NBA coaches to launch Michael H. Goldberg Coach of the Year Award

Go down

NBA coaches to launch Michael H. Goldberg Coach of the Year Award Empty NBA coaches to launch Michael H. Goldberg Coach of the Year Award

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18480101/nba-coaches-launch-own-michael-h-goldberg-coach-year-award

NBA coaches to launch Michael H. Goldberg Coach of the Year Award

10:01 AM PT

Marc Stein
ESPN Senior Writer

NBA coaches are joining the annual awards circuit.

The National Basketball Coaches Association announced Sunday that it will introduce its own Michael H. Goldberg Coach of the Year Award this season, which will be voted on at the conclusion of the season exclusively by the NBA's 30 head coaches.

The award has been conceived to honor Goldberg, longtime executive director of the NBCA, and will be recognized by the league in addition to the annual NBA Coach of the Year award voted on by a media panel.

"This award honors the life work of a great leader, tireless foot soldier for the best interests of coaches and the NBA and, most importantly, a trusted friend," said Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, who serves as NBCA president. "The Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award will have special meaning because of its namesake and the fact that it is voted on by all head coaches."

Said NBA commissioner Adam Silver: "Michael Goldberg is a legend in basketball circles and has distinguished himself by his relentless advocacy on behalf of NBA coaches and his deep caring for everyone involved with our game. This new award reflects his vital and everlasting contributions to the NBA."

The NBA Players Association has conducted its own year-end awards balloting after each of the last two seasons separate from the NBA's array of year-end awards voted on by media members. The NBA's annual Executive of the Year award is also voted on exclusively by league executives.

The coaches decided to follow suit to reward the winning coach for both on-court success and off-the-court impact in the community as well as to pay tribute to Goldberg, who became the NBCA's first executive director in 1980, six years after it was founded.

"It is truly an honor and a privilege to be recognized by this award," Goldberg said in a statement. "I have been very fortunate to work with the National Basketball Coaches Association for over 35 years. During this time, I have found the coaches to be passionate, wise, and caring
leaders. This award, determined by peer vote, is tremendously meaningful to our NBA Coaches, the League, as well as for my family and me."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down