Sheldon Williams Now Has Doc's Attention - ESPN BOSTON

+5
cowens/oldschool
MDCelticsFan
swedeinestonia
jeb
9 posters

Go down

Sheldon Williams Now Has Doc's Attention - ESPN BOSTON Empty Sheldon Williams Now Has Doc's Attention - ESPN BOSTON

Post by 112288 Sun May 02, 2010 10:49 pm

Celtics coach Doc Rivers didn't sound ready to pull the plug on the Rasheed Wallace experiment quite yet, but admitted that, if Wallace's defensive play doesn't improve moving forward, he's willing to consider utilizing Shelden Williams more off the bench instead.

"[Wallace] has to play better, bottom line," said Rivers, who has given Wallace plenty of rope this season. "He has to play better defense -- the offense will come -- but he has to be a better defender. And we can't wait for him. He has to be a better defender for us."

Wallace, underwhelming for much of the 2009-10 season, continues to provide little in the way of production in the postseason despite all the playoff experience he brought with him to Boston. After logging a mere two points and two rebounds over 13 minutes in Saturday's Game 1 loss, Wallace is now at minus-20 in the plus/minus for the postseason, the lowest number on a team that's won four of the six games it has played.

Rivers seemed unwilling to completely yank Wallace from the rotation, but noted that Williams won't be overlooked.

"{Williams] enters the discussion every day," said Rivers. "He's definitely in the discussion, there's no doubt about that."

The 35-year-old Wallace is averaging 3.5 points on a mere 35 percent shooting and 2 rebounds per game this postseason. This from a player who has averaged 14.2 points on 44.5 percent shooting and 6.5 rebounds over 159 career playoff games. What's more, he's slow to react on defense, often getting raced past by ball-handlers and struggling to corral 50/50 balls against more athletic big men.

Asked if Wallace's minutes could be on the decline, after already slipping in the first round, Rivers said simply: "It could be. The bottom line is he has to play better. And we'll give him every opportunity to play well."

Williams, who is playing in his first playoff series in his four years in the league, has appeared in only one game, logging 18 minutes against Miami in the Game 2 that Kevin Garnett was suspended for.

Asked about more potential playing time before that game, Williams said he doesn't change his preparation.

"You prepare like you prepare for every game," he said. "If it happens or if it doesn’t happen, you go in the same way... Like I said, I go into the game preparing to play, and if it plays out like that, I’ll be ready."

Wallace is clearly the superior player when he plays to his abilities, but his abilities appear to have diminished rapidly this season. Even with numerous starts for injured Garnett, Wallace did not register a single double-double this year. Even Williams registered one double-double at the start of the year while playing in place of injured Glen Davis.

PS IT'S ABOUT TIME DOC!

Back to top Go down

Sheldon Williams Now Has Doc's Attention - ESPN BOSTON Empty Re: Sheldon Williams Now Has Doc's Attention - ESPN BOSTON

Post by jeb Mon May 03, 2010 12:00 am

thank god...i am so tired of that douche
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Sheldon Williams Now Has Doc's Attention - ESPN BOSTON Empty Re: Sheldon Williams Now Has Doc's Attention - ESPN BOSTON

Post by swedeinestonia Mon May 03, 2010 7:56 am

Williams might not be the sharpest tool in the shed or play the "smartest" basketball but he brings effort and hustle.

Wallace probably has the tools but not the effort.

In this case I will take the effort.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 am

Shelden Williams has to be special. He won the heart of one of the world's most beautiful women, Candace Parker. Candace, by the way, has 2 NCAA titles, and an Olympic Gold Medal to her credit. She also has Shelden's baby girl! That alone rises Shelden above used up 'sheed!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 am

Sheed doesn't even raise his arms to full extension on defense,I'm very sick of his game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 am

would LOVE to see shelden get some minutes. i have said that before during the playoffs on a couple of other threads, and am amazed and delighted to see Doc is actuallly open to that.

thx, 112288, i'd missed the article ... gotta go check out Globe's celtics news ...

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 03, 2010 11:14 am

Shelden's offense is far, far more limited than Sheed's. His hands are much harder than Sheed's (comparable, I'd say, to Perk's). His feet aren't that quick either moving laterally, maybe a little better than Sheed's (not hard since Sheed doesn't move laterally at all). His passing and courtvision are inferior to Sheed's. He lacks Sheed's length.

One thing Shelden has that Sheed doesn't, though, is ganas. Shelden WANTS it. Bad. He attacks the offensive boards like the way Leon did. He's a disrupter and will, no doubt, park LBJ on his royal ass if that is what is necessary to prevent a layup.

Right now, I'd say ganas is more valuable than a more talented player who isn't playing well.

Sheed's admitted attitude this year has been "nobody can tell me nothin' because I've been in the league so long I've seen it all". Oh yeah? Have you seen what it's like being an unnecessary 5th wheel, Sheed?

Play Shelden more. If nothing else, it'll make the Cleveland coaching staff and players re-think their play and having them react to us is better than the other way around.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 pm

bobheck

I concur. Perfect post as usual. Where you watchin the game tonight?

jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 03, 2010 2:57 pm

jeb65 wrote:bobheck

I concur. Perfect post as usual. Where you watchin the game tonight?

jeb

jeb,

3rd stool from the end on the right at my favorite local pub in San Carlos.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon May 03, 2010 7:03 pm

BobH: Is that San Carlos Boozer?-MD. (LOL)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 pm

ESPN with their finger on the pulse as usual Laughing
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 03, 2010 11:09 pm

goin to be fun watching Barkley backpeddle if we can win this thing.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon May 03, 2010 11:46 pm

OOOOOOOOOOH YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Tue May 04, 2010 1:43 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Sheed doesn't even raise his arms to full extension on defense,I'm very sick of his game.
On the outside chance that there is a connection between his playing and your comments please keep trashing Sheed, it's working so far.
Sometimes it's good to be a towel.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down