Bulpett: Celtics plan to go big or sit tight at NBA trade deadline

4 posters

Go down

Bulpett: Celtics plan to go big or sit tight at NBA trade deadline Empty Bulpett: Celtics plan to go big or sit tight at NBA trade deadline

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:05 pm

BOSTON HERALD

Steve Bulpett Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Celtics are perfectly capable of pulling off one or more trades that would make them a more interesting regular season rival for Cleveland. They may even be able to give themselves a puncher’s chance in a postseason series.

But those kind of moves would be essentially a fast-food fix and leave them undernourished for the long term stay at the top they seek. And Danny Ainge seems profoundly unwilling to risk the latter for the former.

Multiple league sources continue to tell the Herald that, while the Celts are actively seeking a top-tier player by Thursday’s trade deadline (Jimmy Butler, Paul George, etc.), they would also be satisfied using the first round picks from the Nets this year and next in a longer term, but potentially more lasting, build.

And there has been continued word from around the league that Ainge doesn’t want to give up his chance in the high level free agent market unless he can secure a franchise cornerstone player now or around the June draft.

In addition, as we’ll get to later here, they may already have a solution to one of their problems, which is influencing how the club acts now.

“I think a lot of teams have gone after Danny hoping to throw good veterans at him and hope that he’ll give up some of those big assets, but from everything I’ve seen and heard, he’s not doing that unless he gets a real star back,” said one league exec. “If Chicago or Indiana opens up for business, then I wouldn’t be surprised if Boston gets involved big. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if they sit tight or make a small move and wait for the draft if no one they really want is available.”

The word around the league Tuesday is that the Bulls and Pacers are not going to part with Jimmy Butler or Paul George, respectively. That could obviously change at some point before the deadline, and, if so, the Celtics would jump into the bidding. But those possibilities have not been looking good of late.

The same is the case with Detroit and center Andre Drummond. Most general managers believe the Pistons expressed a willingness to discuss him simply to gauge the marketplace. And his price tag would have been extremely high.

Drummond is second in the NBA in rebounding at 13.8, which would make him very attractive to the carom-deficient Celtics (28th on the boards). But as Ainge tries to piece together a roster for now and the future -- and do so while managing each player’s fit within the salary cap -- it’s important to remember what’s already under his control.

In other words, does it make sense to spend a lot now and tie up cap space for the future on an inside player when he may have such a big waiting in the wings?

There is every expectation that Ante Zizic, the No. 23 overall pick last June, will be a part of next season’s Celts. That he’ll be on a rookie scale contract is a bonus.

There was question whether the 6-foot-11 20-year-old would be able to handle the move from Croatia to tougher competition in Turkey, but the reports have been more than encouraging.

We checked in with former Celtic Gigi Datome, who is playing for another Turkish club, and, while there is obviously still work to do for such a young player, he believes Zizic is ready to contribute in the NBA.

“He is a big body who moves well for his size,” Gigi told the Herald. “Not very quick lateral movements, but he runs well the floor and he’s pretty quick on post moves. He has feeling for the game.”

Datome noted that Zizic’s new club, Darussafaka, is a solid Euroleague club coached by former Cavaliers leader David Blatt, and that Zizic “didn’t take too long to impact the team and to get into a new system. He plays hard and shows desire to compete. He has good feeling and position for offensive rebounds.

“I like him,” Gigi added. “He is very young, and usually big men develop later. He plays like an experienced player despite his young age. He is also reliable on free throw line.”

Back to top Go down

Bulpett: Celtics plan to go big or sit tight at NBA trade deadline Empty Re: Bulpett: Celtics plan to go big or sit tight at NBA trade deadline

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:26 am

I agree.  Go large or stay home.  Nibbling around the edges would be the most I want unless we are talking Butler or George.  I like Drummond but his Frito shooting makes him a NON-crunch time player and it is tough to spend big on a NON-crunch time player.

I've watched just about every Zizic and Yabusele highlight film this year.  Both could contribute next year with a caveat with Yabusele due to inferior Chinese league competition.

Unless we are talking about a player that will "move the needle" I am OK with nothing more than peripheral trades now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Bulpett: Celtics plan to go big or sit tight at NBA trade deadline Empty Re: Bulpett: Celtics plan to go big or sit tight at NBA trade deadline

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am

I think with Yabusele you get what you see. His skill set is quite evident, more complete for an offensive minded team like these Celtics, than Zizic. Every highlight clip is virtually the same and I'm willing to give him his first year learning curve. Both will need to be integral parts of the whole for successful season and that's a tough expectation for two rookies. I'm very excited about next year and I'm hoping Danny makes a move to get me more excited this year. I'm still hoping for a Nerlens Noel trade. But I'm happy with standing Pats until the ping pong balls drop.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Noel can be gotten without yielding a Nets pick.  A non Nets first that is not protected, Rozier, and a filler like Green or Young should get it done.   Add in a second round pick if needed.

I really like Rozier, but if he leaves the crowded guard situation is thinned out (which is going to have to be done by next fall when the Nets pick is added to the roster), the Cs do not have to give up one of their big men since the 76ers need guards and Noel's current contract will not require the Cs to have to give up one of their current core players to match salary.  If the 76ers demand Bradley the Cs should get a draft pick back or a young player back from them.

Philly HAS to know that they are going to lose Noel at the end of the season for nothing if they do not move him now.  He is NOT going to sign back with them to be a second team guy again next season behind Embiid.

Noel's offense is not yet (and perhaps may never be) all star quality, but he can still score by running the floor and getting put backs.  Plus, with Stevens and his staff, I will bet the ranch that this guy will be much better on offense by next season.  Cripes, he is almost 7 feet tall and he doesn't even show a basic hook shot yet (for some unknown reason), and that shot alone will get him 6-8 more points per game.  I can teach this guy a hook shot with either hand in two weeks, and I certainly believe that McCarty can do it much faster.

The Cs gamble that they can re-sign him, but they get the best defending and rebounding guy on the market who is very young and is not done getting better.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down