Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings

5 posters

Go down

Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings Empty Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:50 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/09/sports_illustrateds_top_100_nb.html

Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings: Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder make the cut

Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings 20673983-mmmain
Amir Johnson (Curtis Compton / Atlanta Journal Constitution via AP)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on September 12, 2016 at 8:30 PM

The Boston Celtics will likely land five guys on Sports Illustrated's annual list of the top 100 NBA players, which the website started to release Monday.

The top 50 players have yet to be revealed, but the Celtics landed three players in the 51-100 range: Amir Johnson (No. 86), Avery Bradley (No. 72) and Jae Crowder (No. 53). It's safe to assume the team's two All-Stars, Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford, will both be recognized when Sports Illustrated publishes the rest of the list.

After two straight trips to the playoffs, the Celtics received far more respect from Sports Illustrated this season. Crowder and Bradley both made the list for the first time, while Johnson moved up a few spots despite only playing 22.8 minutes per game. The former two guys have done a lot of improving offensively, but, as much as anything else, SI's rankings seem like a nod to Boston's elite defense. That has been the backbone of the team's recent success, but won't be enough unless the offense begins to catch up.

Thomas does his part (and then some) on that side of the court. Much to his chagrin, Sports Illustrated ranked him 88th last year, but he appears to have jumped somewhere into the top 50.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings Empty Re: Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:50 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/09/sports_illustrateds_nba_player.html

Sports Illustrated's NBA player rankings: Isaiah Thomas of Boston Celtics at No. 45

Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings 20215206-mmmain
Boston Celtics' Brad Stevens, right, talks things over with Isaiah Thomas, left, during a game last season. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola)

on September 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM, updated September 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Isaiah Thomas received a major boost from last year in Sports Illustrated's annual NBA player rankings, but could still disagree with his spot at No. 45.

Last season, Thomas lashed out on Twitter after SI ranked him No. 88 in the NBA. This season, Thomas climbed 43 spots -- but, knowing him, still might take offense to where he landed. Considering he was the best player on a 48-win team -- and finished 16th in overall win shares, according to Basketball-Reference.com -- the Celtics All-Star could have a legitimate gripe.

Obvious disclaimer: when ranking basketball players that valuable, there isn't always much separation. For example, comparing Thomas to Andre Iguodala, No. 44 on SI's list, is a dreadfully difficult task. It involves judging two players in diametrically different roles and ultimately assessing whether a team gains more value from an offensive dynamo or a defensive maestro. Is Thomas more helpful to a basketball team than Iguodala? I don't know, but I'd want either guy on my side.

Sports Illustrated still hasn't released its top 30, but so far only one point guard ranks ahead of Thomas: Kemba Walker, No. 36 on the list. In a writeup, Sports Illustrated pointed out that Walker set career highs in points, rebounds, FT attempts, FG%, 3P%, TS%, offensive rating, Player Efficiency Rating and Win Shares. Thomas performed better in most of those categories, and scored more efficiently despite shouldering a higher usage rate in Boston's offense. Still, some of the advanced stats (like VORP, box score plus-minus, and ESPN's real plus-minus) favored Walker last season because of his defensive impact.

If I were a GM I'd still prefer Thomas, who could be due for an even better season now that the Celtics have Al Horford. The big man's shooting will spread the court, and his pick-and-roll prowess will keep teams from sending so much attention toward Thomas. After starting next to Jared Sullinger and Amir Johnson, two non-shooters, Thomas should have more cracks to burst through. We know he doesn't need much room to go and get a bucket.

Regardless of where Sports Illustrated ranked him, Thomas will have huge responsibilities in Boston. He has proven himself as a starter, an All-Star, and one of the best offensive players in the world, but surely hopes to advance in the playoffs this season.

(Note: Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder all joined Thomas in Sports Illustrated's top 100. Horford still hasn't been named, which almost certainly means he landed somewhere in the top 30.)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings Empty Re: Sports Illustrated's top 100 NBA player rankings

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:20 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/09/sports_illustrateds_nba_player_1.html

Sports Illustrated's NBA player rankings: Al Horford of Boston Celtics at No. 18

Jim Pignatiello | jim.pignatiello@masslive.com

on September 15, 2016 at 9:00 AM, updated

September 15, 2016 at 11:09 AM

At least according to Sports Illustrated's top-100 rankings, the Boston Celtics have the NBA's 18th-best player.

Al Horford received that lofty spot on the list Wednesday, joining new Celtics teammates Amir Johnson (No. 86), Avery Bradley (No. 72), Jae Crowder (No. 53) and Isaiah Thomas (No. 45) in the top 100. SI still hasn't released its top 10, but it's safe to assume nobody from Boston's roster will land quite that high.

Horford almost cracked that level, though, which should remind Celtics fans how much the big man should impact his new team's success. In a write-up about why Horford deserved his ranking (which is one spot better than Klay Thompson's), Rob Mahoney pointed out that Boston's free-agent acquisition would fit well in any system:

Horford can post, guard, space, rotate, cut, pass, switch, screen, rebound, and pop to whatever degree makes sense and succeed in all areas. He can spend his time on the low block, the elbow, the top of the key, or the baseline depending on what openings are available, and he can either play up when defending a pick-and-roll or drop back as the system demands. Horford will shoot better than 50% from the field and rarely turn the ball over, regardless, closing the loop one of the most comprehensive skill sets in the NBA. If you still aren't under the impression that Horford is a genuine star, you have a lot of homework to do.
Is any of that paragraph news? No, it's not. But seeing Horford's value described so beautifully should convince Bostonians to crack a wide smile, at the very least.

According to Andy Bailey, the Celtics are one of just six teams with five players on SI's top-100 list. So at least at Sports Illustrated, there's a lot of respect for the rising talent level in Boston.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status/775796470586814464/photo/1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:57 am

Jay Kings says if he were a GM he's prefer Thomas to Kemba Walker?

Hmmm

Give me Walker please. In addition to posting stats similar to Thomas in all those categories posted above, he went for 17-18pts and 5-6 assists in the 3 seasons prior to that. He is remarkably consistent, plays very good defense and is 15 months younger.

The contract comparison has pro's and con's for both. Kemba has 3/36 left and Thomas 2/13. Obviously one counts for more now and would eat into more cap space DA might have big plans for next summer. But it means Thomas will hit free agency right before his age 30 season summer of 2018, wanting 20+ million a year when he likely will drop off significantly if he slows even half a step, b/c of his height and already poor defense. 

Walker will be dirt cheap at 12m in 2018-19 when Thomas will expect his first 25 million or so, and while he also hits FA before his age 30 season, he's 6'1" and has a body type/game that looks like it will make his success much more sustainable into his early 30's. Plus the team won't have two years of massive contracts to 30+ guys in Horford/Thomas, just one year of Horford/Walker. 

No disrespect to Thomas, who has greatly improved his game and done this franchise well over the last 2 years, but Walker is correctly ranked if anywhere from 5-15 spots ahead of him. I'm fine with Thomas anywhere in the 40's and Walker anywhere in the 30's.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 am

IT better not bitch and moan in social media about this ranking. SI has him over a few guys I would definitely prefer to him:

Giannis and Porzingis of course. They are ranked 48 and 68. Wiggins and Jokic I'm 99% sure I'm taking over him. They are ranked 67 and 78. I'm about 75% sure I'd rather have Clint Capela and Nerlens Noel, #'s 79 and 84. 

50-50 calls:

McCollum and Beal are tough to choose over him, Beal b/c of health and McCollum b/c he is just not that much (or at all) better, but with the lack of good SG's in this league, and the next few drafts being full of more pure PG's than Smart or IT, I'd probably lean this way. 

Jonas Valeciunas - If great shooting/scoring SG's are scare, so are guys who defend the rim and rebound tenaciously like Jonas. I'd take him over IT b/c of his rare skill, relative youth and even better contract but it is another one that is very close. 

Thomas is also given more love at PG than either his former teammate Eric Bledsoe or 85 million man Reggie Jackson. I'm sure a lot of GM's would lean in the direction of those two similar age guards locked up under longer pre-craziness contracts and who are not 5'9" and defensive liabilities.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:22 am

Guys ranked ahead of Thomas who I'd take IT over right now. Assuming it means the C's inherit the rest of their contract and it is not just a 2016-17 thing. 

Iggy - 44
Batum - 43
Ibaka - 42
Brook Lopez - 38
Dwight Howard - 34
Kevin Love - 30

Guys who are 50-50 for me ahead of Thomas:

Pau Gasol - 41
Middleton -39
Whiteside - 35
Melo - 24

and Dirk #31, Wade #32 and Bosh #37 are all guys I'd probably rather have for 2 more years over Thomas, but who could also fall off a cliff talent wise and be officially washed up in the next 6 months.

Gordon Hayward #27 and Khris Middleton #39 are guys I thought very underrated the last 2 years and really hoped the C's would part with a Net's pick in a deal for but remained on their current teams. Hayward has an opt-out after this season.

Last edited by Ram on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:05 am

Bradley is sorely underrated.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:15 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Bradley is sorely underrated.

KJ

Bradley is better than Crowder

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:03 am

Ram wrote:IT better not bitch and moan in social media about this ranking. SI has him over a few guys I would definitely prefer to him:

Giannis and Porzingis of course. They are ranked 48 and 68. Wiggins and Jokic I'm 99% sure I'm taking over him. They are ranked 67 and 78. I'm about 75% sure I'd rather have Clint Capela and Nerlens Noel, #'s 79 and 84. 

50-50 calls:

McCollum and Beal are tough to choose over him, Beal b/c of health and McCollum b/c he is just not that much (or at all) better, but with the lack of good SG's in this league, and the next few drafts being full of more pure PG's than Smart or IT, I'd probably lean this way. 

Jonas Valeciunas - If great shooting/scoring SG's are scare, so are guys who defend the rim and rebound tenaciously like Jonas. I'd take him over IT b/c of his rare skill, relative youth and even better contract but it is another one that is very close. 

Thomas is also given more love at PG than either his former teammate Eric Bledsoe or 85 million man Reggie Jackson. I'm sure a lot of GM's would lean in the direction of those two similar age guards locked up under longer pre-craziness contracts and who are not 5'9" and defensive liabilities.

I think IT is entitled to say whatever he likes in social media irrespective of the fact that  SI ranks him higher than you do , Ram. You make some interesting points, but players don`t succeed without confidence and expressing that confidence in social media, or anywhere else, is the players perogative.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down