Matty
mulcogiseng
7 posters

Go down

The Impact of Rajon Rondo Empty The Impact of Rajon Rondo

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:05 pm

http://www.nba.com/bulls/gameday/impact-rajon-rondo

By Sam Smith 4 MIN READ

Jimmy Butler was with the gold medal winning 2016 USA Basketball Olympic team this summer, but when he wasn’t, he often was with teammate Taj Gibson. They talked about a lot, what happened and was supposed to be, how it might be. So they see the new guy, Rajon Rondo. They didn’t quite know what to expect, either.

“I was with Jimmy and we ran into Rondo and he was telling me we’re going to have some fun,” Gibson recalled as the Bulls prepare to play the Brooklyn Nets Monday. “So from the time we got in we kept having meetings, team functions; the team gets together in the movie room, watching film, constantly together, constantly talking, (him) letting us know our strong points and weak points."

Rondo, he is constantly in my ear. Even when the game is over, I’m hearing his voice, like, ‘Taj, Taj, Taj.’ Even in practice, ‘By yourself.’ It’s been a great thing.”

All the Bulls players have been careful to note it’s two wins, and both at home. This week is three of four on the road and rematches with Boston and Indiana away. But there’s also a voice suggesting this may not be a fluke, and it’s a voice no one quite expected. But the play of Rondo, who arrived with a sometime reputation of voicing the wrong things at the wrong time, has only been a sweet sound to these Bulls.

“Rajon really has been committed to getting the ball up the floor,” said Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg, not unaware of an impressive 30 fast break points in Saturday’s win over Indiana. “He talks in every huddle: ‘Guys, run with me, run with me. I’ll throw it ahead.’ If our bigs run to the rim they’ll get a ball thrown to them. It’s something we’ve tried to stress; our guys have played very unselfishly. He’s a guy the minute he stepped into that gym the middle of August he’s been committed to talking, setting the tone in practice. It’s fun to play with a guy like that who is going to get the ball up and down the floor, who will get you open shots; he’s a guy who’s done it his whole career.”

And doing it now.

Rondo, though shooting just three of 14, is averaging 11 assists per game in just 29 minutes. His penchant to keep his head up and find players running the wing for scores is something Hoiberg has stressed. Would these supposed ball holders run without the ball? Butler’s late second quarter slam dunk on a 70-foot Rondo pass was a compelling answer. Rondo had another similar one later with Robin Lopez streaking ahead of the Pacers.

“Anytime you come to a new team and with a new player there is a learning curve,” said Lopez. “But playing with Raj so far has been real easy. I get a lot of easy buckets playing with Raj.”

Though it’s also not difficult to understand why Rondo has run into issues, at times, as well as fast breaks. Rondo doesn’t say much to reporters. He’s not rude, but his answers are short and direct, and shorter if you don’t think about the question. He certainly suffers no fools. So a reporter asked Gibson about Rondo not saying much. Gibson was taken aback. “He talks,” Gibson said almost incredulously.

He sure does. About the game, about what he sees, about what you should do, and it usually makes sense. And often. Not a lot of coaches, like military drill sergeants, like discussion. Already, players have said Rondo has been firm with teammates in practice. Nothing personal, but he knows what he knows. He’s played for quality coaches, but coaches also known to have strong egos, like Doc Rivers, Rick Carlisle and George Karl. With Hoiberg, Rondo seems to have developed a comfortable and effective rapport that also has been welcomed by his teammates.

“Fred lets Rondo call the plays,” said Gibson. “We run the sets, but he gives Rondo the freedom to pick and choose plays and Rondo is always looking for guys for easy buckets. We’re sharing the ball and our main thing is the pace is always good, getting it right away and running and we’re getting out and going. Rondo’s always watching film. Today he let me know spots I needed to be on the offensive end, defensive end. I took it in and I was there. And when we are switching on defensive sets he’s in there fighting. He’s scrappy with the big. He’s always, ‘Let’s go let’s go, lets run, let’s get out.’ Fred trusts him and I even trust him.”

It’s also more sign of strength as a coach than weakness. Phil Jackson was famous for letting his players get through tough times without a timeout. You don’t see Steve Kerr with the Warriors calling all the plays, slowing things down. All the sports have come to rely too much on coaches and managers with little actual playing experience deciding the play or pitch. It’s refreshing to see players who know how to play the game entrusted with the game.

They’re not going to be doing group hugs, though. Rondo generally has one of his children with him leaving the locker room and seems more inclined to the sedentary outside life. Not on the court, however.

“It’s all about relationships,” he said after Saturday’s game. “We don’t have to like one another off the court, but at the end of the day when we get on the court you have to play for one another and that’s what we’ve done. We’ve been putting in the work; so far so good, but a long way to go.”

My favorite part was when someone asked him about being surprised about the team appearing so cohesive so soon. “No,” Rondo said. Then he said nothing and stared. Players are often presented statements posing as questions. They’ll then produce some sort of long answer, even if it’s filled with mundane clichés. Not Rondo. He’s not doing your work for you. You better bring it. It seems similarly with teammates. Be serious and he’ll get you the ball. Lollygag and you’ll be just, you know, lollygaggers. Rondo doesn’t have time for lollygaggers.

“Who doesn’t want the ball?" he agreed. “Everyone wants the ball, everyone wants to score. We’ve been doing a great job cleaning up the glass. Our bigs have done a great job boxing out and our wings are getting out wide and running.”

They’ve been serious, and Rajon Rondo is as serious as a well timed elbow.

“He’s a pure leader,” said Gibson. “He’s always talking, letting us know what’s going on, always being encouraging. No matter we miss a shot, two shots, he’s still throwing you the ball, hitting guys for open looks. He doesn’t care if you miss or mess up. He’s always going to be encouraging you and that’s the kind of guys you need on your team if you want to be successful.”

My Comment:
This is an interesting article about how well Rondo is doing in Chicago. He seems to have the players and the fans on his side to start the season.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

The Impact of Rajon Rondo Empty Re: The Impact of Rajon Rondo

Post by Matty Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:24 pm

good for rondo,

its not been an easy ride for him. he really has to be in a system built to his strengths to flourish. he will always be among my list of favorite Celtics. if it wsnt for Wade being on that team I could root for them a bit once in a while. I'm still hoping he ends with a HOF career behind him.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:40 am

I have read this story about Rondo before. He always seems to 'start' strong, but before long is complaining about playing time, behaving badly with refs and being a general pain in the ass. He was a big part of our last banner and his heart and effort brought it all together, so he will always have a place in the heart of Celtics fans.

But overall, he never grew up. He is still too stubborn for his own good and that has taken HOF level talent, and often watered it down with a bunch of distractions. I wish him well, but cannot root for Wade or any team from Chicago.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:07 am

Watched some of Rondo's game last eve. Sure he did pretty well on the offensive end. But he was getting schooled on thevdefensiv end way too often. He just lost his man.

Bulls have a good team but it's a long season.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:15 am

lets see what hey are saying at the end of the season.

I predict Rondo will continue to wear out his welcome in city's and will end closer to a vagabond NBA player than a HOF'er

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:39 am

I do not recall Rondo getting a lot of bad press in Sacramento last year.  And he was also very productive with 11.9 PPG, 11.5 assists (led the league) 6 rebounds and 2 steals.  Shot 45% from the field and 36% from behind the arc.  His free throw shooting was again horrible.  

I think the Bulls are a good fit for him because he will get guys easy shots.  Both Wade and Butler like to take a lot of shots and Rajon is perfect fit just as he was a perfect fit for the big three.  Bottom line he gets guys easy shots.  I hope that he does well as he remains one of my favorite Celtics of all time.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:23 am

Rondo can play the veteran card and actually get some of the young guys to listen.  He is still very headstrong and may clash with his head coach before the end.  Carlisle wanted to call all the plays, that is where that relationship went south.  Rondo's current coach had to know this when they signed him.

Still, Wade and the Bulls.  I cannot wish them any kind of good luck.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down