+5
wideclyde
worcester
fierce
red16russ11
Rmbone
9 posters

Go down

How Danny Ainge can build a Celtics’ super team in 5 steps Empty How Danny Ainge can build a Celtics’ super team in 5 steps

Post by Rmbone Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm

By Brian Robb 5:00 AM
COMMENTARY

Danny Ainge has seemingly arrived at a crossroads in his quest to bring Banner 18 to Boston. He has been taking the slow and steady path to construct his roster in recent seasons, advancing his cause with young draft picks, smart trades and high-value contracts. That approach helped Boston build a 53-win team and Eastern Conference finalist last year.

But continuing along that deliberate course is starting to get tricky for a couple reasons.

To start, the talent gap the Celtics face in trying to compete with the Cavaliers and Warriors is a sizable one. That much remained clear with Boston’s ugly exit in the East Finals against Cleveland. The Celtics need multiple great players, not just a depth of good ones. Further complicating matters, some of their good ones are going to be owed big paydays soon: Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart are set to hit free agency next year; and investing in all three of those guys is not a winning formula. In order to compete at a higher level, Ainge has to start cashing in some assets now, and that process began on draft night.

The Celtics were reportedly interested in shaking things by way of trade discussions involving Kristaps Porzingis and Paul George, but nothing came to fruition on draft night.

“It certainly hasn’t closed a window that we didn’t do it tonight,” Ainge said Thursday. “There’s still a window open for trade opportunities for us in July.”

So what is Ainge up trying to pull off?

Here is a glimpse of steps that could lead to the core of a super team this summer in Boston.

1) Keep Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown: The pair of recent No. 3 overall picks are under Boston’s control for at least the next eight seasons and are on their rookie deals for the next three years. Holding onto these cheap pieces with tremendous upside will keep the Celtics with a talented and cost-controlled young core for the foreseeable future (unless the right trade comes around down the road).

2) Agree to terms of a Paul George trade … then wait: The Pacers are confident that they are going to deal their disgruntled star, and the Celtics have the assets to make it happen. George has the ability to opt out of his contract after this upcoming season, but Ainge has admitted he’s willing to take a risk on a free agent on an expiring deal for the right cost. If the Celtics can put the right players around George, they may be able to entice him to turn down his hometown Lakers and stay for the long term. In order to put the right players around George though, the Celtics will need to wait until they complete their free-agency signings. Trading for George before those are done would cut into the C’s salary cap room, preventing them from signing a big name like Blake Griffin or Gordon Hayward outright.

3) Sign Gordon Hayward in free agency: The Celtics have planned to have enough cap room this summer for a max free agent since the start of the season. While the salary cap projection dropped to $98 million (limiting the C’s wiggle room around the edges), they can still get to the max salary needed by waiving and trading a couple players. A key rotation piece (Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley) will likely have to be traded for a future draft pick to make the math work, but the door would be open for the Celtics to max out Hayward, filling in those minutes anyway.

Jazz forward Gordon Hayward (20) guards Pacers forward Paul George (13), during an NBA game in Salt Lake City. —AP Photo/George Frey
4) Execute the George trade: After the Celtics sign Hayward, they’ll be over the cap and will have more flexibility to make the salaries match in a hypothetical George deal. The Celtics could send a combination of Bradley, Crowder and Smart to make the salaries match with George’s $18 million price tag; and could also add a first-round pick or two to make it extra enticing for Indiana. The ask from Indiana might not even be that high since George is on an expiring deal and the Pacers might not have much leverage to demand more. Few teams around the league are in a position to convince George to re-sign beyond next season — when he’s let it known that his preference is to play in Los Angeles. The Celtics are one of those teams and Boston has the assets to entice the Pacers. This is a deal that makes sense for both sides to find common ground on.

5) Retain enough assets to acquire one more star: If Ainge can execute this plan, the Celtics’ war chest wouldn’t be empty either. Brown and Tatum are still on rookie contracts, with other young prospects (Ante Zizic, Guerschon Yabusele) on the roster. The 2018 Brooklyn pick is waiting to be used and the 2018 Lakers pick could be too. Those are enough appealing pieces to make a run at another big star, whenever that player becomes available. With a core of George and Hayward in place, the Celtics would have strong building blocks for the next five years to move forward with and compete with the Cavaliers and Warriors.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/06/24/how-danny-ainge-can-build-celtics-super-team?event=event51

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

How Danny Ainge can build a Celtics’ super team in 5 steps Empty Re: How Danny Ainge can build a Celtics’ super team in 5 steps

Post by red16russ11 Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Don't you think IND would ask for Brown or Tatum in any deal?
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

How Danny Ainge can build a Celtics’ super team in 5 steps Empty Re: How Danny Ainge can build a Celtics’ super team in 5 steps

Post by fierce Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:41 pm

red16russ11 wrote:Don't you think IND would ask for Brown or Tatum in any deal?

Here's what it would cost to get PG13.

How Danny Ainge can build a Celtics’ super team in 5 steps Ddhmml10
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 pm

fierce wrote:

Still not sure I believe that one
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Smart has two years left on his rookie deal, no?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:24 pm

worcester wrote:Smart has two years left on his rookie deal, no?

Nope, just one. Rozier has two years left.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Trading all of that for a one year rental seems to be quite a gamble especially when George has already said that he wants to play in LA as soon as his contract ends.

Also, not sure that Hayward leaves $50M in SLC to sign anywhere else. That is just a whole lot of money to leave behind for most people.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Then IT and Avery have no years left. Marcus does not have the same years left as AB and IT as the writer avers.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:57 pm

wideclyde wrote:Trading all of that for a one year rental seems to be quite a gamble especially when George has already said that he wants to play in LA as soon as his contract ends.

Also, not sure that Hayward leaves $50M in SLC to sign anywhere else.  That is just a whole lot of money to leave behind for most people.

That trade only happens if Paul George agrees to an extend and trade.

Celts will not trade for George without an extension.

Paul George will get an additional 94m if agrees to a 3-year extension.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:33 am

I don't see two more SF's coming here this off-season.

I mean if this happens Brad may not have a super team, he may have a SF team.

George
Hayward
Jaylen
Tatum
with
Horford?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by ginoc Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 am

red16russ11 wrote:
fierce wrote:

I would do that deal without an extension. That LAL pick will turn into a 12ish Sacramento pick in all likelihood. There is still that sexy chance it can be 2-5. I'm not sure Indy is getting a better offer.

ginoc

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:25 am

ginoc wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:
fierce wrote:

I would do that deal without an extension. That LAL pick will turn into a 12ish Sacramento pick in all likelihood. There is still that sexy chance it can be 2-5. I'm not sure Indy is getting a better offer.

Ginoc,

Hi! Welcome to the Board!

You think the Sacto Queens might actually rise to where they are in the lower half of the lottery?! That would be a good year for them, one of the best in a decade.

Not the Brooklyn pick, I think, not for George.

Bottom line, though, is that I would not trade for George without an extension. Period. If he is adamant about going to the Lakers then we gave up a lot for just one year.

Once again, welcome to the board. Just like with voting, post early and often!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by ginoc Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks for the welcome, I wouldn't include the Brooklyn pick even if they extended George.He is an interesting rental. Sacramento would have a year to grow Stein, Hield, Fox and Collins

Really Indy would be hoping for that 2-5 pick. The C's can gamble they might sign George after the trade.

ginoc

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:03 am

Hi,
I don't get it. What is the connection between what and how many picks we give Pacers and PG13's desire to extend?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:25 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I don't get it. What is the connection between what and how many picks we give Pacers and PG13's desire to extend?

AK

If Celts and George don't agree to an extension, the Celts should just limit what they give the Pacers because that means George is just a 1 year rental.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:42 am

yeah..I am not giving up any real assets for a one year rental on George.

again, I don't see the need for him IF all the rumors of Hayward coming here are true.

George proved last year with the Pacers he had NO intentions of wanting to play PF at all.

IF we only get Hayward, we have a major logjam at SF unless yu feel he and Crowder, Jaylen and Tatum can cover both forward spots. That may well be the way Stevens sees it. But where does George fit then?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:20 pm

kdp59 wrote:yeah..I am not giving up any real assets for a one year rental on George.

again, I don't see the need for him IF all the rumors of Hayward coming here are true.

George proved last year with the Pacers he had NO intentions of wanting to play PF at all.

IF we only get Hayward, we have a major logjam at SF unless yu feel he and Crowder, Jaylen and Tatum can cover both forward spots. That may well be the way Stevens sees it. But where does George fit then?

Crowder's gone if Celts get Hayward.

I don't know what Ainge will get for Crowder but there's no way Celts will have Hayward, Brown, Tatum, and Crowder on the roster.
That's just too many SFs.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:15 pm

fierce wrote:
kdp59 wrote:yeah..I am not giving up any real assets for a one year rental on George.

Crowder's gone if Celts get Hayward.

I don't know what Ainge will get for Crowder but there's no way Celts will have Hayward, Brown, Tatum, and Crowder on the roster.
That's just too many SFs.

where? for what?

IF he signs Hayward first, he may get bag of chips and stale ham sandwich for Crowder....Like The pacers are finding NO ONE giving them near value for George now.

if you HAVE to move a guy, all 29 other teams know it.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down