KyleCleric
red16russ11
dboss
tjmakz
bobheckler
international
13 posters

Go down

Shane Larkin signs with the Celtics. Empty Shane Larkin signs with the Celtics.

Post by international Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:06 am

Source: Boston Celtics, Shane Larkin agree on NBA comeback deal. Widely considered best Euroleague free-agent PG with Milos Teodosic gone

Euroleague star PG Shane Larkin is leaving $6.3 million on the table while betting on himself in NBA comeback deal with Boston.

international

Back to top Go down

Shane Larkin signs with the Celtics. Empty Re: Shane Larkin signs with the Celtics.

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 am

Wuh?  Who is gone, or not coming?

Signed

Horford
Baynes
Zizic
IT
Hayward
Morris
Crowder
Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Semi
Nader
Smart

Expected

Yabby
Theis (signed, I've heard, but the terms aren't clear)

And now Larkin?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Shane Larkin signs with the Celtics. Empty Re: Shane Larkin signs with the Celtics.

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 am

bobheckler wrote:Wuh?  Who is gone, or not coming?

Signed

Horford
Baynes
Zizic
IT
Hayward
Morris
Crowder
Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Semi
Nader
Smart

Expected

Yabby
Theis (signed, I've heard, but the terms aren't clear)

And now Larkin?

bob

Bob,

Teams can keep up to 20 contracts through training camp.
Boston will probably sign a 4 more people to get to the 20.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 am

Something tells me that we might see another trade

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 am

TJ is right - we can have up to 20 players at camp. Having just signed Kadeem Allen to a 2 way deal, however, brings the number to 17 now, not 16.
Just trying to be accurate. Jabari Bird will probably be signed, making 18, so I see 2 more guys getting invites.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:34 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/07/shane_larkin_agrees_to_one-yea.html

Shane Larkin agrees to one-year contract with Boston Celtics, per sources

Posted on July 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Shane Larkin signs with the Celtics. 23104607-mmmain
Shane Larkin (0) has agreed to return to the NBA with the Boston Celtics.(AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

By Jay King

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics have agreed to sign Shane Larkin for point guard depth, league sources confirmed to MassLive.com.

The one-year contract, which pulled Larkin away from bigger money in Europe, will be fully guaranteed for the coming season, a source indicated. Larkin, 24, spent this past year in Spain after three seasons in the NBA.

The 18th overall pick in the 2013 draft, Larkin has averaged 5.8 points and 3.2 assists on 43-percent shooting, including 32.8-percent from the arc. During his most recent NBA season, the guard averaged 7.3 points and 4.4 assists on 44.2-percent shooting, including 36.1-percent from the arc.

The Celtics already have Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier, who are all expected to play big backcourt roles. But while the organization sounds optimistic about Thomas' hip, there's still some uncertainty regarding his injury. As of last week, head coach Brad Stevens said Thomas was "improving" but still waiting on another doctor's appointment to provide more clarity about the best way to proceed with his recovery.

Big man Daniel Theis appears to be signing a contract with Boston in this photo. Despite adding another guaranteed contract in Larkin, the Celtics still plan to sign 2016 draft pick Guerschon Yabusele, according to a source. That would put the roster at 16 players, one over the regular-season limit, not including Kadeem Allen who has signed a two-way contract. Teams can carry additional players through training camp.

bob
MY NOTE:  16 players with guaranteed NBA contracts...Sam always used to say that he assumes that Danny knows how many players you can have on the team and he left that up to him to figure out, but this does tell me someone is gone.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 am

Must be a trade coming unless Yabs is stashed again

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 am

KyleCleric wrote:Must be a trade coming unless Yabs is stashed again

Kyle,

The reports are still saying they plan to sign Yabby. They might just be waiting to confirm he is fully recovered from the bone spur surgery (which was for spurs on TOP of his foot, not the bottom or side).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:29 pm

I seriously doubt that Larkin will make it as one of the final 15 players, but maybe he will make it.
They had to sign him to bring him to training camp.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 pm

"As of last week the Celtics are still seeking clarity on how to proceed with ITs hip injury."

This isn't quite smelling right.......

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:47 pm

tjmakz wrote:I seriously doubt that Larkin will make it as one of the final 15 players, but maybe he will make it.

TJ,

1.  It is an NBA contract, not a 2-way.
2.  It is guaranteed for 1 year, so it is not just a training camp contract. If he doesn't make the team they have to eat the money.
3.  Training camp is > 2 months away.

He might not make the team, they could just eat that money, but the nature and timing of it is odd.  Why sign someone to a guaranteed contract if they didn't think he'd make the team and why do it in July and not August or even early September?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:I seriously doubt that Larkin will make it as one of the final 15 players, but maybe he will make it.

TJ,

1.  It is an NBA contract, not a 2-way.
2.  It is guaranteed for 1 year, so it is not just a training camp contract.  If he doesn't make the team they have to eat the money.
3.  Training camp is > 2 months away.

He might not make the team, they could just eat that money, but the nature and timing of it is odd.  Why sign someone to a guaranteed contract if they didn't think he'd make the team and why do it in July and not August or even early September?

bob

Bob,

Yes, it is a guaranteed contract.
Shane Larkin probably would not agree to come to a training camp without a mostly or guaranteed contract.
There might have been interest from other teams, that's why Boston came to the table with a fully guaranteed contract.
Boston signed him now probably before another team could. He could be insurance in case there are issues with IT's hip.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 pm

I think TJ has it right.

Nothing big. A look on the cheap and some possible added depth or insurance.

Routine business.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Larkin is a small guy. A little taller than Isaiah, but with less reach and weight. From what I have read, he has improved his game a bit overseas. He has become more aggressive going to the hoop, so he goes to the line more.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:17 pm

NYCelt wrote:I think TJ has it right.

Nothing big.  A look on the cheap and some possible added depth or insurance.

Routine business.

except it says fully guaranteed. even at minimum or near that is still money thrown out the window if the guy doesn't make the roster.
this means one of two things to me.

1) Danny has another trade up his sleeve

or

2) Danny knows IT's hip is worst than they are letting on.

actually I just looked and could one of THREE things

3) Yabusele will not play here this year.

Last edited by kdp59 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 pm

kdp59 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I think TJ has it right.

Nothing big.  A look on the cheap and some possible added depth or insurance.

Routine business.

except it says fully guaranteed. even at minimum or near that is still money thrown out the window if the guy doesn't make the roster.
this means one of two things to me.

1) Danny has another trade up his sleeve

or

2) Danny knows IT's hip is worst than they are letting on.

kdp,

Or

3) Both

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Larkin left a lot of money on the table in Europe. That would suggest that maybe some promises were made. We`ll see how it all shakes out. Semih and Yabu seem like very similar offensive players to me, with Semih reputed to be the better defender. I think Theis fills the Jonas role. I find this all very exciting.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 pm

The deal makes sense to me. Cover all the bases. Be prepared for any eventuality. Lots of reason to get another ball handler on the roster.

1. IT is injured, has not had surgery, and will continue to be a very attractive trade target.
2. TR has not truly proven to managements satisfaction that he is a reliable piece to the future. He dominated the Dleague his first year, showed well in the playoffs, and had a great SL, and then disappeared at the end of the bench until the playoffs when when he showed up. They probably don't trust him but he has value and there have been reports of interest.
3. MS definitely would draw some trade interest and as we all know even if we won't admit it, has serious holes in his game.
4. Larkin has improved his game overseas, but we will have to wait and see how much it translates. This is either a signing getting ready for a trade and more assets for the war chest, or an insurance policy just in case.
5. Danny will do what it takes to take this team to an elite level and believe me, he isn't waiting 3-5 years for LeBron to start to fade. He is going for it this year. If it doesn't quite work out, he is ready for next years draft and FA/Trade season and has all those picks.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 pm

mulco - true dat...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm

I think maybe we're looking too deep here.

Both TJ and Mulcogi make excellent points.

I don't see any deep hidden agenda.

Sensible, inexpensive move. Possible depth, possible insurance. Nothing unusual.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:06 am

Unless IT's torn hip labrum was a VERY minor tear, we may have a problem Houston. Hip labrum tears rarely heal on their own. Pain and inflammation usually subside only after an extended period of rest, and activity can flare it up. Surgery usually dramatically speeds up the healing process. Without surgery IT has wasted a good 7 weeks of his recovery IMHO. He may be damaged goods. Only Danny, Isaiah and the Celts medical team have a clear idea at this point. We'll see what transpires.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down