Marcus Smart's new physique drawing rave reviews

2 posters

Go down

Marcus Smart's new physique drawing rave reviews Empty Marcus Smart's new physique drawing rave reviews

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:26 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/09/marcus_smart_boston_celtics_4.html

Boston Celtics news: Marcus Smart's new physique drawing rave reviews

Updated on September 25, 2017 at 6:06 AM Posted on September 25, 2017 at 6:00 AM

Marcus Smart's new physique drawing rave reviews 23033463-mmmain
Cleveland Cavaliers guard Deron Williams (31) drives against Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart (36) during the first half of Game 5 of the NBA basketball Eastern Conference finals, on Thursday, May 25, 2017, in Boston.(AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

By Jay King

BOSTON -- Marcus Smart's physical transformation has paid off in the form of upgraded athleticism, according to those who watched the Boston Celtics guard work out this offseason.

"He's flying around," said one Celtics source. "He's jumping like crazy."

Another onlooker of recent team workouts said Smart looks "fast as (expletive)."

The rave reviews, echoed by others, came after Smart dedicated his summer to slimming down. Entering the final season of his rookie contract, Smart said earlier this offseason he had dropped about 20 pounds. His latest stated weight, 219 pounds, indicates he played last season as a 240-pound guard -- a startling size, even for a rugged player with a linebacker's build.

Though Smart has regularly collected "winning plays" throughout the early stages of his career, a lack of explosiveness has limited his effectiveness. Despite his obvious strength, Smart hasn't found much success drawing free throws or finishing at the rim. It may be easier to scoff at his lowly 3-point shooting percentages, but his inability to score in the paint has been similarly troubling. And Smart hasn't shown promising development in that area. According to Basketball-Reference.com, he made only 48.8 percent of his field goal attempts from 0-3 feet last season, a career low. For reference, Isaiah Thomas shot 58.9 percent from that distance while dealing with defenses hell-bent on stopping him. Avery Bradley shot 62.2 percent from that range on more attempts than Smart.

Celtics announcer Tommy Heinsohn criticized Smart's physical conditioning at times last season, saying the guard would benefit from losing weight. Smart apparently agreed. Earlier this month, he said he had been "in the gym non-stop" and "eating right" throughout the offseason.

"Just making sure my body's right," Smart said. "It's a different me. It is a new me, it truly is. I'm more explosive and things like that. And I'm healthy so that's a big part for me."

It's still to be determined how Smart's slimmed-down physique will impact his production. He should compete for a starting backcourt position next to Kyrie Irving when the Celtics tip off training camp Tuesday. Even if somebody else nabs the first-unit spot, Smart should be relied on for big minutes again this season.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart's new physique drawing rave reviews Empty Re: Marcus Smart's new physique drawing rave reviews

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Love me some Marcus. Great story from a tough start to where he is. Hoping he takes another step forward and ends up here long term.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down