Isaiah Thomas' hip injury reportedly includes arthritis and loss of cartilage

+2
Shamrock1000
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

Isaiah Thomas' hip injury reportedly includes arthritis and loss of cartilage Empty Isaiah Thomas' hip injury reportedly includes arthritis and loss of cartilage

Post by NYCelt Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm

This keeps getting worse...

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/8/16276550/isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-update-arthritis-cartilage-cavs-celtics-kyrie-irving-trade?yptr=yahoo?src=rss

The news about Isaiah Thomas’s right hip keeps getting worse and worse. Not only did Thomas suffer a right femoral-acetabular impingement with a bruised hip and torn labrum, but according to The Athletic’s Jason Lloyd, Cleveland’s new All-Star point guard has other conditions complicating his healing process, including some arthritis and a loss of cartilage.

Writes Lloyd:

One source with direct knowledge of Thomas’ hip condition told The Athletic last week that he is dealing with more than just a tear. Some of those secondary issues in the hip he has played with for years now, such as a loss of cartilage and some arthritis, are complicating his healing process.

“No one has any idea how quickly this will heal or if it even will heal at all,” the source said. “It’s hard to predict.”

The Cavaliers paused trade negotiations with the Boston Celtics when doctors discovered the severity of Thomas’s hip injury. Cleveland eventually relented, sending Kyrie Irving to Boston for Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, Brooklyn’s 2018 pick and additionally Miami’s 2020 second-rounder.

But there has been a cloud of uncertainty surrounding Thomas, who declined to comment on his hip during Thursday’s introductory press conference. Instead, general manager Koby Altman intercepted all questions regarding Thomas’s hip injury, shutting down further questions about his status or his timeline for recovery.

Related

The Cavaliers really do not want to talk about Isaiah Thomas' hip injury

In an unlikely, but possible outcome, Thomas’s hip recovery — which does not include surgery — could keep him out for the entire 2017-18 season, according to ESPN’s Zach Lowe. That’s bad news for a Cavaliers team looking to return to the NBA Finals for a fourth consecutive season, but only have Derrick Rose, Jose Calderon, and Kay Felder as options at point guard.

The Cavs have not updated Thomas’ status, but it seems to get more worrisome by the day. Stay tuned.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Thomas' hip injury reportedly includes arthritis and loss of cartilage Empty Re: Isaiah Thomas' hip injury reportedly includes arthritis and loss of cartilage

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks NY Celt. I was just about to post something related. For those who are interested, here is the link to Lloyd's article:

https://theathletic.com/96596/2017/09/07/lloyd-so-few-answers-raise-even-more-questions-about-isaiah-thomas-health/

I have been saying that this trade just doesn't make sense unless IT's hip is more of a concern than anybody is admitting. If it truly is a concern, then this trade becomes so much more understandable from Danny's perspective.

More importantly, I hope it is not true, or that it doesn't end up affecting IT's career. The guy bled green, and I really want to see him continue to prove everyone wrong and excel.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Thomas' hip injury reportedly includes arthritis and loss of cartilage Empty Re: Isaiah Thomas' hip injury reportedly includes arthritis and loss of cartilage

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Thanks NY Celt. I was just about to post something related. For those who are interested, here is the link to Lloyd's article:

https://theathletic.com/96596/2017/09/07/lloyd-so-few-answers-raise-even-more-questions-about-isaiah-thomas-health/

I have been saying that this trade just doesn't make sense unless IT's hip is more of a concern than anybody is admitting. If it truly is a concern, then this trade becomes so much more understandable from Danny's perspective.

More importantly, I hope it is not true, or that it doesn't end up affecting IT's career. The guy bled green, and I really want to see him continue to prove everyone wrong and excel.

For those who bother to click on the link to Lloyd's article, it is interesting to read the comments at the end to see the Angst surrounding this trade from the Cleveland perspective....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Just a feeling, but I think this trade will rival the Nets' trade of a few years ago as Danny's finest moment. At the same time, I think there was an element of luck involved, unless somehow he knew Kyrie would become available. If IT is so injured that the injury cannot even be detailed, why didn't we take Fultz..? Anyway, I like where we're sitting now enough to get my first year of league pass. Go Celtics!

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:35 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:Just a feeling, but I think this trade will rival the Nets' trade of a few years ago as Danny's finest moment. At the same time, I think there was an element of luck involved, unless somehow he knew Kyrie would become available. If IT is so injured that  the injury cannot even be detailed, why didn't we take Fultz..? Anyway, I like where we're sitting now enough to get my first year of league pass. Go Celtics!

That's a really good question hawks - didn't think of that...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:06 pm

I just do not see this injury going away with rest.  I think surgery must be considered.  This is a tough situation for him given his expiring contract and his age.  

From the Celtics perspective it was all about timing and assets.  The Celtics probably dodged a bullet.  The move by Danny to trade down and get another 1st round pick made it much easier to part with the Nets pick.  

All things considered Danny probably made the right decisions with trading down and trading the Nets pick.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:56 am

What a shame, he should have had surgery months ago.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 am

You are right Cow.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down