Every season, including this one, needs to be a "RIGHT NOW" season for out Cs

2 posters

Go down

Every season, including this one, needs to be a "RIGHT NOW" season for out Cs Empty Every season, including this one, needs to be a "RIGHT NOW" season for out Cs

Post by wideclyde Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:55 am

As an amateur GM (like most fans) I have come to believe that at this point looking at next year needs to wait a while. We are in first place.

From where the Cs currently stand (after the first few years of our latest re-build), I think that every year needs to take on the approach that "this is the year for #18". First place is first place! Let's attack the playoffs right now. Certainly, there will be changes for next year's team no matter what the playoffs bring this year, but right now is also right now.

And, right now is only right now because of the faster than expected re-build journey that has happened since Coach Stevens was signed. I was very willing to even take two more years to challenge for #18, but again, first place now is still first place.

It seemed to me that Red Auerbach always seemed to find veterans who were not necessarily "stars" to fill in the many vital roles on our teams in the late 50s, 60s, 70s and early 80s that other teams seemed to want to get rid of, and in most cases, these guys (Clyde Lovellette, Dennis Johnson, Don Nelson, Paul Silas, etc, etc) contributed significantly as "non stars". Some of these guys stayed longer than others, but most were very inexpensive to acquire, admirably filled necessary roles and made above average contributions to championship teams. As this regular season is ending, perhaps something should have been done at the trading deadline.

For next season, I agree that we will still need more rebounding and more shooting, but question whether such additions truly need to be max salary guys to get these needs filled. Two of the right mid range players might actually be better than the one max level guy.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Every season, including this one, needs to be a "RIGHT NOW" season for out Cs Empty Re: Every season, including this one, needs to be a "RIGHT NOW" season for out Cs

Post by swish Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:25 pm

wideclyde wrote:As an amateur GM (like most fans) I have come to believe that at this point looking at next year needs to wait a while.  We are in first place.

From where the Cs currently stand (after the first few years of our latest re-build), I think that every year needs to take on the approach that "this is the year for #18".  First place is first place!  Let's attack the playoffs right now.  Certainly, there will be changes for next year's team no matter what the playoffs bring this year, but right now is also right now.

And, right now is only right now because of the faster than expected re-build journey that has happened since Coach Stevens was signed.  I was very willing to even take two more years to challenge for #18, but again, first place now is still first place.

It seemed to me that Red Auerbach always seemed to find veterans who were not necessarily "stars" to fill in the many vital roles on our teams in the late 50s, 60s, 70s and early 80s that other teams seemed to want to get rid of, and in most cases, these guys (Clyde Lovellette, Dennis Johnson, Don Nelson, Paul Silas, etc, etc) contributed significantly as "non stars".  Some of these guys stayed longer than others, but most were very inexpensive to acquire, admirably filled necessary roles and made above average contributions to championship teams.  As this regular season is ending, perhaps something should have been done at the trading deadline.

For next season, I agree that we will still need more rebounding and more shooting, but question whether such additions truly need to be max salary guys to get these needs filled.  Two of the right mid range players might actually be better than the one max level guy.

I agree that the Celts should be in a " go for it now mode" but I don't expect them to be a serious contender until next year - and only then if they are able to land an elite all nba player to the club over the off season. By my standards, they do not currently have an elite all nba player on the roster and since over the last 36 years the champ has had at least one elite all nba player on its roster - I consider it imperative that they land one real soon. Even high draft picks are a major gamble, even when they live up to expectations - as even number one draft picks average out to age 25, (based on my standards), before they are able to gain all nba elite status. The future is now - why gamble on the future hopes of high draft picks?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Every season, including this one, needs to be a "RIGHT NOW" season for out Cs Empty Re: Every season, including this one, needs to be a "RIGHT NOW" season for out Cs

Post by swish Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:48 pm

While Red did a great job of adding pieces to those championship teams - its certainly noteworthy that every single one of those "ring" teams had at least one elite all nba players on the roster. Super stars win championships.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down