kobe started to facilitate again, and not coincidentally, they won game 5, in Orlando, going away.

I hope he will realize that if this team wins another title, he will get the Finals MVP award without needing to take 30 shots a game, as it is clearly his team, and they all play off of him. Because the most certain predictor of whether the Lakers are playing well is the number of shots Kobe takes. If it's less than 17-18, they almost never lose. 19-25 is an area where they become very beatable, and if Kobe is taking more than 25 shots, the Lakers almost always lose.

Back to the Cavs, if the other players end up standing around and watching the Lecrab dribble and Shaq show, they are in for a long season, as they won't get homecourt, which they need to have a real shot at beating the Cs in a 7 game series if everyone is healthy.

Which makes Mr Handshake's comments about them possibly getting off to a slow start even more puzzling. They need the homecourt more than any of the 3 other true power teams. C's, Magic and Lakeshow have all proved they can win on the road in the playoffs.

The Cavs ? Sorry, wins at the Palace and in the ATL against depleted squads don't count.

I can't wait for Tuesday. I'm going downtown early to catch the 2nd half of the C's-Cavs before heading into Staples. Will be very curious to watch how events unfold in the East this year.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Sky,

You have a logistical advantage over us. You can watch the eastern games and then the Laker's game. If we want to do the same thing, we have to stay awake untl midnight.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Sam

Nice to have a smart Lakers fan or two on board.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Thanks Jeb. Appreciated.

Sam- that's something I've always enjoyed about living on the West Coast- no such thing as a late game.

But you need to get your dvr set up so you can watch the Western games the next day.

Alternatively, you could just spend a month or so in Asia. The time difference on my bodyclock is doing a really good job of keeping me up all night right now. Smile
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Sky,

Cool! I think I'll just hop over to Asia for a month, hang 10 at a few beaches (or maybe even 20 if I get really lucky), and buy a hybrid or two. I like the way you think.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:40 am

babysky

Truedat. I lived inSan Fran for ten years and loved it for sports. The time zone works.

Out in sf right now as a matter of fact. The warriors muled the hornets.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:01 am

LBJ trotted out some similar quotes on Sportscenter tonight.

"It was fun. Great opening night.", etc, etc.

The "Win a Ring for the King" campaign is off to a rough start !
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down