Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life

3 posters

Go down

Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life Empty Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724313-tim-duncan-training-in-mma-in-post-nba-life?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life

ZAC WASSINK

JULY 28, 2017

Former San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan retired from the NBA following the 2015-16 season, but it appears the 41-year-old is doing well to remain in fighting shape.

This past Wednesday, the Facebook page for Echols Fitness posted a 23-second video of the five-time NBA champion sparring.

While Duncan admittedly isn't the fastest fighter in this short clip, his size, athleticism and skill level would make him an intimidating opponent for any novice.  

Not surprisingly, Duncan's fundamentals look strong.  

https://www.facebook.com/echolsfitness/videos/1813081272336359/

bob
MY NOTE:  An opinion from Cowens/Old School, and anybody else of course, would be welcome on this video:

1.  I don't see why this is MMA fighting, there's no grappling, takedowns, open hands or elbow strikes.  In fact, they are wearing boxing gloves so you cannot do those things.  This looks like a regular martial arts, like Tae Kwon Do, not MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). What other influences are there?

2.  I don't think Duncan's fundamentals are that good.  He allows his opponent to hit him in his thigh, he blocks kicks with his arm against his head (the impact will just be transmitted through his arm onto his head with just a little cushion) and he did a spinning back kick and didn't kick even though his distance was pretty good.  His punches and kicks, in general, weren't anywhere near his opponent.  That is not indicative of "good fundamentals" since being in control of your space and distance is key to good fundamentals.  In training you're supposed to punch and kick to within a couple of inches of your target, or perhaps light contact if it's a kick, not a foot or more away.  That shows lack of confidence in your control, lack of understanding of your reach.

3.  It was at half-speed, it wasn't real sparring.  I'm not saying "no solid impact", of course neither was punching or kicking with intent to actually hit hard, but the punches and kicks were deliberately show, as if for entertainment purposes only.

Your thoughts, Cow?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life Empty Re: Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Bob he looks good, they are doing sparring to practice technique and angles, distancing etc. They are not going all out to finish each other or going full power, this is how sparring looks when you are sparring and not fighting to compete so you can work on things without hurting/injuring each other.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life Empty Re: Tim Duncan Training in MMA in Post-NBA Life

Post by worcester Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:23 pm

From a medical perspective, I would prefer he go back to swimming.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down