Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough?

+9
cowens/oldschool
gyso
wideclyde
dboss
mulcogiseng
NYCelt
international
swish
bobheckler
13 posters

Go down

Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough? Empty Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough?

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:33 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/8/18/16104860/which-boston-celtics-player-isnt-remembered-enough

Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough?

This is a question asked at Celticsblog, which is why I have given the link and credit to their site, but I want to start fresh here.

This is about every player who played for this franchise.  Players you think should be in the pantheon of Celtic greats but isn't or, at least, be given more credit for their contributions than they are.

On Celticsblog the author, Jeff Clark, opinion was DJ, with Cornbread getting honorary mention.  He thought DJ isn't remembered for being as great as the author believes he deserves and neither does Max.

I'm going to say Tiny.  Everybody remembers him as the great player with the Cincinnati/KC-Omaha Royals and all, but how about some love for the 5 years he was in green?  He won a championship here with Larry, just like Big Bill Walton did but somehow people remember Walton more.  Did he average as many points with us as he did earlier in his career?  No, but he played with Bird and the rest.  Who needed him to score?

Anyway, that's my pick.  If we had gotten Dave Bing or The Pistol a few years earlier in their careers maybe I would say something else but we didn't so I'm going with Tiny.

How about you?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough? Empty Re: Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough?

Post by swish Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:26 pm

For me it's Bailey Howell with Tiny a close 2nd - but remember - unless your into Celtic history it's been many years since they did their thing at the Boston Garden.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough? Empty Re: Which Boston Celtic Player Isn't Remembered Enough?

Post by international Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:29 pm

To me is Gene Conley,a good backup for Bill Russell and at the same time a very good Pitcher in MLB.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Acie Earl.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

probably not really a legit candidate but as soon as I saw Gene Conley I thot of Chuck Connors Smile
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Satch Sanders. We rarely mention his name when we reminisce about the Russell years.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 pm

With Dboss on Satch Sanders. Very much unsung when he played (scored, rebounded and played the opposing team's best forward every night on defense) and nearly invisible after but he made huge contributions to the seven championships that happened during his time in Boston.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Sam Jones.

Everyone talks about Cousy, Russell, Heinsohn, Havlicek, Cowens, Archibald, Bird, McHale, Parrish and now Pierce.

I think his greatness gets lost in the shuffle.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:18 am

JoJo White rarely gets mentioned as a premier guard of his era, everyone thinks of Jerry West, Walt Frazier, the Pistol and Tiny. Meanwhile he's got more championships than any of them, tied with Frazier, and with an aging Hondo in 76, he carried us on offense and was Finals MVP.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:47 am

gyso wrote:Sam Jones.

Everyone talks about Cousy, Russell, Heinsohn, Havlicek, Cowens, Archibald, Bird, McHale, Parrish and now Pierce.

I think his greatness gets lost in the shuffle.

gyso

I was thinking Sam as well

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am

Sam Jones, Satch Sanders, Max, DJ and Tiny are all remembered quite fondly and often by the current fanbase. 4 of the 5 have retired numbers, Max does the games on the radio and Sam is on ESPN, ABC and TNT graphics all the time for most finals appearances, championships and career points from a SG.

My list of guys would include already mentioned Gene Conley, JoJo White and Bailey Howell along with Larry Siegfried and Paul Silas.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:37 pm

my vote goes to Sam Jones. Young people today hear his name and think that he was just one of a group who won many titles. But Sam was so smooth, so tough, one of the best shooters I ever saw I loved watching him. He just seems to be a forgotten superstar. Russell has said many times how important Sam was to those teams.

The other one is DJ. He really brought an edge to the game that the Celtics were lacking. Larry loved playing with him
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Not going to argue with any of the above picks. But as a player there was a guy that was a glue person. He played tough D and wasn't afraid to challenge a player 1 foot taller than him.

Who can forget the headline...Tree bites man?

Damn good defender and pretty good shooter.

He's talked about a lot now  in his present role but as a player you don't hear much of anything.

Danny Ainge

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Good addition Beat! How you doing? And the kids?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:36 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Good addition Beat!  How you doing? And the kids?  
Every one is doing pretty good.  I've lost 65 pounds over the past 2 years and am even running some 5K's.  Best time is 27:14.  Kids are both doing ok and the wife still works to support me!   Retirement is wonderful!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:my vote goes to Sam Jones.  Young people today hear his name and think that he was just one of a group who won many titles.  But Sam was so smooth, so tough, one of the best shooters I ever saw I loved watching him. He just seems to be a forgotten superstar. Russell has said many times how important Sam was to those teams.

The other one is DJ. He really brought an edge to the game that the Celtics were lacking. Larry loved playing with him

was ahead of his time, one of the first of the athletic do it all guards at a time most weren't like that, could run the floor, shoot, legendary in the clutch.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Congratulations, that is quite a feat. It makes you feel younger.. Was never a runner, wish I was. I have a daughter who is constantly doing something, teaches yoga, walks miles and miles, she did some running, but decided to stick to what she liked!

Great to hear, tell your wife to retire. You both will enjoy retirement life. Ha Ha. Never would have retired if my health hadn't given out on me. Been a long five years, but I am doing okay. Life is okay for the both of us. Never thought I would get this old!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down