R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot

5 posters

Go down

R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot Empty R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:16 pm

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/08/23/hunter-motivated-competition-for-last-roster-spot/HoF01hI2jzHEqD0FedMiaI/story.html

R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot 2f038b479fe74034869ded102948f308-2f038b479fe74034869ded102948f308-0-8694
“I haven’t been this ready for a season in a while,” says a confident R.J. Hunter.
AP FILE

By Adam HimmelsbachGLOBE STAFF

AUGUST 23, 2016

When the Celtics open training camp next month, the competition for the final roster spot will begin. As it stands, the team has 18 players under contract, not including a pair of camp invitees, and it will need to trim that to 15 before the start of the season.

Several league sources have indicated that second-year guard R.J. Hunter, third-year forward James Young, 27-year-old wing John Holland, and rookie forward Ben Bentil will compete for the last roster spot. Young and Hunter have guaranteed deals, Bentil has a partial guarantee, and Holland is nonguaranteed.

Although Hunter certainly appears to be the favorite to emerge from this group, it is unusual for a player who is just one year removed from being a first-round draft pick to find himself in a slightly precarious position. But that is what happens when a team amasses draft picks the way the Celtics have.

Nevertheless, the reality that this season is not promised to him is not lost on Hunter, the sweet-shooting guard whose shot simply was not that sweet during his uneven rookie season. So he has approached this summer with added urgency.

“I’m a competitor, so it’s just absolutely motivation for me,” Hunter said in a telephone interview. “I think it just adds an extra competitive spirit to training camp, which is a great way to get the year started.

“So I’d rather have it that way, because now I have no reason not to be on my toes on every possession and at every practice. So I’ll try to use it to my advantage.”

If Hunter and Young both explode during training camp and veteran wing Gerald Green struggles, it is possible — though quite unlikely — that both could make the team. Or, another roster spot could open through a trade.

No matter what happens around him, though, Hunter understands he has something to prove.

Last season he played a total of 316 minutes over 36 regular-season games. He should be most valuable as a knockdown shooter — perhaps Boston’s most pressing need — but he made just 19 of 63 3-pointers (30.2 percent). His numbers were actually slightly worse with the D-League’s Maine Red Claws, as he made 16 of 54 3-pointers (29.6 percent).

“I was rushing sometimes,” Hunter said. “Sometimes I wasn’t comfortable with the shots and didn’t know where my shots were coming from, but that’s just being young and learning your niche.”

Hunter remains quite confident in his shooting ability. At times last season he struggled with the game’s pace, and understanding how critical it was for each movement to be condensed to its most efficient form. So he has spent much of this summer focused on footwork.

“College isn’t scrub-level, but you can get away with mistakes sometimes,” Hunter said. “In the NBA, you have to consistently be sharp with your footwork. And our system is made so if you do it right, it works.

“So if I take care of the tactical things and the details, that’ll only just increase every movement I’m making on the defensive end.

“I know how the game goes now. I haven’t been this ready for a season in a while.”

Hunter has spent most of the offseason working out at home in Atlanta, and has had several sessions with Celtics teammates Al Horford, Jae Crowder, and Amir Johnson, and assistant coach Jay Larranaga. He also traveled to Chicago to train with assistant coach Brandon Bailey and rookie forward Abdel Nader.

Hunter has gravitated toward Horford, who became the jewel of the summer for Boston by signing a four-year, $113 million deal. Although Hunter is actually more familiar with the Celtics’ scheme than Horford is, he has been soaking up advice rather than sharing it.

“I’m not giving Al any pointers,” Hunter said with a chuckle. “If anything, I’m just listening to everything he has to say. He’s been really cool, especially with how successful he’s been. He’s been really down to earth and easy to talk to.”

bob

.   .   .
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot Empty Re: R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/08/23/hunter-motivated-competition-for-last-roster-spot/HoF01hI2jzHEqD0FedMiaI/story.html

R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot 2f038b479fe74034869ded102948f308-2f038b479fe74034869ded102948f308-0-8694
“I haven’t been this ready for a season in a while,” says a confident R.J. Hunter.
AP FILE

AUGUST 23, 2016

When the Celtics open training camp next month, the competition for the final roster spot will begin. As it stands, the team has 18 players under contract, not including a pair of camp invitees, and it will need to trim that to 15 before the start of the season.

Several league sources have indicated that second-year guard R.J. Hunter, third-year forward James Young, 27-year-old wing John Holland, and rookie forward Ben Bentil will compete for the last roster spot. Young and Hunter have guaranteed deals, Bentil has a partial guarantee, and Holland is nonguaranteed.

Although Hunter certainly appears to be the favorite to emerge from this group, it is unusual for a player who is just one year removed from being a first-round draft pick to find himself in a slightly precarious position. But that is what happens when a team amasses draft picks the way the Celtics have.

Nevertheless, the reality that this season is not promised to him is not lost on Hunter, the sweet-shooting guard whose shot simply was not that sweet during his uneven rookie season. So he has approached this summer with added urgency.

“I’m a competitor, so it’s just absolutely motivation for me,” Hunter said in a telephone interview. “I think it just adds an extra competitive spirit to training camp, which is a great way to get the year started.

“So I’d rather have it that way, because now I have no reason not to be on my toes on every possession and at every practice. So I’ll try to use it to my advantage.”

If Hunter and Young both explode during training camp and veteran wing Gerald Green struggles, it is possible — though quite unlikely — that both could make the team. Or, another roster spot could open through a trade.

No matter what happens around him, though, Hunter understands he has something to prove.

Last season he played a total of 316 minutes over 36 regular-season games. He should be most valuable as a knockdown shooter — perhaps Boston’s most pressing need — but he made just 19 of 63 3-pointers (30.2 percent). His numbers were actually slightly worse with the D-League’s Maine Red Claws, as he made 16 of 54 3-pointers (29.6 percent).

“I was rushing sometimes,” Hunter said. “Sometimes I wasn’t comfortable with the shots and didn’t know where my shots were coming from, but that’s just being young and learning your niche.”

Hunter remains quite confident in his shooting ability. At times last season he struggled with the game’s pace, and understanding how critical it was for each movement to be condensed to its most efficient form. So he has spent much of this summer focused on footwork.

“College isn’t scrub-level, but you can get away with mistakes sometimes,” Hunter said. “In the NBA, you have to consistently be sharp with your footwork. And our system is made so if you do it right, it works.

“So if I take care of the tactical things and the details, that’ll only just increase every movement I’m making on the defensive end.

“I know how the game goes now. I haven’t been this ready for a season in a while.”

Hunter has spent most of the offseason working out at home in Atlanta, and has had several sessions with Celtics teammates Al Horford, Jae Crowder, and Amir Johnson, and assistant coach Jay Larranaga. He also traveled to Chicago to train with assistant coach Brandon Bailey and rookie forward Abdel Nader.

Hunter has gravitated toward Horford, who became the jewel of the summer for Boston by signing a four-year, $113 million deal. Although Hunter is actually more familiar with the Celtics’ scheme than Horford is, he has been soaking up advice rather than sharing it.

“I’m not giving Al any pointers,” Hunter said with a chuckle. “If anything, I’m just listening to everything he has to say. He’s been really cool, especially with how successful he’s been. He’s been really down to earth and easy to talk to.”

bob

.   .   .
                                                                       I`ll be very surprised if Gerald Green doesn`t make the team. Even at 30, his physical skills exceed the other guys, and he has taken a long path to become  a  decent role player. Hunter seemed never to get in synch last season. The league requires composure and he didn`t show it often. Young just seems to lack energy. I don`t know what his story is.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot Empty Re: R.J. Hunter motivated by competition for last roster spot

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:08 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
bobheckler wrote:http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/08/23/hunter-motivated-competition-for-last-roster-spot/HoF01hI2jzHEqD0FedMiaI/story.html

AP FILE

AUGUST 23, 2016

bob

.   .   .
                                                                       I`ll be very surprised if Gerald Green doesn`t make the team. Even at 30, his physical skills exceed the other guys, and he has taken a long path to become  a  decent role player. Hunter seemed never to get in synch last season. The league requires composure and he didn`t show it often. Young just seems to lack energy. I don`t know what his story is.

JR,

Young just seems to lack energy. I don`t know what his story is.

His story will be "Gone with the Wind".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:07 pm

I hope Hunter can make our team, but he has no guarantees. His rookie year was not much to talk about, and he did not shine during the summer league either.

On the topic of James Young seemingly lacking energy, I think that he is lacking any understanding of being a professional player, and that his pre-professional successes were much more related to him being far more physically gifted than his opponents from grade school through his one year at Kentucky.

If a guy is "lost" he will certainly appear to have a lack of energy.

If Ainge can get a bag of used practice balls in return he will be doing well when moving Mr. Young. If he has to just kick him to the curb, I know some guys who may just donate the bag of used basketballs. (if they are truly needed).

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:59 pm

James Young seems to be taking the same path as Gerald Green. Lots of promise but no substance. Maybe in 8-10 years he could actually become a viable NBA player, but we do not have the time and patience to wait him out.

Sayonara!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Some facts seem to become forgotten

The similarities between young and Green bith were young about the same size and both had weak handles.

Green however was significantly better than young.

Green was 10 ppg scorer in year 2 and shot the 3 ball at a 36% CLIP. Young has nothing to offer.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down