Maine Red Claws

3 posters

Go down

Maine Red Claws Empty Maine Red Claws

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:13 am

MY NOTE: I CHANGED THE NAME OF THE THREAD TO BE MORE GENERAL. THIS IS WHERE OUR GUYS IN D-LEAGUE, LIKE NADER, GET THEIR RECURRING 15 MINUTES OF FAME.

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2016/11/red-claws-edge-legends-behind-jackson.html

The Maine Red Claws improved to 2-0 on the season with their win over the Texas Legends on Saturday. Once again, the Celtics draft picks and training camp invitees led the way to the 137-131 victory. Celtics second round pick, Demetrius Jackson led the way with 29 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal and 1 block. Jackson has signed a 4 year contract with the Celtics, which indicates that even though he was a second round pick, the Celtics have hopes of him sticking around.

Another draft pick, Abdel Nader also played well. Nader impressed in Summer League but didn't play in training camp to become the Celtics first domestic stashed player. They retain Nader's rights as they watch him develop in Maine. Nader finished with 27 points, 5 rebounds, 8 assists and 3 steals.

Also playing well were training camp invitees Jalen Jones, Damion Lee, and Marcus Georges-Hunt. Jones finished with 21 points and 8 rebounds. Lee added 15 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 steal. Marcus Georges-Hunt recorded his first double-double of the season with 21 points and 11 rebounds.

In a very exciting game, the Red Claws erased a 17-point deficit with an incredible fourth quarter performance. Maine scored a franchise-record 52 points in the final quarter, and 85 points in the second half, which is also a Red Claws record. The Legends scored 40 points or more in two quarters and still lost the game. The Red Claws shot 50 percent from the floor, 43 percent from 3-point range, and 90 percent from the line.

You can watch the entire game on the Red Claws website here  http://dleague.nba.com/games/20161112/MNETEX/. The Red Claws will be in action again on Tuesday, November 15 on the road against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. You can catch the game here.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Maine Red Claws Empty Re: Maine Red Claws

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 am

BONUS VIDEOS:

MY NOTE:  I see a lot of Evan Turner's game in #4 Nader.  Do you see what I am talking about?

Vs OKC Blue, 11/12/16

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:30 am

Jackson is the only one of those two with a contract with the Celtics, am I right? I liked Nader a lot in the summer league, he is a hard nosed player who always found a way to get his hands on the ball. Maybe you right in your comparison to Turner, Bob. I know one thing we miss him more than anyone wants to admit. He was a Stevens favorite, I am sure he hated losing him, I understand where Danny was coming from though, I do not believe he is a $70 million dollar player. I only saw the stats from one game, but, Turner was a -36 in that game
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:05 am

Nader can hit the three consistently, that was never ET's game. Otherwise I see some similarities. The big question: can he play defense? If so maybe Danny should call him up for a stint until we get Crowder and Horten back. Or is that not possible?
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:07 am

Two things about Nader's game that makes me think of Evan Turner:

1.  He is a straight-line-to-the-basket player as soon as he gets the lane and

2.  He has Turner's high, loose dribble that drove me crazy (but often worked).

Turner could play 2/3.  If Nader can play 2, then good.  At 6'6" he is too short for today's 3s but at 230# he weighs 10# more than 6'7" Evan Turner.  That might be Nader's downfall, at 230# he won't be quick enough to stay in front of guards.

If you haven't watched the videos, he is fun to watch.  He definitely likes to go to the rim, and I am just fine with that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:24 pm

He is quick, no doubt about it, and, he doesn''t hesitate to drive to the basket whenever the opportunity arises. His outside shot looks a little better than Turner's, but I guess you have to remember he is playing for the Red Claws, not the Celtics.

I wonder what the thinking is with regard to his future. With Jackson already under contract, how many of this type player can we have (guards, I know he is a 2 not a point guard). There are so many questions surrounding this team right now.

It was good to see Mickey get meaningful minutes the other night. He is a smart young guy and the only way he will get better is to play with the big boys. I like him, he is not afraid of anything or anyone I just wish he was a bit bigger.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:52 pm

I wish I could see him play against real NBAers. Then we'd know. Notice, on his first play of the video, how he is strong enough to hold his man off and on his hip with his left elbow without needing to throw it out or flail with it and get called for an offensive foul.

This kid is strong, at least vs D-leaguers.

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2016/11/red-claws-win-hom-opener-114-98-over.html

The Red Claws won their home opener 114-98 over the Long Island Nets. The Red Claws led 59-50 at the half but Long Island stormed back to take a 70-69 lead in the third quarter but the Red Claws closed the quarter on a 12-2 run to take an 83-76 lead into the 4th quarter. In the 4th, the Nets again got back in the game to tie the game at 88. From that point, Maine out-scored Long Island 26-10 to take the 114-98 win at home.

With Demetrius Jackson back with the parent team, Celtics training camp invitee, Marcus Georges-Hunt started at point guard and recorded the 11th triple-double in franchise history. He finished with 22 points, 10 rebounds, 13 assists and 2 blocks.

Celtics draft pick Abdel Nader had another strong game with 24 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals. However, he also turned the ball over 8 times. The two other training camp invitees, Jalen Jones and Damion Lee also played well once again. Jones finished with 31 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals while Lee finished with 15 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:53 pm

I wonder what the thinking is with him. are they interested in him or just giving him a shot for other teams to notice this is the kind of kid Danny usually likes. I still feel someone is going, I don't know who or where, but Danny wants to trade badly. We need firepower. It is obvious that Green has not won over Stevens heart or rotation list. I think he will be gone by February unless something drastic happens and he gets a clear shot at playing.

Keeping these guys at arms length, (Maine), is something other teams wish they had. More are watching this and trying to do the same.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 am

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/15059-demetrius-jackson-goes-for-26-points-in-assignment-from-boston-celtics-red-claws-down-mad-ants-111-103

Jackson goes for 26.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:44 am

He has been up there most of the season. What do we do with all the guards?? After watching the game the other night, I am beginning to believe
that Smart is going no where. They love his defense and a good team needs a guy like that. We have so many decent guys under contract I just wonder where some will end up. According to Tommy the other night, Rozier is a "keeper" . I love his game too, his rebounding skills are great for a small guard. But...does he stay??? Someone has to go. Thinking that they are putting these guys on the red claws on desplay?? Jackson, Nader?? Mickey seems like the forgotten man on the bench, another JJ????

Fun to watch young guys play like these guys are playing but can they do it against the big boys?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:25 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:He has been up there most of the season. What do we do with all the guards??  After watching the game the other night, I am beginning to believe
that Smart is going no where. They love his defense and a good team needs a guy like that.  We have so many decent guys under contract I just wonder where some will end up.  According to Tommy the other night, Rozier is a "keeper" . I love his game too, his rebounding skills are great for a small guard. But...does he stay???  Someone has to go. Thinking that they are putting these guys on the red claws on desplay?? Jackson, Nader?? Mickey seems like the forgotten man on the bench, another JJ????

Fun to watch young guys play like these guys are playing but can they do it against the big boys?

Rosalie,

Tommy thinks everybody in green is "a keeper", even the ball boys.

Somebody has to go, one way or another, it seems to me.  It just not might happen until summertime.  Then we start talking about Bradley and IT extensions (they will both have one more year on their contracts) which I predict now will not happen.  No extensions for them, and I think it will be their choice, to leave their options open on the UFA market, but the questions of "what to do with Danny's stockpile" still needs to be answered.

Danny's stockpile

1.  Ante Zizic - not a guard, but will probably use up a roster slot.
2.  Guerschon Yabusele - also not a guard, but fills a role as an outside shooting big.  Kelly replacement, meaning Kelly trade?  He is an RFA this summer.
3.  Abdel Nader - a swing.  Maybe not a loss if he heads to Europe, he has never laced up an NBA sneaker, but he has enough talent to be considered.
4.  Demetrius Jackson - shooting point guard, which is now in vogue in the NBA.  
5.  Jordan Mickey - rim protecting swing who cannot seem to get on the floor.
6.  Terry Rozier - a guard who is earning minutes and experience and whose game is similar to Bradley's.
7.  Brooklyn's 2017 pick, which will translate into a high quality player, either by itself or through trade to another team.
8.  Jaylen Brown - an athletic wing, and #3 pick, who is only earning limited minutes.

That's a lot of incoming, or currently on roster, players that slots need to be open for OR you have to figure out what to do with them.  In the case of the Euro stashes that might not be a problem, since we own them for however long we want them.  In the case of the D-leaguers, it might not be the end of the world if they leave the organization, but then you have to wonder what Danny was thinking when he drafted and signed them.  We also have 2 2nd round picks this year too, but there will be nowhere to put them.

Outgoing

1.  Amir - his 2 years with us is appreciated but I don't see him with us next year.
2.  Jonas - same.  I like Jerebko a lot but he doesn't have a unique skill set that gives him an irreplaceable niche.
3.  Young - unappreciated  and will not be missed.
4.  Kelly - his contract price will be high because he is a proven NBA player, 7', can spread the floor and has excellent court vision for a player that size.  I'm predicting he will be gone by the trade deadline or by the summer in a sign-and-trade.  Yabu and Zizic are possible replacements for his skills sets, although not exactly. Yabu can replace his shooting, Zizic can replace his size, but Zizic doesn't have his shooting touch.
5.  Green - He is a possible keeper but only because he will be cheap.  He is playing on a vet minimum this year.  If he asks for much more than that next year then he is gone too.

So, 8 players that either are in the system and proving themselves or will be via the draft and only 5 players that are likely earmarked for departure.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:33 pm

you really think he will not keep IT and Bradley? I am in disagreement there. Bradley has turned into a valuable player for this team, a guy they can use on any guard, big or small. I know, I know, Marcus can do the same thing. But I just do not agree here. The only thing against him is his age, because guards start to go downhill around 33 or so.

My thinking is Rozier is going to be gone, good rebounding guard, plays excellent defense at times and at times, is terrific offensiely but he is too eratic. (I think we may have said this about Bradley at one time)

IT????? this will be a really tough one to sell fans if he continues to shoot the way he is now and win games for them. How do you get rid of him and read the sports pages later? One thing Danny hates to do is give something good away. Marginal players he can pass on, but, this is a tough one. Again, his age may be against him here too, time will tell. I would hate to see him go, unless there is something behind of door #3!

This is what they call ....a conundrum?????? Good luck to Danny working this all out.

I do feel those two big guys will find themselves here next year and unfortunately, my boy Jonas will be gone. Too bad, I really like the guy alot.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:02 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:you really think he will not keep IT and Bradley?  I am in disagreement there. Bradley has turned into a valuable player for this team, a guy they can use on any guard, big or small. I know, I know, Marcus can do the same thing. But I just do not agree here. The only thing against him is his age,  because guards start to go downhill around 33 or so.

My thinking is Rozier is going to be gone, good rebounding guard, plays excellent defense at times and at times, is terrific offensiely  but he is too eratic. (I think we may have said this about Bradley at one time)

IT?????   this will be a really tough one to sell fans if he continues to shoot the way he is now and win games for them. How do you get rid of him and read the sports pages later? One thing Danny hates to do is give something good away. Marginal players he can pass on, but, this is a tough one. Again, his age may be against him here too, time will tell. I would hate to see him go, unless there is something behind of door #3!

This is what they call ....a conundrum??????  Good luck to Danny working this all out.

I do feel those two big guys will find themselves here next year and unfortunately, my boy Jonas will be gone. Too bad, I really like the guy alot.

Rosalie

Rosalie,

I'm not ready to say now that either IT or Bradley will be gone but I am ready to say that their anticipated BIG contract demands will compel Danny to make some tough choices and trading away players on rookie contracts is not going to get it done, not if Danny is big game hunting which means big contract and he most certainly is big game hunting.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down