swish
KyleCleric
dboss
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Don't Forget The 2nd Round Empty Don't Forget The 2nd Round

Post by dboss Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 pm

The second round of the 2017 NBA draft provides the Celtics with a great opportunity to add one or more PF's or Centers to the mix.  I identified several players that are projected to be drafted at #37 or later based on the Draft Express mock draft.  With that in mind some of these players may not be there.

The rankings..here are their order.

At # 37 Thomas Bryant, a 6' 10" center (Sophomore) with an impressive 7' 6" wingspan.  He played at Indiana.

Averaged 12.6 PPG, 6.6 Rebounds,  1.5 assists and 0.8 blocks.  He is long but does not have great hop.  he runs the floor very well and has a quick first step.  He tends to be a bit clumsy and out of control at times which has led to turnovers.  He can shoot from the perimeter 38.3% from 3 and is respectable at the line at 73%.  He is physical and likes to post up with his back to the basket.  He can score with either hand.  For a guy his size you would expect better rebounding numbers and better rim protection.  I would not draft him because he does not address our needs other than the need for size.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thomas-Bryant-7231/videos/

At # 38 Johnathan Motley, a 6' 10" PF/C (Junior) Baylor.  Has a 7' 4" wingspan.
Averaged 17.2 PPG and 9.9 rebounds 2.2 assists and 1.1 blocks. He does not shoot the ball well from behind the arc.  He primarily scores inside off of post moves and put backs.  He has the athletic skills to be a good defender but seems to lack the will.  On offense he does not pass to the open man consistently.  His mid-range game is a work in progress.  In sum he can rebound and score inside but that is about it at this point.  I would not draft him because he is a poor outside shooter.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Johnathan-Motley-72553/videos/

At # 41 Caleb  Swanigan, 6' 9"  PF/C (Sophomore) Purdue.  He has a 7' 3" wingspan.

Averaged a double double with 18.5 PPG and 12.5 rebounds and 3 assists.  Physical big that can score at the rim using either hand or step outside and knock down jumpers.  He also is a good 3 point shooter  but he only takes 2.4 per game.  His percentage from behind the arc is 44.7%.  He is also an excellent free throw shooter at 78% on 6 attempts per game.   One negative is that he is turnover prone.  He looked pretty chunky back in 2013 but he has really worked on his body.  I would definitely consider him because he checks several boxes

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/caleb-swanigan

Now see how he looks.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Caleb-Swanigan-71578/videos/

#53 Cameron Oliver 6' 8"  PF (Sophomore) Nevada 7' 1 1/4" wingspan

Averaged 16 PPG and 8.7 rebounds.  A real live power dunker.  An excellent 3 pt shooter at 38.4% attempts on 5 attempts per game.  Physical NBA ready body and quick on defense.  Check out the weaknesses and strength video.    He is my steal in the 2nd round and I would definitely draft him because he can stretch rebounds and hs the physical abilities to be a good defender.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cameron-Oliver-82860/videos/

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Don't Forget The 2nd Round Empty Re: Don't Forget The 2nd Round

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Why not Bryant? Runs the floor, outstanding length, physical, decent range and 3pt shot. Sounds like someone who could at least compete for a back up spot in the rotation. Also, even though he's a sophomore having started 69 college games in the Big Ten, he's not even 20 yet.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:14 pm

You can always count on the 2nd round.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/draft.html

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 pm

KyleCleric wrote:Why not Bryant? Runs the floor, outstanding length, physical, decent range and 3pt shot. Sounds like someone who could at least compete for a back up spot in the rotation. Also, even though he's a sophomore having started 69 college games in the Big Ten, he's not even 20 yet.

Exactly.

Thomas Bryant is my #1 choice for pick 37.  He could be the answer for Boston at center.  Unfortunately, I think he's going before our turn. Possibly late 1st, or within the very first few, early 2nd.

He's also a hometown guy, so now for the gratuitous picture of Bryant and my son around 6 years ago...

Don't Forget The 2nd Round Tbryan12
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 am

How many second round picks do we have? Maybe we could trade away a couple of them and move up the board to get Bryant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:04 am

gyso wrote:How many second round picks do we have?  Maybe we could trade away a couple of them and move up the board to get Bryant.
 We have 3, the timberpups, the clippers and the soon to be dethroned Cleveland Cadavers.

Instead of using to trade up I'd thought of playing them forward, a pick plus Mikey for a future first, another 2ND and demitrus for another, zeller and the last for another first  all later down the road. 

We got us a lot of options, Danny will likely do a bit of everything with 4 draft choices.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 am

Thomas could replace and be a bigger Mickey.

as will any likely choice in the second round, yes I know once a year you get a guy like Brogden in the second. They are almost always older college players, who dropped in the draft due to the NBA's desire to draft teenagers early now.

in that vein I give you a couple Jr/Sr's who may be their with our early second round pick

Jordan Bell- Oregon ( one of my favorites)
Wesley Iwundu- Kansas St
DJ Wilson- Michigan

All of the above could go in the late first also.

Jaron Blossomgame- CLemson
Sindarius Thornwell- S. Carolina
Josh Hart- Villanova ( one of my favorites)
Jonathan Motley- Baylor
Frank Mason- Kansas

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

kdp59 wrote:Thomas could replace and be a bigger Mickey.

as will any likely choice in the second round, yes I know once a year you get a guy like Brogden in the second. They are almost always older college players, who dropped in the draft due to the NBA's desire to draft teenagers early now.

in that vein I give you a couple Jr/Sr's who may be their with our early second round pick

Jordan Bell- Oregon ( one of my favorites)
Wesley Iwundu- Kansas St
DJ Wilson- Michigan

All of the above could go in the late first also.

Jaron Blossomgame- CLemson
Sindarius Thornwell- S. Carolina
Josh Hart- Villanova ( one of my favorites)
Jonathan Motley- Baylor
Frank Mason- Kansas

I like Bell also.
Also why not take a flyer on the French kid, Jeanne?
Also like Ojeleye.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:25 pm

It's hard to anticipate where Jeanne will go in the draft. He could drop into the beginning of the 2nd round or even be a late lottery selection. Definitely an interesting project given his height and length and shooting ability.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:36 pm

I doubt that any of the Cs three second round picks will earn a roster spot for next season.

All three will be either traded or stashed somewhere else as there is just no room on the roster for any more young guys figuring that there are already some young guys who have yet to prove themselves, Zizic, Yabusele, Nader and whomever is the first round pick are all going to be rookies.

Four more rookies each year never lets out team gain a deeper level of maturity.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 pm

wideclyde wrote:I doubt that any of the Cs three second round picks will earn a roster spot for next season.

All three will be either traded or stashed somewhere else as there is just no room on the roster for any more young guys figuring that there are already some young guys who have yet to prove themselves, Zizic, Yabusele, Nader and whomever is the first round pick are all going to be rookies.

Four more rookies each year never lets out team gain a deeper level of maturity.

I would like to package the second round picks with Bradley, and try to get another first rounder, from, say, DET or SAC.

As for Yabba, Zizic and Nader, I think we all need to chill a little. Let's see them in Summer League first. Nader may be like a 4A player in baseball....just not quite good enough. And Yabba may not be ready until next year. Zizic I'm very pumped about.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:24 pm

red16russ11 wrote:
wideclyde wrote:I doubt that any of the Cs three second round picks will earn a roster spot for next season.

I would like to package the second round picks with Bradley, and try to get another first rounder, from, say, DET or SAC.

As for Yabba, Zizic and Nader, I think we all need to chill a little.  Let's see them in Summer League first.  Nader may be like a 4A player in baseball....just not quite good enough. And Yabba may not be ready until next year.  Zizic I'm very pumped about.

So you want to trade our best two way player (AB) plus second rounders for a first rounder?

If we did that who plays shooting guard and who checks those high profile point guards?  Who should we draft?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:21 pm

red16russ11 wrote:
As for Yabba, Zizic and Nader, I think we all need to chill a little.

Amen to that one.

Or better still, chill a lot. Given the quality of this year's draft, I would not be at all surprised to see pick #37 wear a Celtic uniform before any of those three.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:32 pm

I could see #37 as a keeper. That would add 4 rookies to the team.

How quickly they adapt and contribute is anyone's guess. I think we can assume that Fultz will contribute immediately.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:34 pm

swish wrote:You can always count on the 2nd round.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/draft.html

swish
Ouch. Point taken Swish. You don`t seem to be a fan of draft picks in general.Is there any veteran out there though , that we can trade the pick for that will give us a real shot at beating the Lebrons , much less the GSW?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:42 am

a look at historical #37 picks in the draft.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-pick-stats/37/

you CAN find a useful player with that pick for sure. Just don;t expect a starter or anything.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am

dboss wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:

As for Yabba, Zizic and Nader, I think we all need to chill a little.  Let's see them in Summer League first.  Nader may be like a 4A player in baseball....just not quite good enough. And Yabba may not be ready until next year.  Zizic I'm very pumped about.

So you want to trade our best two way player (AB) plus second rounders for a first rounder?

If we did that who plays shooting guard and who checks those high profile point guards?  Who should we draft?

Dboss

Fultz plays shooting guard. I think we have to trade Bradley. When his contract is up, he's going to ask for the moon..........he already feels slighted about his last contract. He won't take a hometown discount, he fired his agent.
Bradley needs to go............
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 am

I hope we seriously look at Bryant with pick #37

Anyone hear of any other workouts slated?
Not like Danny to not have hundreds of kids in.....ha ha
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 am

I would prefer Swanigan because of his production on the glass. But I also like Cam Oliver because of his ability to shoot the 3 ball as well as his physical profile and rebounding. Perhaps he could bang with Lebron.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 am

red16russ11 wrote:
dboss wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:

Dboss

Fultz plays shooting guard.  I think we have to trade Bradley.  When his contract is up, he's going to ask for the moon..........he already feels slighted about his last contract.  He won't take a hometown discount,  he fired his agent.

It sounds like you talk to Bradley about this. lol

The second part of my question was "who plays shooting guard and who checks those high profile point guards?  Who should we draft?" I would imagine that if Boston traded AB it would not be for another draft pick.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 am

dboss wrote:I would prefer Swanigan because of his production on the glass. But I also like Cam Oliver because of his ability to shoot the 3 ball as well as his physical profile and rebounding. Perhaps he could bang with Lebron.

dboss

I think Swanigan will be gone by then
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:02 pm

dboss wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:
dboss wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:

Dboss

Fultz plays shooting guard.  I think we have to trade Bradley.  When his contract is up, he's going to ask for the moon..........he already feels slighted about his last contract.  He won't take a hometown discount,  he fired his agent.

It sounds like you talk to Bradley about this. lol

The second part of my question was "who plays shooting guard and who checks those high profile point guards?  Who should we draft?" I would imagine that if Boston traded AB it would not be for another draft pick.

dboss

Fultz plays shooting guard.........IT, Fultz, Smart and Rozier....with maybe the color twins, Green and Brown.

If we traded with, say, DET......we could look at Collins, Leaf or Giles. Or Markenen if he falls, which is unlikely, IMO
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:21 pm

How in the name of conviviality do I express my shock and incredulity at the notion that last year's 16th and 23rd pick may not be good enough to make the roster and certainly not the rotation this year, but that this years 37th pick will?

mmm mebbe there is no way. never mind bounce
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:How in the name of conviviality do I express my shock and incredulity at the notion that last year's 16th and 23rd pick may not be good enough to make the roster and certainly not the rotation this year, but that this years 37th pick will?

I think Zizic will be on the team. He may not be a stud, and may spend some time in ME, but he'll be here. Yabba depends on roster spots, IMO. If we get, say, Blake or JaMychal Green, why waste a roster spot on Yabba this year? It's a nice luxury to have. I'm sure either or both would have made teams last year. By next year, definitely, both will be here.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:39 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:How in the name of conviviality do I express my shock and incredulity at the notion that last year's 16th and 23rd pick may not be good enough to make the roster and certainly not the rotation this year, but that this years 37th pick will?

I for one believe that both Zizic and Yabu will be on the roster. Consider that 3 of our bigs may very well not return next year (Amir, Tyler and Jonas)

The 37th pick is a long shot but given the depth in the 2nd round there is probably a 1st rounder in waiting. Boston has 3 first rounders and could move up to the top of the 2nd round or maybe even flip those picks for a future # 1.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next