Jaylen Brown in Dunk Contest?

+3
arambone
RosalieTCeltics
mulcogiseng
7 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown in Dunk Contest? Empty Jaylen Brown in Dunk Contest?

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:29 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/01/boston_celtics_jaylen_brown_de.html

BOSTON -- Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown said he has received word from the NBA about potentially participating in next month's Slam Dunk Contest, but has not decided whether he will enter the competition.

Before practice Friday morning, Brown said he plans to make up his mind sometime this weekend. Believe it or not, he's actually concerned about the impact the dunk contest would have on his body.

"I'm not really worried about anybody (else who might be in the contest) or anything," Brown said. "I think I have a lot to offer. It's just with your rookie year, your body and everything, it's just a lot. It may seem foolish, all those dunks and stuff, they look cool, but it takes a toll on your body for sure. And I want to put myself in the best position to help this team. The dunk contest -- it may or may not take from it, but I don't think it's good or bad. It's just something you've got to decide about."

According to the Boston Globe's Adam Himmelsbach, Brown has not received an official invitation from the NBA. But the league has reached out to the Celtics expressing interest.

"I heard from our Celtics department," Brown explained. "I didn't hear from the NBA. They just told me, 'If you want to do it they've been asking about you,' or whatever. 'They've probably been asking about a few others but if you want to do it just let us know.' I said, 'OK.' I said, 'I'll let you guys know.' So they gave me a few days to decide."

Brown does plan to play in the Rising Stars Challenge if invited.

"I'll go to that," he said. "I think that's the first day (of All-Star weekend). I'll probably be in the gym over the break too, just trying to get prepared. I'm sure a lot of people take time off, which is good. I may take a day or two off, but I'll want to get on the court and work on some stuff too."

If he does dunk at All-Star weekend, Brown believes he would unleash "some stuff that somebody's never seen before." The 20-year-old wing has received pointers from teammate Gerald Green, the 2007 dunk contest champion.

"A lot of it's just mental creativity," Brown said. "G-Green has been coaching me up a lot and things like that, giving me a lot of good ideas I wouldn't have thought of on my own."

"It's creeping up fast, faster than I thought it was," Brown added. "It's almost All-Star weekend. I think we're, what, two or three weeks away so it's come up a lot faster than I thought. I haven't even had time to think about if I wanted to do it or not. I've been focusing on the season and everything that's going on in front of me now. So I think this weekend I'll figure it out officially if I'm going to do it or not. I'll make the decision."

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown in Dunk Contest? Empty Re: Jaylen Brown in Dunk Contest?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:51 pm

no no no no the kiss of death!!!!! I know the kid would probably love it, but, history tells me that this is not a good move for a Boston player. Dee Brown?? Just went to his head. Look at Gerald Green, here one year and gone the next.

Let the kid go to the gym and keep working on his game. Maybe once he becomes the superstar Tommy Heinsohn thinks he will become, we can urge him to go.

Just my opinion. I know others will disagree.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:no no no no   the kiss of death!!!!!   I know the kid would probably love it, but, history tells me that this is not a good move for a Boston player.  Dee Brown??  Just went to his head.   Look at Gerald Green, here one year and gone the next.  

Let the kid go to the gym and keep working on his game.  Maybe once he becomes the superstar Tommy Heinsohn thinks he will become, we can urge him to go.  

Just my opinion.  I know others will disagree.

I agree Rosalie. He can show off his dunks in the rookie/sophomore game the night before.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Rosalie I totally agree and kid has a good head on his shoulders since he doesn't seem to be impressed either.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Jaylen Brown in Dunk Contest? C3B-rkZUEAAJxbA

bob
MY NOTE:  Everything I have heard and read about and from Jaylen Brown has impressed me regarding his maturity and focus for a young man who just turned 20 years old and a multi-millionaire.  This is just one more brick in that green wall for me.  Well done, young man, well done.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Very Impressed Bob It is extremely hard in this day and age for young players to turn down anything that will shine a spotlight on theem. This kid is a quality person. I like him even more now. Good luck to him, I hope he makes everyone eat their words about drafting him before Middleton or any of the others. I look forward to many years of enjoyment watching this kid grow as a player. He is not really a kid, his is mature beyond his years for sure and very intellegent.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Jaylen Brown was not invited to the Rising Stars Challenge.
A list of players invited is in the link below.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18552984/karl-anthony-towns-joel-embiid-highlight-nba-rising-stars-rosters
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:18 pm

tjmakz wrote:Jaylen Brown was not invited to the Rising Stars Challenge.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18552984/karl-anthony-towns-joel-embiid-highlight-nba-rising-stars-rosters

Rising Stars is not the Dunk Contest. He was invited to the Dunk Contest. In fact, I think an argument could be made that turning down the Dunk Contest after being passed over for Rising Stars is even more impressive. He didn't let his ego make the decision for him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Smart missed the first year of the Rising Star game didn't he?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Jaylen Brown was not invited to the Rising Stars Challenge.

Rising Stars is not the Dunk Contest.  He was invited to the Dunk Contest.  In fact, I think an argument could be made that turning down the Dunk Contest after being passed over for Rising Stars is even more impressive.  He didn't let his ego make the decision for him.

bob

Bob,

To clarify, the Rising Stars Challenge nominations go out after the slam dunk contest invitations go out.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Good call by Brown.

Mature decision. Smart kid.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down