NBA, NBPA Announce Tentative Deal On New CBA

Go down

NBA, NBPA Announce Tentative Deal On New CBA Empty NBA, NBPA Announce Tentative Deal On New CBA

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:13 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244285/NBA-NBPA-Announce-Tentative-Deal-On-New-CBA

NBA, NBPA Announce Tentative Deal On New CBA

DEC 14, 2016 7:45 PM

The NBA and NBPA have reached agreement on a tentative deal on a new collective bargaining agreement. The deal is pending ratification by players and team owners, which is considered a formality.

The parties have agreed to extend the mutual deadline to opt out of the existing CBA from Dec. 15, 2016 to Jan. 13, 2017 in order to finalize more minor points.

The new deal will cover seven seasons though both parties are likely to own an early opt-out.

The existing split of basketball related income is expected to remain unchanged with players receiving between 49 and 51 percent. The lockout of 2011 saw the players' share drop from 57 percent.

bob
MY NOTE:  The trade deadline this year won't be February or March or whenever, it will be January 13th, in my opinion.  That's because once that date passes the teams will be committed to the new CBA and so they will be making changes to position themselves for it while they have the flexibility of the old CBA (the rumors are that the new CBA will be similar to the old one but may make blockbuster deals harder).  So, there will be flurry of activity starting tomorrow, I think, as players signed this summer have finished their trade moratorium and can be moved and then there will be more activity the 2nd week of January, which is only 4 weeks away.  Will there be more deals at the "real" deadline?  Sure, but I don't think Danny will make any deal that will jeopardize his flexibility for off-season free agents signings by adding long-term contracts.

The best news, here, is that there should be no work stoppage.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA, NBPA Announce Tentative Deal On New CBA Empty Re: NBA, NBPA Announce Tentative Deal On New CBA

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:22 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244286/New-CBA-To-Contain-Designated-Veteran-Extension-Provision

New CBA To Contain Designated Veteran Extension Provision

DEC 14, 2016 8:30 PM

An important new aspect of the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement will be the ability for teams to sign their own players to extensions.

Teams will be able to choose up to two Designated Veterans to sign to a long-term extension.

The ability for teams to sign their own players to extensions was compromised as part of the collective bargaining agreement that was put in place in 2011.

The initial beneficiaries of the new provision will likely be the Indiana Pacers and Sacramento Kings who will be able to extend Paul George and DeMarcus Cousins, respectively, in the 2017 offseason. Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder could also agree upon a new extension.

Criteria for those designated players will be based on achievements, including appearances on All-NBA teams and Most Valuable Player and Defensive Player of the Year award winners.

Zach Lowe reports that Year 1 of the extension can be any amount up to 35 percent of cap even if the team has no cap room.

bob
MY NOTE:  Not sure I understand this.  Can't teams sign their players to extensions already?  Isn't that what OKC did with Westbrook?  Couldn't Larry do that with Paul George now, if George is interested in staying in Indy and likes the offer?  The way I would see this, if I understand it at all, is that by enabling Sacto to sign Boogie to an extension now it makes him more attractive to a trading partner since he will then be in a long-term contract and not in his final year and free as a bird after that.  That would reduce the risk to the receiving team and maybe grease the wheels a bit since the player can't kibosh the deal by refusing to re-sign with the new team. Sure, it would make life less stressful for GMs to know they have so-and-so locked up too but if they are going to re-sign them they are going to re-sign them anyway, right?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down