Veteran Al Horford delivers in crunch time for C’s

Go down

Veteran Al Horford delivers in crunch time for C’s Empty Veteran Al Horford delivers in crunch time for C’s

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:06 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/01/bulpett_veteran_al_horford_delivers_in_crunch_time_for_c_s

Bulpett: Veteran Al Horford delivers in crunch time for C’s

Horford delivers in crunch time

By:  Steve Bulpett

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Veteran Al Horford delivers in crunch time for C’s 010617celticssc018
SHOOTING STAR: Al Horford puts up a 3-pointer during the Celtics’ 110-106 victory against the 76ers last night at the Garden. Staff photo by Stuart Cahill

Brett Brown was just seconds away. Joel Embiid — the Prince of The Process — had made two free throws to give the 76ers a 106-104 lead with 27 seconds left.

Another defensive stop or two, and Philadelphia, in just the 34th game of the season, could match its 2015-16 total of 10 wins.

But there in the right corner at the west end of the Garden stood Al Horford, owner of as much experience as four-fifths of the Sixers’ starting lineup. He’d scored just five points through the first three quarters, missing both his shots from beyond the 3-point arc, before finding life in the fourth.

So late show captain Isaiah Thomas moved left on a Kelly Olynyk pick out past the top of the key, and of course he drew two defenders. Thomas passed to Olynyk, who took one dribble toward the hoop to lure Embiid from his corner duty, and Olynyk found the wide-open Horford.

The second-biggest free agent score of the offseason proceeded to splash his fourth trey of the period into Boston’s harbor, giving him 14 points for the frame and 19 for the game. Two defensive holds by the Celts later, and Brown was walking down the inner hallway with a 110-106 defeat.

Courtesy of fine Celtic ball movement and, mostly, Al Horford’s long-range missiles.

“I mean, they’re backbreakers,” said Brown, pronouncing that last word backbreakahs, because, while he has moved on to Australia, San Antonio and now Philly, his accent never left his Portland, Maine, upbringing. “You have to pick your poison. How much attention are you giving to Isaiah — and then where the hell is Al?

“It is the holy grail of our sport when you can find somebody that creates two defenders. With him picking and popping, you’ve got to go find him after you’ve dealt with Isaiah. Killahs (killers).”

Or, to Brad Stevens, life preservers. On a team that is still young and growing, it helps a coach sleep better to know he has a pair of 30-year-old hands into which he can place the ball at key moments of an evening.

“It’s great that you have a guy that’s up to the moment, that’s been there, done that over and over and over,” Stevens said.

It was certainly good for the Celts last night, and some of Horford’s mates are looking at the longer-term benefit. And not just in moments that make the stat sheet.

“I think it’s important for us in the future — as in in the playoffs — having someone that can keep their composure,” said Avery Bradley after pouring in a game-high 26 points. “When they went up, Al, I remember I heard him say that, you know, ‘It’s fine, guys. We’re going to make the next play. We’re going to make the shot.’

“And Isaiah came off and gave it to Kelly, and Kelly just made a smart play to Al in the corner. And he knocked down the shot. No hesitation, either.”

From his corner perch, Horford could see the play unfold in almost slow motion. He’s seen this before — a few seconds earlier on Stevens dry erase clipboard.

“Just how we drew it up,” Horford said. “Just how we drew it up. Like exactly. That’s how coach drew it up. He knew they were going to help, and Kelly just found me. I just had to knock the shot down.”

The 6-foot-10 center developed an appreciation for Stevens’ hoop intellect as an opponent. Now he gets to execute it instead of guard it.

“I feel like he’s thinking two, three steps ahead of us, of all of us,” Horford said. “It’s one of those things that he sees things on the floor that we’re probably not even acknowledging, and he just tries to exploit weaknesses.

“I remember last year going against them in the playoffs, we always had a hard time, because he knew how to pick at us and find ways to get good shots.”

He also offers some credit to the coach for his 3-point abilities that have manifested in a 10-for-19 performance over the last three games.

“I think it’s two things,” Horford said. “One of them is I’ve put in the work shooting those 3’s and getting comfortable with that shot. But the other is really coach allowing me and giving me the confidence to go out there and do it. Coach Stevens has done that. I’m going out there, and if I’m getting good looks, I’m taking them.

“Once I got back in the game (with 7:55 left in the fourth quarter), I think I got a look early and it felt really good. I was just kind of in a zone there. Guys just kept finding me, and I was just knocking them down.”

To the point where he even outscored Thomas in IT (Isaiah Time), the fourth quarter, 14-8.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down