Post Game Thread - vs Chicago Bulls, Home

4 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Chicago Bulls, Home Empty Post Game Thread - vs Chicago Bulls, Home

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:20 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/boston-celtics-stifling-defense-paves-way-easy-100-80-win-over-chicago-bulls

CELTICS' STIFLING DEFENSE PAVES WAY FOR EASY 100-80 WIN OVER BULLS
By A. Sherrod Blakely March 12, 2017 5:37 PM
Leave a comment

THE LATEST NFL RUMORS

Follow along with the latest Patriots and NFL rumors all in one convenient place on "The Pulse"

BOSTON – Brad Stevens has said on more than one occasion that the team’s defense is better than what we’ve seen for most of this season.

For a change, his players went out and proved it with what was one of their most stifling displays defensively this season which paved the way for a relatively easy 100-80 win in which Boston led from the early moment following the opening tip until the final horn sounded.

Isaiah Thomas led all scorers with 22 points with Avery Bradley chipping in 17. Robin Lopez and Denzel Valentine each had a team-high 13 points for the Bulls (31-35) who have now lost five straight.

Boston (42-25) played the Bulls for the last time during the regular season, with Sunday’s win evening their head-to-head series at two games apiece.

That’s important if these two finish with an identical record, an unlikely occurrence considering how the Celtics are surging towards the top of the East while the Bulls have now lost five straight with few signs that things will improve anytime soon.

Boston set the tone from the outset with its defense that forced Chicago to miss its first 12 shots and 18 of 19.

As the game wore on, Boston’s defense continued to wear down the Bulls at every instance.

Shots around the rim were contested or deflected.

Perimeter opportunities were being defended just as tightly by Boston.

It was arguably the best defensive showing by the entire team this season.

And for them to have the kind of progress going forward during the regular season and into the playoffs, they will need to play with a similar defense-first mentality.

Despite players consistently saying that is how they want to approach games, how they’ve played and how they say they want to play have not always been the same.

But on Sunday, there was no denying Boston’s intent on being an elite team defensively was on display.

However, it wasn’t like the Celtics were shutting down the Golden State Warriors or the Houston Rockets, either.

Chicago has had its problems offensively this season, so Boston’s strong showing has to be put in proper perspective.

We’re accustomed to seeing Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder put their imprint defensively on games.

But Sunday was as close to an all-team effort defensively as we’ve seen all season.

And it manifested itself not just in the way they defended individually, but how they consistently covered for one another on rotations, switches and tilts defensively that didn’t allow the Bulls to ever feel comfortable.

Because of that, even when the Celtics hit a few offensive lulls it never got to a point where their control of the game was ever in doubt.

Even the Bulls best players played poorly. Jimmy Butler had five points on 2-for-11 shooting while Dwyane Wade finished with eight points but was a -37 when he was on the floor.

Lots of players stepped up and contributed to the Celtics win.

But this was as close to a team victory as they’ve had in a while, a team win that was fueled by their defense.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Chicago Bulls, Home Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Chicago Bulls, Home

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Changed time zones and screwed up game time, so I missed the first half.

It all seemed to be clicking for us. Even in the 2nd half, where there was a little drama with them cutting it to 17, we still ended up tied with them with 54 points.

The best part, of course, is Jimmy Butler and DWade combining for only 13 points on 6-22 shooting.

Jae with 10 boards but only 5 points on 2-9. He says his ankle is almost back where it should be but his shooting isn't showing it. His ankles, if you have noticed, seem to be recurring theme year-to-year. They might be a danger signal for Danny. Still, Jae Crowder is tough.

The Beast of the Boards, Kelly Olynyk, with 9 rebounds and 11 points on 5-10. Love his 3 offensive rebounds, but then I love offensive rebounds in general. A decent bounce-back game for him. EVERYBODY sucked in Denver.

In fact, we had 6 players in double-digits. That's very balanced scoring for only totaling 100 points.

Jaylen Brown is comin' round. Every game a little more confidence a little bit smoother. Good progress by the rook. NOT getting the minutes early in the season might have been the best thing for him because he got to watch the game rather than being thrown out there and getting pounded into paste night-after-night by veterans like Brandon Ingram has been.

When our 5 are healthy we are very dangerous. Our problem is that, between Bradley's achilles, Jae's ankles and Al's concussion and elbow we often aren't. The healthiest guy on the team is the smallest one.

The remaining schedule is in our favor compared to what Cleveland and Washington have. Unfortunately, thanks to our brain fart in Phoenix to name one, we still need them to lose. If they win despite their schedule that will hurt because we will be in 3rd AND because Washington and Cleveland will be on a roll heading into the playoffs.

Still, can't help but love a 20 point blowout getting dropped on DWade's head. Hard to go wrong there.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900380

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Chicago Bulls, Home Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Chicago Bulls, Home

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/boston-celtics-stifling-defense-paves-way-easy-100-80-win-over-chicago-bulls

CELTICS' STIFLING DEFENSE PAVES WAY FOR EASY 100-80 WIN OVER BULLS
By A. Sherrod Blakely March 12, 2017 5:37 PM
Leave a comment

THE LATEST NFL RUMORS

Follow along with the latest Patriots and NFL rumors all in one convenient place on "The Pulse"

BOSTON – Brad Stevens has said on more than one occasion that the team’s defense is better than what we’ve seen for most of this season.

For a change, his players went out and proved it with what was one of their most stifling displays defensively this season which paved the way for a relatively easy 100-80 win in which Boston led from the early moment following the opening tip until the final horn sounded.

Isaiah Thomas led all scorers with 22 points with Avery Bradley chipping in 17. Robin Lopez and Denzel Valentine each had a team-high 13 points for the Bulls (31-35) who have now lost five straight.

Boston (42-25) played the Bulls for the last time during the regular season, with Sunday’s win evening their head-to-head series at two games apiece.

That’s important if these two finish with an identical record, an unlikely occurrence considering how the Celtics are surging towards the top of the East while the Bulls have now lost five straight with few signs that things will improve anytime soon.

Boston set the tone from the outset with its defense that forced Chicago to miss its first 12 shots and 18 of 19.

As the game wore on, Boston’s defense continued to wear down the Bulls at every instance.

Shots around the rim were contested or deflected.

Perimeter opportunities were being defended just as tightly by Boston.

It was arguably the best defensive showing by the entire team this season.

And for them to have the kind of progress going forward during the regular season and into the playoffs, they will need to play with a similar defense-first mentality.

Despite players consistently saying that is how they want to approach games, how they’ve played and how they say they want to play have not always been the same.

But on Sunday, there was no denying Boston’s intent on being an elite team defensively was on display.

However, it wasn’t like the Celtics were shutting down the Golden State Warriors or the Houston Rockets, either.

Chicago has had its problems offensively this season, so Boston’s strong showing has to be put in proper perspective.

We’re accustomed to seeing Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder put their imprint defensively on games.

But Sunday was as close to an all-team effort defensively as we’ve seen all season.

And it manifested itself not just in the way they defended individually, but how they consistently covered for one another on rotations, switches and tilts defensively that didn’t allow the Bulls to ever feel comfortable.

Because of that, even when the Celtics hit a few offensive lulls it never got to a point where their control of the game was ever in doubt.

Even the Bulls best players played poorly. Jimmy Butler had five points on 2-for-11 shooting while Dwyane Wade finished with eight points but was a -37 when he was on the floor.

Lots of players stepped up and contributed to the Celtics win.

But this was as close to a team victory as they’ve had in a while, a team win that was fueled by their defense.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

pardon me for stating the obvious, but our guards dominated theirs. Jaylen Brown , despite rookie mistakes , is becoming a force. KO put a couple good games in a row together. Hallelujah.The only guy I felt played bad was Amir, who seldom gets outside himself but did today. Then again , we were way ahead from the get-go , so he can be forgiven for getting a little frisky. Too bad we aren`t yet a championship team , because I think he coud fill the P.J.Brown role ( minus the jump shot.) Then again , I may be getting just a little ahead of myself. Might be wearing my green glasses, but I`m not entirely convinced that, given our roster, I would trade AB straight up, for Jimmy Butler , and I`m sure not throwing in Crowder or a Nets pick.Yeah, I know , he has had injuries.  Occupational hazard.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm

sorry wasn't on the Game On, was at Hooters with my son Johnny.

We had an interesting discussion about all the best backcourts in the NBA, I was saying Wall and Beal might be better than Steph and Klay. My son said you have to mention 3 guards with us and that were definitely the best defensively. Smart and AB were wreaking havoc all over the place, AB had his stroke going pretty good and love seeing Marcus receiving the ball close to the basket where he just overpowers anyone. Did I mention they both can defend alittle?

How bad did Jimmy Butler look today? Jaylen getting better every game, crowd at Hooters erupted when Brown did his behind the back scoop lefty finger roll, never saw that move before. Then ofcourse I had to shout and we got 2 lottery picks coming up !!! I crack myself up and my son. Brown is getting his 3 point stroke down and will be an on going human highlight film and can defend....like we need Jimmy Butler?

On another note just watched Cavs lose to Rockets in a great game. James Harden was unbelievable initiating the offense in a way never seen from a 6'7" wing now playing the point. Cavs better enjoy their run now, cause in 2 years Lebron will be 35 come playoffs and Jaylen will only be 22, and in 4 years, then 5 years, he'll only be 25....we have to figure out a way to keep AB and IT. Sit them down and say.....you'll never be in this kind of great winning situation again with a team with better culture, history and chemistry, help me help you be part of a legacy....IT is an unbelievable shot maker, did I mention how well AB and Smart get after you?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 am

Wade and Butler aren`t Steph and Klay, but the smothering defense was similar
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Bob,

Your mention of Kelly Olynyk's game yesterday again got my blood rolling.

It is great when this guy plays like yesterday and also in many other games this season. He has very
much improved since first arriving in Boston in all phases of the game. He must be coachable and he
also must be a hard worker to have improved so much. Of course, all of this is great.

HOWEVER, this guy absolutely still kills me with his terrible inconsistency. All too often he follows a nice 10 point and 9 rebound game or a 17 point and 8 rebound game with a 3 point and 2 rebound game. If he is injured, I can better understand, but I have not heard of any injuries this year that should effect his game from night to night as much as his game can vary from night to night.

A consistent run of good games to end the season (and, into the playoffs) will greatly help the Celtics as well as Olynyk to get a nicer contract this summer.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 pm

I think consistency is a talent too. A pitcher who can repeat his delivery is a rare thing.The ones who can are, all other things being equal, generally successful.Shooting a basketball requires the same kind of mechanical consistency , but there are many other things that occur on a basketball court that require spontaneous reaction. The fact that a guy isn`t super consitent doesn`t mean he`s not trying. It just means he is only succeeding some of the time.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down