Knicks tanking mantra for 2018: "Plummet for Porter"

4 posters

Go down

Knicks tanking mantra for 2018: "Plummet for Porter" Empty Knicks tanking mantra for 2018: "Plummet for Porter"

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 am

http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/knicks-could-tank-to-land-this-likely-no-1-pick-in-18-nba-draft/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Knicks tanking mantra for 2018: "Plummet for Porter" Empty Re: Knicks tanking mantra for 2018: "Plummet for Porter"

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 am

steve3344 wrote:http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/knicks-could-tank-to-land-this-likely-no-1-pick-in-18-nba-draft/

steve,

One of, if not THE, biggest media market in the country with a HUGE sports fan base (perhaps especially basketball) and they have the worst teams. I'm amazed there aren't millions of NY basketball fans walking around with brown paper bags on their heads with eye-holes cut out.

The Rise and Fall of Phil Jackson. He could have been the husband of the President of the Lakers and the heir apparent to the GM's job when the incompetent then-current GM, Dim Buss, did his inevitable crash-and-burn but no. The Zen Master had no patience and went east. In doing so he lost his fiance (who is now dating a younger man) and turned a struggling team into pure roadkill. He did a very UN-zen-like thing and picked a public fight with his star player, which pissed off his future star player who blew off his exit interview in angry protest, and then threw gasoline on that fire by trying to "send a message" to the future star by publicly shopping him. The result is he has now lost it all. Hubris, thy name is Phil Jackson. Hubris, meet Karma.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Knicks tanking mantra for 2018: "Plummet for Porter" Empty Re: Knicks tanking mantra for 2018: "Plummet for Porter"

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 am

bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/knicks-could-tank-to-land-this-likely-no-1-pick-in-18-nba-draft/

steve,

One of, if not THE, biggest media market in the country with a HUGE sports fan base (perhaps especially basketball) and they have the worst teams.  I'm amazed there aren't millions of NY basketball fans walking around with brown paper bags on their heads with eye-holes cut out.

The Rise and Fall of Phil Jackson.  He could have been the husband of the President of the Lakers and the heir apparent to the GM's job when the incompetent then-current GM, Dim Buss, did his inevitable crash-and-burn but no.  The Zen Master had no patience and went east.  In doing so he lost his fiance (who is now dating a younger man) and turned a struggling team into pure roadkill.  He did a very UN-zen-like thing and picked a public fight with his star player, which pissed off his future star player who blew off his exit interview in angry protest, and then threw gasoline on that fire by trying to "send a message" to the future star by publicly shopping him.  The result is he has now lost it all.  Hubris, thy name is Phil Jackson.  Hubris, meet Karma.  

bob

very nice mild accurate analysis of Phil, you should hear real verbatim that I hear from these tortured souls.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:58 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

steve,

One of, if not THE, biggest media market in the country with a HUGE sports fan base (perhaps especially basketball) and they have the worst teams.  I'm amazed there aren't millions of NY basketball fans walking around with brown paper bags on their heads with eye-holes cut out.

The Rise and Fall of Phil Jackson.  He could have been the husband of the President of the Lakers and the heir apparent to the GM's job when the incompetent then-current GM, Dim Buss, did his inevitable crash-and-burn but no.  The Zen Master had no patience and went east.  In doing so he lost his fiance (who is now dating a younger man) and turned a struggling team into pure roadkill.  He did a very UN-zen-like thing and picked a public fight with his star player, which pissed off his future star player who blew off his exit interview in angry protest, and then threw gasoline on that fire by trying to "send a message" to the future star by publicly shopping him.  The result is he has now lost it all.  Hubris, thy name is Phil Jackson.  Hubris, meet Karma.  

bob

very nice mild accurate analysis of Phil, you should hear real verbatim that I hear from these tortured souls.

Cow,

I grew up in NY, as you know. I was a Knick fan back in the '60s and '70s, loving the Willis Reed Knicks. After graduating from Albany State I moved to Boston and watched two of the worst years of basketball I had ever seen (the Sidney Wicks/Curtis Roe years), but I had excellent, excellent seats for it all. Like standing on the platform as a train plowed into the station house next to you. You miss nothing because you are right there and just cannot tear your eyes away. Then Larry Bird happened and I forgot all about the Knicks who, by that time, had phased into another team as Reed, Frazier etal retired and that made it easier for me. Thank God I saw the light and am not still a Knick fan.

Instead of taunting your Knick fan friends (which is probably what I would do in your place) try converting them. They'll resist, of course, but NY basketball fans know, and appreciate, pretty basketball and we play pretty basketball. That's more than can be said for the Knicks. You can catch more birds with honey than with vinegar.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:13 am

Bob I didn't taunt them, I feel sorry for their franchise, first Isiah all those years, then a playoff berth with Melo I think 4 years ago, now all this misery.....why would I taunt them? These guys are not fair weather fans, they hate everything Boston, Sox and ofcourse Patriots, but other than that they're good guys.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Bob, in 1967 I suffered my worst defeat as a wrestler against someone from Albany State - lost 19-2. He pulverized me.

Re Phil Jackson, these words come to mind:

"I coulda been a contender."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/atlantic-division-continues-improve-knicks-sinking-article-1.3304029

Knicks will be battling the Nets for worst record in the East.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down