gyso
red16russ11
dboss
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Kelly Olynyk Conundrum - Page 2 Empty Re: The Kelly Olynyk Conundrum

Post by fierce Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:12 am

Sometimes bigs take more time to develop.

It's a different story if this season is Olynyk's 7th season.

The potential is there.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 am

fierce wrote:Sometimes bigs take more time to develop.

It's a different story if this season is Olynyk's 7th season.

The potential is there.

Agree he is a bench player yet many seem to think he should get be able to get starter stats.  Are there that many 7 footers off any ones bench that are remarkably better?

Seems to me he played a lot better as the season wore on and had some pretty good playoff games too.

if the price is reasonable ( i have no clue what that might be) keep him.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 pm

OK...I say we keep him for $12M or less a year BUT:

he has to cut that damn hair!!

come on Hippie.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 pm

kdp59 wrote:OK...I say we keep him for $12M or less a year BUT:

come on Hippie.

YES on both. Why would we pay someone more than Amir to come off the bench? If he gets 15 - 20, he needs to start. Hope his agent is a reasonable person.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 pm

come on Hippie.

He can keep the long hair, but that weak growth on his chin has to go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:22 pm

gyso wrote:

come on Hippie.

He can keep the long hair, but that weak growth on his chin has to go!

No way, he is like Sampson - his hair (both head and chin hair) are the source of his power. Without them he is nothing but Macaulay Caulkin on roids. Also, his look makes players from other teams hate him, which gets into their head and affects their performances. I say keep the hippie look.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:23 pm

wideclyde wrote:DBOSS,

It may sound like a good idea to play Olynyk 28-30 minutes on his 'good' nights, but a terrible idea to try to play him even 8 or 10 minutes on his 'bad' nights.

Wide

I was not being serious.  If KO was able to play at a high level for 25-28 mpg it would give some measure of justification for even thinking about a $12- $15 mill per year salary.

Kelly is a player at 7 feet with no post game except when a guard is checking him.  All the talk about his stretch the floor abilities are exaggerated.

He pretty much choked in the playoffs.  He had the one eye popping game which was a great game for him but not an NBA level great game.

He plays scared and once he makes a bad play or 2 he completely disappears.  

Dboss

Last edited by dboss on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm

dboss wrote:
wideclyde wrote:DBOSS,

It may sound like a good idea to play Olynyk 28-30 minutes on his 'good' nights, but a terrible idea to try to play him even 8 or 10 minutes on his 'bad' nights.

Wide

I was not being serious.  If KO was able to play at a high level for 25-28 mpg it would give some measure of justification for even thinking about a $12- $15 mill per year salary.

Kelly is a player at 7 feet with no post game except when a guard is checking him.  All the talk about his stretch the floor abilities are exaggerated.

He pretty much choked in the playoffs.  He had the one eye popping game which was a great game for him but not an NBA level great game.

He plays scared and once he makes a bad play or 2 he completely disappears.  

Dboss

For the season KO took 2.6 three point shots per game and hit 0.9 of them. In other words he did not even average one 3 point shot per game. That is not a stretch.

I would bet that the rookie Yabu can give us everything that KO gives us even though he is a rookie.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:26 pm

There isn't one person on here who would not love to have the Kelly Olynyk from the 7th game of the Wizard series. There was no hesitation in his shot, he passed the ball like a point guard, played defense the way we all have wanted him to all year, was "into" it from beginning to end. His emotions were out there for all of us to see. He was great.
Then.......he kind of disappeared, took terrible shots, and showed up sporadically. I wanted to yank him off the floor myself, put up against quality players who needed a body leaning on them (Love, Thompson???)

This kind of inconsistency drives me nuts. You never know who is going to show up. I have to say that I think Kelly is one of Steven's favorites, but there are times when he sits him for quarters because of this inconsistency, So, how much money is a guy like that worth? There is a team out there that will offer him some crazy money, he is a big who spreads the floor well and makes it easier for Thomas and Bradley to score.
He even plays decent with Horford at times.

We can say whatever we want, but in the end, Danny will either shock us with a trade or wait it out. I don't think he will be the one offering crazy money.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:23 pm

The Celts are going to bring on both of their 1st round picks from last year.

If Amir, Zeller, Jonas and KO are gone they would still need at least two more bigs.  That is the nature of the conundrum.  I forgot about Mickey who would be a low cost option who has yet to be given any meaningful opportunity to play.  Even if they kept Mickey they would still need another big.  They do not have a replacement for KO despite the fact that I do not think he is that good.

We could go the free agent or trade route and/or garner more luck in the 2nd round.

I do not know how many fans have looked closely at the 2nd round but there are several very talented PF / C that may be available at #37.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:23 pm

dboss wrote:The Celts are going to bring on both of their 1st round picks from last year.

If Amir, Zeller, Jonas and KO are gone they would still need at least two more bigs.  That is the nature of the conundrum.  I forgot about Mickey who would be a low cost option who has yet to be given any meaningful opportunity to play.  Even if they kept Mickey they would still need another big.  They do not have a replacement for KO despite the fact that I do not think he is that good.

We could go the free agent or trade route and/or garner more luck in the 2nd round.

I do not know how many fans have looked closely at the 2nd round but there are several very talented PF / C that may be available at #37.  

dboss

Not sure Yabba will be ready, but Zizic will be.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:54 pm

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/08/boston-celtics-kelly-olynyk-nba-adam-kaufman/

Kelly Olynyk Knows His Celtics Career May Be Over

June 8, 2017 11:34 AM

By Adam Kaufman

BOSTON (CBS) — Celtics big man Kelly Olynyk recently wrapped up his fourth season in Boston. This summer, he’ll be a restricted free agent and is in line for a big payday.

“That’s definitely not something you think about growing up,” Olynyk told WBZ NewsRadio morning sports anchor Adam Kaufman from the team’s end of the year carnival for Boston-area students at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center on Thursday. “Now that it’s kind of here, you’re kind of curious. But, it’s not why you do it. It’s not why you play.”

After an enjoyable 18-game run in the postseason that featured a legendary Game 7 performance against the Wizards in the Eastern Conference Semis, Olynyk knows it’s possible that he’s played his final game for the Celts.

“That definitely hit me that last game,” he admitted, after averaging nine points and 4.8 rebounds in 75 games primarily as a reserve. “Hopefully that’s not the case. I love this city, this team, this organization. I’ve really grown up here and they’ve given me a lot. I want to keep giving back to them.”

With Boston’s season over, Olynyk said he’s watched a bit of the NBA finals between Golden State and Cleveland when he’s had the chance. The seven-footer acknowledged it would have been quite an experience had Kevin Durant chosen to wear Green this past season.

“That would’ve been nice,” he laughed, thinking back to last summer’s recruitment pitch in the Hamptons. “It’d be nice for any team to acquire a player like that, of his caliber, especially with the way he’s playing now. He’s been phenomenal in the finals.”

Olynyk also spoke with Kaufman about the league’s parity problem, Boston’s success during its 53-win season, why he plays better while rocking the hair-bun, projected first overall draft pick Markelle Fultz, and perhaps attending more recruitment meetings next month

http://www1.play.it/audio/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2