Two new NBA rules

+2
red16russ11
tjmakz
6 posters

Go down

Two new NBA rules Empty Two new NBA rules

Post by tjmakz Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:38 pm

The league is making two new changes this year.
1) When a defensive player's foot comes under a jump shooter when he lands, this can now be called a flagrant foul instead of a regular foul.
2) The bigger change was a very necessary one. Players (mostly point guards) have been coming around a screen, and once they feel contact, they throw the ball up to get 2 or 3 free throws. I am glad the NBA is cracking down on trend. Harden and IT probably benefitted the most last season from these "shooting" fouls.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/21/nba-refs-can-rule-reckless-closeouts-flagrants-or-techs
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Two new NBA rules Empty Re: Two new NBA rules

Post by red16russ11 Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:09 pm

2 good and necessary rule changes. Now if they could eliminate the stupid defensive 3 seconds, the games would be even more enjoyable
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:19 pm

tjmakz wrote:The league is making two new changes this year.
1) When a defensive player's foot comes under a jump shooter when he lands, this can now be called a flagrant foul instead of a regular foul.
2) The bigger change was a very necessary one. Players (mostly point guards) have been coming around a screen, and once they feel contact, they throw the ball up to get 2 or 3 free throws. I am glad the NBA is cracking down on trend. Harden and IT probably benefitted the most last season from these "shooting" fouls.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/21/nba-refs-can-rule-reckless-closeouts-flagrants-or-techs

TJ,

#1 should probably be called the "Zaza Rule".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:54 pm

2nd one should have been put in when Reggie Miller played or when Dwayne Wade started!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:49 pm

I think they should get rid of the stupid semi-circle in the post and start making the charging/blocking foul ruling more consistent.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:14 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I think they should get rid of the stupid semi-circle in the post and start making the charging/blocking foul ruling more consistent.

KJ

How does the restricted area relate to consistency? IMO - if you keep the restricted area, at least you have ONE place on the floor where the refs cannot screw up the call.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:I think they should get rid of the stupid semi-circle in the post and start making the charging/blocking foul ruling more consistent.

KJ

How does the restricted area relate to consistency?  IMO - if you keep the restricted area, at least you have ONE place on the floor where the refs cannot screw up the call.

Because this call is one of the most inconsistently officiated. Hence, this call is screwed up a lot.

I can't tell you how many times a blocking foul really should have been ruled a charge. I think the circle is more of a distraction, when really refs ought to be watching how contact is initiated.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 pm

If you are talking about the block / charge call in general being one of the most inconsistent calls, I would agree 100%. My point is at least as it relates to the restricted area, there is no discretion left to the refs - in the circle or not is the only question.

The point of the restricted area is that, when you are that close to the basket you should not be trying to draw a charge. Period. Taking a charge that deep leads to injuries, fights etc. The restricted area is one of the best additions to NBA rules in recent years IMO.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:If you are talking about the block / charge call in general being one of the most inconsistent calls, I would agree 100%.  My point is at least as it relates to the restricted area, there is no discretion left to the refs - in the circle or not is the only question.

The point of the restricted area is that, when you are that close to the basket you should not be trying to draw a charge.  Period.  Taking a charge that deep leads to injuries, fights etc.  The restricted area is one of the best additions to NBA rules in recent years IMO.

But even with the drawn boundary, they miss this call rather frequently. I wouldn't have an issue with this particular rule if they'd enforce it consistently. But the problem is the refs have too many things to watch for within the blink of an eye. This inevitably leads to humor error.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:21 pm

I use a phrase at work with my team all the time, good isnt the enemy of great.

I agree that even with the restricted area, there are mistakes made. But the number of times that the circle makes it a clear cut block - combined with the number of players who no longer even attempt to step in on a player that deep in the key make it a successful rule in spite of the less than 100% accuracy rate.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down