CANNOT KILL THIS 3 HEADED MONSTER > Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics

+6
kdp59
bobc33
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
wideclyde
10 posters

Go down

CANNOT KILL THIS 3 HEADED MONSTER > Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics Empty CANNOT KILL THIS 3 HEADED MONSTER > Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics

WEEI - 01.30.17 at 12:19 pm ET

By Rob Bradford

Carmelo Anthony

It still appears to be a longshot, but according to the Boston Globe the Knicks are holding out hope that the Celtics agree to become a landing spot for Carmelo Anthony.

The Globe is reporting that while Danny Ainge has told New York he isn’t interested in dealing for Anthony, the Knicks continue to push for a deal with the C’s, showing interest in some of the pieces on Boston’s roster. It was reportedly the impetus for a Knicks’ scout’s attendance at the recent Celts win over the Bucks in Milwaukee.

Anthony does have a no-trade clause in his deal, but has identified the Celtics as one of the teams he would accept a trade to.

The 33-year-old forward is currently averaging 22.6 points and 6.2 rebounds per game for the underachieving Knicks, which hold the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference standings with a 21-27 record.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Knicks sent scouts to Milwaukee to evaluate Celtics players

January 29, 2017

By Gary Washburn

Globe Staff

MILWAUKEE — The Knicks haven’t given up hope on including the Celtics as a partner in a potential deal for Carmelo Anthony, sending a scout to Boston’s 112-108 overtime victory Saturday against the Bucks.

While Celtics management told the Knicks they aren’t interested in the nine-time All-Star, the Knicks are pushing to move Anthony before the Feb. 23 trade deadline, according to an NBA source, and they’re intrigued by some of the Celtics’ players.

A source indicated that Knicks president Phil Jackson has instructed management to move Anthony, who has a no-trade clause but included the Celtics as one of the teams for whom he’d waive his rights. Boston could become part of a potential three-team deal that would send Anthony to another club, perhaps the Clippers.

Anthony is averaging 22.6 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 3.0 assists this season for the disappointing Knicks (21-27), who are two games out of the eighth playoff spot in the East.

An NBA source said Celtics coach Brad Stevens would embrace coaching Anthony, but president of basketball operations Danny Ainge rejected any deal. That hasn’t stopped the Knicks from scouting Celtics players just in case Boston is willing to become part of a multi-team trade.

The Celtics were approached about the possibility of acquiring Anthony in recent weeks but rebuffed any advanced discussions. That has not precluded the Knicks from trying again, apparently.

Anthony said a few weeks ago he was committed to staying with the Knicks in a brief meeting with Jackson, but has since softened his stance, saying he would be open to a trade if the Knicks wanted to “go in another direction.”

Anthony has two years remaining after this season on the five-year contract extension he signed before the 2015-16 season.

Signing Anthony was one of Jackson’s first moves to attempt to build a winner in New York. But Jackson soon began making comments Anthony wasn’t a good fit for his triangle offense, the signature scheme he ran in Chicago and with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Knicks are leaning towards amassing draft picks and building their club around second-year forward Kristaps Porzingis, one of the league’s rising stars. The Celtics have the type of assets — the first-round picks of the Brooklyn Nets for the next two years — that would interest New York. But many NBA teams are questioning whether the 32-year-old Anthony would flourish in a ball-moving offense because of his isolation style.

The Clippers, who have for years been in need of a capable small forward, could be interested but are reluctant to part with Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan. With that in mind, the Knicks could be seeking a third team with enough assets to facilitate a deal with the Clippers, and the Celtics have as many assets as any NBA team.
Making the sacrifice

Amir Johnson landed squarely on his lower back trying to defend a layup in the first half of Saturday’s overtime win in Milwaukee and it looked to be a significant injury. But Johnson shook off his pain and returned to action.

He was called upon late in the fourth quarter when the Bucks repeatedly tried to exploit the matchup between Milwaukee’s post Greg Monroe and the Celtics’ Kelly Olynyk.

Johnson was not only able to provide resistance, but was able to contain Monroe, who has had big games against the Celtics in the past, in the final minutes and kept him scoreless in overtime.

In the final year of a two-year, $24 million deal, it has been an inconsistent season for Johnson, whose option was picked up when the Celtics were unable to sign Kevin Durant in free agency. He was replaced in the starting lineup by Olynyk until he recently returned because of an injury to Al Horford.

“It’s more satisfying that you sacrifice your body or did what you had to do to win games, that’s something that I’ve been all about,” Johnson said. “Anything I can do to help our team win, dive on the floor, catch an elbow, take charges and it’s satisfying to win.”

Nearing age 30 but having played in the NBA since high school, Johnson said he is feeling strong. He battled ankle issues in the past, but has missed only one game this season because of injury.

Perhaps Johnson’s most significant contribution was something for which he received no credit on the statistic sheet.

With the Bucks trailing by 2 points and 11 seconds left in OT, All-Star forward Giannis Antetokounmpo slid through the lane for a 7-foot fadeaway that was contested by Jae Crowder and Johnson. The jumper fell short and Crowder grabbed the rebound. He drew a foul and sank a pair of decisive free throws.

“I was right there, I almost got a block but I made [Antetokounmpo] adjust his shot,” Johnson said. “It was just a good team effort for us. This game came down to defensive stops and that’s what wins games.

“That’s where most games in the NBA are won and our offense was booming, but those last couple of minutes [in regulation and] overtime, I felt like we did a great job getting stops.

“We’re happy about it. This type of play wins games.”

Back to top Go down

CANNOT KILL THIS 3 HEADED MONSTER > Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics Empty Re: CANNOT KILL THIS 3 HEADED MONSTER > Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics

Post by wideclyde Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:43 pm

First, I am done writing anything about bringing Anthony to Boston. It is not worth even looking at unless the Knicks are sending along first round picks for a bunch of years beginning in 2017.

Second, the part of this story about Johnson is why his teammates love him and also what fans like about him.  However, for us to improve we specifically need to improve his roster spot.

In his almost two years with the Cs he has mostly been a starting player, and has, unfortunately, performed less than what a playoff team needs to get from a starting front court player.  His stats just do not measure up even though he has had a couple of 20 point scoring games.  He has been very much inconsistent as a rookie or very young player.  In fact, kind of like Olynyk as he can score in double digits one night followed by hooking up a 3 or 4 point (sometimes not even getting a point) performance the next night.  His rebounds vary just as much from night to night.

He is not a bust or over paid while in a Cs uniform because I am sure that many of the team's younger players have learned a lot of professionalism, etc from him. Also, his efforts always appear to be top notch. I would easily call him a "pro's pro". 

However, for this year's team to be better (by the end of the season) his minutes need to go to a much better player coming to Boston in a trade before the trading deadline in February.  He, himself, does not have to be traded (although his expiring salary and veteran leadership could make him attractive to some other teams), but his minutes need to be taken by a much better rebounding and scoring type center.  He will have to be part of any trade for a star or a big contract addition-like Anthony to make salaries match in a trade even though I would not trade him even up for Anthony in any way.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

CANNOT KILL THIS 3 HEADED MONSTER > Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics Empty Re: CANNOT KILL THIS 3 HEADED MONSTER > Knicks evidently not giving up hope they can ship Carmelo Anthony to Celtics

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:47 pm

NO NO NO NO NO NO
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Wideclyde,

Funny that you mention us getting draft picks from the Knicks. I expect that Phil is hoping to have draft picks coming his way for Melo.

He is delusional. Sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 pm

The more time that goes by the less that the Knicks will get for Anthony.

Ainge knows that Jackson wants to move him, he knows that he would have to pay Anthony his outrageous salary for two additional years, he knows that he will have to ship out Johnson, Jerebko and Crowder or Bradley to bring in Anthony now, and he also knows that getting Anthony will financially kill his chances to sign or trade for a star next summer. To 'help' the Knicks it should cost the Knicks plenty. I would only think of at least four first round picks over the next five years to do so if I am in Ainge's seat.

And, .........even then........... I still don't want Anthony.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 pm

If the Knicks will take a box of stale donuts for him I'd consider it.... and then say no!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:23 pm

The Knicks need to buy Melo's contract out. That is the only way the Knicks can get rid of Melo now. No person in his right mind is taking on $28 million per for a 33-34 year old with knee problems....are you kidding.

Danny is NOT REPEAT NOT taking on $28 M on our balance sheet. It will prevent him from signing a multitude of players in the future.

If Melo gets bought out....ok let's talk........or go walk if he wants a kings ransom.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 am

112288 wrote:The Knicks need to buy Melo's contract out. That is the only way the Knicks can get rid of Melo now. No person in his right mind is taking on $28 million per for a 33-34 year old with knee problems....are you kidding.

Danny is NOT REPEAT NOT taking on $28 M on our balance sheet. It will prevent him from signing a multitude of players in the future.

If Melo gets bought out....ok let's talk........or go walk if he wants a kings ransom.

I agree, I think all this unquiet talk about wanting to move Melo and his stand on wanting to "stay" are both sides playing chicken.

in the end can Melo enforce his no trade and stay a place that has let it be known they don't want him?

in the end can Jackson (not finding ANY deal) just keep Melo around for another two years?

I say no to both. this is looking more and more like a buy out is coming for both sides benefit. Melo gets out ( with a big portion of his contract) and become a FA . The Knicks get some level of salary cap relief ( though probably not a whole lot).

makes the most sense to me
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:40 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/9ea48b4f-04a9-39e6-a07e-2f3ad0d95dd9/report%3A-knicks%26%2339%3B-carmelo.html

Report: Knicks' Carmelo Anthony would waive no-trade clause for Celtics

But will Boston really try to get him?
    James Herbert
mugshot by James Herbert
@outsidethenba
20h ago • 1 min read

New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony would waive his no-trade clause if the front office made a deal with the Boston Celtics, according to Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe. It does not, however, sound as if a trade is imminent. The Celtics have the second-best record in the Eastern Conference, and the front office isn't necessarily convinced that Anthony would put them on another level.

From the Boston Globe:
While Celtics management told the Knicks they aren't interested in the nine-time All-Star, the Knicks are pushing to move Anthony, according to an NBA source, and they're intrigued by some of the Celtics' players.

A source indicated that Knicks president Phil Jackson has instructed management to move Anthony, who has a no-trade clause but included the Celtics as one of the teams for whom he'd waive the clause. Boston could become part of a potential three-team deal that would send Anthony to another club, perhaps the Clippers.

An NBA source said Celtics coach Brad Stevens would embrace coaching Anthony, but president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has rejected any deal. That hasn't stopped the Knicks from scouting Celtics players just in case Boston is willing to become part of a trade.

Anthony has made it clear that he would prefer to stay with the Knicks, but if management decides it's time to rebuild, then he would be willing to talk with them about waiving his no-trade clause. New York is reportedly determined to send him elsewhere, and is presumably trying to construct a trade that would put him in a position to compete for a championship. Playing with Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford in Boston would surely appeal to him.

If Ainge indeed isn't interested, though, it's not exactly stunning. Anthony remains an excellent scorer, but offense isn't the Celtics' issue. Defense and rebounding are where they need to get better, and it's not clear that Anthony and Thomas would make each other better. Perhaps Boston will get involved in an Anthony trade somehow, but it seems like it would more likely be as a facilitator than the star forward's destination. Unless, of course, the Knicks are willing to let him go for pennies on the dollar. Ainge, who traded for Thomas when he was on one of the most team-friendly contracts in the league, knows a bargain when he sees one.

bob
MY NOTE:  First of all, OF COURSE Jackson likes some of our players.  That's what happens when an inferior team is looking to do business with a superior team, the superior team's players usually look better than the shit you have.

I agree with what Clyde wrote in a previous post.  The situation in NY is broken and everybody knows it.  Everybody knows that Phil Jackson is NOT going to be able to build a contender of any serious note with a soon-to-be 33 year old Carmelo Anthony eating up cap space.  Nobody will give up a young player with a good future for the short-term rental of a ball-hog with an immense contract.  Doc Rivers will take him but not if it means giving up any of his core.  What does that say?  It says that Carmelo is no longer considered worthy of being part of the core of a playoff-bound team, that's what, and isn't that what we are too?  Give Phil Amir, Zeller and Young for Melo and Plumlee.  According to the ESPN Trade Machine that trade works.  The Knicks get 2 bigs and a young (small 'y') player with 3 expiring contracts, we get Melo and his contract and a Plumlee to replace a Zeller.  Even then, I'm not sure I want Melo, but that's the absolute most I would give up for him and even then it sticks in my throat.  I'd consider it, though, because it would get minutes for Mickey and open a spot for Yabusele when the Chinese league's season ends.  Personally I'd rather that Danny just facilitate the trade to LAC and get a handling charge in payment. Oh Hell, I just talked myself out of it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:00 pm

I think Carmelo could be a great fit with the Clippers, but to make the salaries work, the Clippers mostly likely would have to trade both Austin Rivers and JJ Redick. I don't think the Clippers want to do that.

As for Boston, I think Vucevic could be a good match, but who knows the asking price is from Orlando.

Probably the best fit for Boston would be an Amir for Tyson Chandler trade.
This would allow the lottery bound Suns to give more time to Alex Len and Marquese Chriss.
This would give Boston the rebounder and rim protector they need.
Chandler is 4th in the league in rebs per 48 minutes.
Since Boston probably won't get a center in the draft, his $26.5m over the next two years is not that bad for a starting center.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:11 pm

TJ, I like the Amir/Chandler trade too.

Bob, I just can't fathom paying out $28M a year for two years to keep Melo. That would really compromise our salary cap and foreclose any ability to sign a FA this summer.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Look for Danny to be a 3 rd partner in this ridiculous saga and pick up some low hanging fruit in a decent bench player and an upgrade of who we have now. Maybe a draft pick as well.

Look him to move some expiring contracts or non-used players that are taking up roster spots.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:37 pm

112288 wrote:Look for Danny to be a 3 rd  partner in this ridiculous saga and pick up some low hanging fruit in a decent bench player and an upgrade of who we have now.  Maybe a draft pick as well.

Look him to move some expiring contracts or non-used players that are taking up roster spots.

My guess is that's where the smart money is going...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:52 pm

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/31/report-celtics-not-talking-carmelo-anthony-trade-because-knicks-believed-to-be-seeking-huge-return/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

Report: Celtics not talking Carmelo Anthony trade because Knicks believed to be seeking huge return

By Dan Feldman

Jan 31, 2017, 4:30 PM EST

The Celtics reportedly told the Knicks they weren’t interested in trading for Carmelo Anthony.

Why?

I listed a few possible reasons:

An actual desire to keep Anthony off this Boston team.
Playing hardball to gain leverage.
Believing the Knicks’ asking price was too high.
It seems there’s truth to No. 3.

Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald:

According to multiple sources, there have been, as of the weekend, no formal trade talks between the Celts and New York, but that was largely because the Knicks are believed to be asking a Melo’s ransom for the star.

The Knicks have engaged the Clippers about an Anthony that includes neither Chris Paul, Blake Griffin nor DeAndre Jordan. Maybe New York isn’t holding out for an otherworldly return.

If the Celtics want to make a push, it’s not too late. Anthony is reportedly willing to waive his no-trade clause for Boston.

There are still numerous hurdles — Danny Ainge and Phil Jackson agreeing to trade terms and Anthony actually allowing the deal. It’s one thing to be willing generally to OK a trade to another team. It’s another to finalize the approval.

But Anthony’s no-trade clause creates a closed market, limiting New York’s haul. I wouldn’t completely close the door on the Celtics, with their abundance of assets, determining they can afford to acquire Anthony.

bob
MY NOTE: Good, Danny, stick to your guns. We can afford to get him, we just don't want him and certainly not for anywhere near what NYK thinks their aging ballhog is worth.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:58 pm

Bob,

That is how Danny acquired a lot of his draft picks in the past. Smart as he is always securing new talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:19 pm

Bob

That is a rerun article I saw over the weekend.  Look Danny is way to stingy when it comes to salaries...he is a ball buster..........so he is getting a broken down player at 33-34 with knee problems at $28 m per year.  He needs a center and if a superstar came his way he could not do the trade as he would be choking with too little cap room to do the deal.

Not a snowballs chance in South Beach.............although there is a cold wave heading to Florida this weekend..........LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:36 am

Let Phil and the Knicks wallow in their Misery.  they should have traded Melo two years ago and now they think they can get big time assets for him?  Not happening.

I think DA is focused on acquiring a Big and also a proven scorer off the bench.  I do not feel that he is bound to make both things happen this season.  

The Celtics score a lot of points so my thinking is that he would like to get a Big.  If a team out their is looking to clear cap space then Amir is a prime target along with other players that are on short contracts (KO, Jonas, Young, Zeller, Mickey)  Danny could use a combination of players and draft picks.  I think that the Nets pick this year is off the table unless we were going after a player like Cousins or some other top center.

And while the focus has shifted to the Bulls, Magic and Knicks let's not lose site of the the Sixers.  They still need to move a big.  

There are a lot of possibilities but so far Ainge is being very careful and I like that.

The Celtics are in an enviable position.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:43 am

dboss,

I am also one who believes that the Cs already score enough points, and need much more rebounding to become a better team this season.

In fact, I think that their scoring would even increase if they rebounded better. They would get possibly 6 to 8 additional possessions per game by keeping their opponents off their offensive boards better. And, they would get additional possessions on offense with some additional offensive possessions as well. they prove these stats in almost every game that they out rebound their opponents. the trouble is that they do not win the battle of the boards any where near enough, in my opinion.

It should be very interesting to see what Ainge does here in the next 3 weeks. He has admitted that he knew even before the season that his roster was going to have trouble with rebounding.

There is no time like right now to fix this glaring weakness.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down