Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona

+3
international
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona Empty Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:17 am

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016/12/9/13900458/boston-celtics-ante-zizic-europe-2016-draft

Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona

Boston believes 2016 1st round pick is at the right stage in his developmental process

by heinnews  Dec 9, 2016, 2:00pm EST

Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona Usa_today_9353824.0
Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports

Webster’s definition of stash - to store in a usually secret place for future use

- - -

ZAGREB - The Boston Celtics are using the draft-and-stash method of development for 2016 first round draft pick Ante Zizic. Given the literal definition of the word stash, the Croatian big man isn’t doing a very good job. His loud numbers are anything but a secret.

And that is probably exactly what Celtics management and Boston fans want to see.

How many times have NBA fans looked at the stats of a European player drafted by their team and say: What? We picked this guy? He can’t even put up numbers in Europe how is he supposed to do anything in the NBA?

Well, Celtics fans … get ready for some big numbers for Boston’s No. 23 draft pick, who is starring for Croatian club Cibona Zagreb.

The 19-year-old is averaging 21.2 points in the Adriatic ABA League on 69 percent shooting from the field and 80 percent from the free throw stripe while grabbing 9.5 blocks, blocking 1.4 shots a game and dishing out 1.5 assists. The loudest showing was his 37 points, 20 rebounds and 3 blocks in 46 minutes of a double overtime win over MZT Skopje.

And his most recent outing came against Serbian club Mega Leks - which is a talent production factory - with Zizic unimpressed as he scored 35 points in 30 minutes and grabbed 12 rebounds.

His numbers in the Basketball Champions League are nearly as strong with 16.4 points on 59 percent shooting and 73 percent on free throws to go with 5.0 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.

And the Celtics are definitely keeping an eye on Zizic, who turns 20 years old next January 4.

"We think he's playing really well and having a big impact on Cibona's season,” Celtics international scout Benas Matkevicius told Ridiculous Upside. “Cibona really cares about him and the future and want him to succeed just as much as we do.”

One big positive for Zizic being with Cibona is his playing time. He is averaging 31 minutes per 40-minute game in the ABA and 27 minutes in the Basketball Champions League.

"We think he's playing really well and having a big impact on Cibona's season. Cibona really cares about him and the future and want him to succeed just as much as we do.” Celtics international scout Benas Matkevicius about Ante Zizic

“He's in the right place at this stage of his career and continues to improve while playing plenty of minutes,” Matkevicius added.

Zizic is showing his whole arsenal of skills with Cibona. He has a number of power moves going to the basket and also has a face-up jumper. The Split native has great hands - catching a lot of average quality passes into the post - and a great feel and touch around the basket - also going to the reverse side of the rim to score.

Zizic has a great motor and possesses good footwork and goes up quickly when he gets the ball without bringing the ball down. He also can finish at the rim with both his right and left hand and blocks shots with both hands as well.

Former Boston great Dino Radja - himself from Split - said he is impressed with Zizic’s skill set.

“He's young, but he's got some good stuff. He's a guy who never stops; he doesn't have a second of time out. He's always active; he's always on the ball. He might not grab every rebound, but he's always there,” Radja told the Celtics’ website.

“He's young, so he's very raw. There are a lot of areas where he can improve, but he's a good, good talent. … What I've seen so far is that he can become a really good player.”

Playing in Europe against veteran players is a huge benefit for Zizic and his development - such as games against 33-year-old Shawn James with Montenegro club Buducnost.

Zizic, for his part, knows he still has plenty to do.

“I can improve in every segment of the game. I literally work on everything … every fundamental aspect and I think you can see my improvement in every game,” Zizic said in an interview with the ABA.

The 6-11 big man doesn’t plan on staying in Europe long.

“My plan is to join (the Celtics) next year when I am 20. I want to stay there. I don’t want to be the guy who waves the towel for two seasons and then goes back to Europe,” he said.

“I think there is time to improve and I think I can improve throughout this season and throughout the summer. That’s why I decided not to leave before next season.”

One thing is sure, Ante Zizic is making sure everybody in Europe takes notice of him. Not exactly what is meant by the word stash, but Europeans are happy to have him one more year.

bob
MY NOTE:  He's young and has zero experience with NBA defenses, rules, speed and athleticism.  HOWEVER, he certainly makes Tyler Zeller expendable.  The biggest question mark, for me, with this kid is his BBIQ.  I'm not saying his is bad, I really don't know that, but for him to jump to the NBA at only 20 years old and not have the years of watching the NBA and hearing about the NBA game from his High School and College coaches, it makes me wonder just how quick his assimilation will be.  We all have to start somewhere, and I am more than ready to give him Zeller's spot, but I'm not expecting great things from him for at least 2 years.  He's like a 6 month old Great Dane.  All happy and eager to see you and play with you, but his tail is sweeping the coffee table clean.  He will need time.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona Empty Re: Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona

Post by 112288 Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:16 pm

SO WHEN CAN HE JOIN THE CLUB FOR A TRY OUT???

Back to top Go down

Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona Empty Re: Celtics pleased with Ante Zizic’s development at Cibona

Post by international Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Bob,dont forget the fact that he has an older brother who is a former member of Croatias national team and a star in the best leagues of Europe.Jokic and Nurcic did not have that benefict and both have done well in the NBA.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:07 pm

I like that 80 percent free throw percentage
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:37 pm

112288 wrote:SO WHEN CAN HE JOIN THE CLUB FOR A TRY OUT???

I don't think his season ends in time to make an NBA roster. Yabu's does.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:00 pm

he stinks
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:38 pm

Thanks Bob.

I would like to see the Frenchman this year!

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:38 am

After watching last night`s game with the Spurs, I`ll say this: if our bigs were half as tough as our smalls we`d be in business. While I like aspects of Horford`s game , I include him. Kelly seems to be regressing. Amir is a ghost. When Zeller is your best big on the floor, you are in trouble.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 pm

One thing I noticed from watching the video on Zizic is that he appears to stand flat footed a lot when rebounding. He has so much hops that you cannot slide a thin piece of paper under his feet.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:12 pm

dboss wrote:One thing I noticed from watching the video on Zizic is that he appears to stand flat footed a lot when rebounding.  He has so much hops that you cannot slide a thin piece of paper under his feet.

dboss

Well we know he has hops. His dunking highlights are pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu0Qgg0gkoA

The enthusiasm for Zizic should be tempered but not extinguished. I think the Celtics should expect the floor of Zizic to be a better rebounding Zeller who dunks more. We forget Zeller is creative on offense when given the chance and passed to on his rolls or has plays run for him. He is just your definition of a backup though, and Zizic looks to be able to match his offense with improvements on the boards and at the other end, meaning even if he has a year of growing pains, he should be better than Zeller and better than your average backup by 2017-18. 

It is too early to say what his ceiling could be. Wouldn't we all love Jokic on our team right now? During the 2014-15 season in the Adriatic league (his age 20 season like Zizic) and a year he was being stashed as a 2nd rd pick of the Nuggets he put up these stats:

Jokic:  30.5 mins - 15.4 pts - 9.3 rebs - 3.5 asts - 1.5 stls - 0.9 blocks - 50/34/66 shooting splits
Zizic:  30.3 mins - 20.3 pts - 9,8 rebs - 1.4 asts - 0.8 stls - 1.3 bocks - 68/80 shooting splits

Zizic has about an inch on Jokic and is more of a pure center than a PF/C hybrid who shot four 3's a game in the Adriatic league. Zizic does not shoot 3's, nor will he get the assist/steal numbers of Jokic. But he's a better rim-protector who blocks more shots and shooter a higher percentage in the paint. 

Jokic came out of nowhere these past two seasons to post PER's around 21 in just 22 mins of floor action, providing roughly 10 points, 7 boards and a steal per game and plays solid positional defense. Hopefully Zizic breaks out the same way, although it would be nice if it were coming as a backup to Cousins.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Ram wrote:
dboss wrote:One thing I noticed from watching the video on Zizic is that he appears to stand flat footed a lot when rebounding.  He has so much hops that you cannot slide a thin piece of paper under his feet.

dboss

Well we know he has hops. His dunking highlights are pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu0Qgg0gkoA

The enthusiasm for Zizic should be tempered but not extinguished. I think the Celtics should expect the floor of Zizic to be a better rebounding Zeller who dunks more. We forget Zeller is creative on offense when given the chance and passed to on his rolls or has plays run for him. He is just your definition of a backup though, and Zizic looks to be able to match his offense with improvements on the boards and at the other end, meaning even if he has a year of growing pains, he should be better than Zeller and better than your average backup by 2017-18. 

It is too early to say what his ceiling could be. Wouldn't we all love Jokic on our team right now? During the 2014-15 season in the Adriatic league (his age 20 season like Zizic) and a year he was being stashed as a 2nd rd pick of the Nuggets he put up these stats:

Jokic:  30.5 mins - 15.4 pts - 9.3 rebs - 3.5 asts - 1.5 stls - 0.9 blocks - 50/34/66 shooting splits
Zizic:  30.3 mins - 20.3 pts - 9,8 rebs - 1.4 asts - 0.8 stls - 1.3 bocks - 68/80 shooting splits

Zizic has about an inch on Jokic and is more of a pure center than a PF/C hybrid who shot four 3's a game in the Adriatic league. Zizic does not shoot 3's, nor will he get the assist/steal numbers of Jokic. But he's a better rim-protector who blocks more shots and shooter a higher percentage in the paint. 

Jokic came out of nowhere these past two seasons to post PER's around 21 in just 22 mins of floor action, providing roughly 10 points, 7 boards and a steal per game and plays solid positional defense. Hopefully Zizic breaks out the same way, although it would be nice if it were coming as a backup to Cousins.

Ram,

I agree. Tempered but not extinguished. If there is one thing about his game that I don't like, from the videos I've watched (and I've watched every one I've posted) it is that you don't see any outside game. Since these are highlight films I presume we'd be seeing mid-range+ fgm if he had any. He is not as floor stretcher, if so. We need a physical low post presence, I'm GREAT with that part of his game, but if we pair him with Horford, then what will he do when Horford is down low in the blocks? He can't be outside because nobody will respect that. I want a low post presence, but I don't want to turn Al Horford into a permanent high post/3pt player just because his running mate cannot take over that part of the game for him. The defense will collapse on Al if Zizic is out at the frito line or further.

He's only 20. Not the end of the line for him, certainly, but that does appear to be a weakness. His inside game, rebounding, shot blocking and fritos, though, look good.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 pm

At 19...give him 2 years of shooting 20-30 footers during the summer and now you'll have your outside presence.

The kid is very coordinated athletically for his size. All indications are for a bright future with us.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:06 pm

We shall see. I am not impressed at this time.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:17 pm

dboss wrote:We shall see.  I am not impressed at this time.

dboss

It will take more than a 20/10 in the most competitive league in Europe at age 19 where multiple players have come out of lately to make a big impact in the NBA to impress dboss!
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:24 pm

The kid is a kid and GOOD!

You have to be more insightful when viewing a prospect including age. What I look for in a BIG is good hands, athletic, can motor on the fast break, great side to side movement and above all likes to bang!

This kid has shown me all of the above at 19

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:00 am

Shawn James showed me something. Too bad he's 33.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down