8 posters

Go down

Brad's Expectations For Yabusele Empty Brad's Expectations For Yabusele

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Boston Celtics‏Verified account
@celtics
Follow
More
On Yabusele: "He's got to be a playmaker, a la Al (Horford) for us ... I think his greatest strength is seeing the floor & passing the ball"

bob
MY NOTE:  Personally, I think that's asking a lot of a soon-to-be 22-year old rookie but if Brad is seeing something in Yabby that makes him think he could do this that's amazing, and makes Danny's inexplicable (at the time) draft-and-stash pick with #16 look like genius.  A 6'8", 260+# point forward?  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad's Expectations For Yabusele Empty Re: Brad's Expectations For Yabusele

Post by dboss Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm

I guess i will have to pay more attention to his passing. I did not see that as a skill. I think Brad may be way ahead of himself. Yabu first needs to establish himself at the defensive end and on the glass at an NBA level.

Next he needs to work on his ball handling skills and shot selection.

I need to see one great pass to a cutter before I ordain him as a Point Forward.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:34 pm

The game was very fast for him earlier in the week. He'll need to adjust. He was hustling and trying to be disruptive. The foul on the 3 pt play likely wouldn't have been called if a vet was defending instead of him.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm

he looked a little raw in that first game, has alot of work to do. But, I love his size. I remember how impressive he was last summer before he went overseas. It is too bad he had the surgery that kept him inactive this summer, it would have given us (or, rightfully, Brad) a good measuring stick
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:29 pm

After 2 preseason games, Yabu has not impressed me.

Theis would be ahead of Yabu on the depth chart.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:41 am

I liked the way he rebounded the ball tonight, if he can keep doing that, he should get minutes and be a definite asset.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:04 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I liked the way he rebounded the ball tonight, if he can keep doing that, he should get minutes and be a definite asset.

Cow,

8 rebounds in 16 minutes? Oh yeah...Just game 2 of pre-season but those are bee-U-tiful numbers.

If you can do one thing better than anybody else, it almost doesn't matter what, you'll get on the floor. If you are a mediocre player in every way except that you are a cold-blooded 90+% frito shooter, you will get some minutes when Brad knows we're about to get intentionally fouled a lot. If Yabby just rebounds like a fiend he'll get minutes. And Lord Knows we need rebounding...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:11 am

bob

After 2 preseason games, the Celts outrebounded their opponent.

I think the Celts will be a good rebounding team this season because they're taller and longer compared to last season.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:24 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I liked the way he rebounded the ball tonight, if he can keep doing that, he should get minutes and be a definite asset.

Cow,

8 rebounds in 16 minutes?  Oh yeah...Just game 2 of pre-season but those are bee-U-tiful numbers.

If you can do one thing better than anybody else, it almost doesn't matter what, you'll get on the floor.  If you are a mediocre player in every way except that you are a cold-blooded 90+% frito shooter, you will get some minutes when Brad knows we're about to get intentionally fouled a lot.  If Yabby just rebounds like a fiend he'll get minutes.  And Lord Knows we need rebounding...

bob

exactly, he had one offensive rebound where he was on the right side outside by the 3 point line, then as soon as the shot was up, like a blur, he was in the paint past Emeka Okafor, snatching the board hard.

that play was Barkleyesque, and I'm seeing the quickness and strength attributes in his game that can help us at the big positions, for a developing rookie, that is a great base to work with, we have enough guys that can do finesse and score, we need some brutes and rebounders, and Yabu is showing me hes got a natural feel/ability to do that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 am

It will be good to see him play against a couple of quality teams to see how he handles himself. I think Brad likes him, so that counts for alot. It was good watching the team as a whole rebound last night. Losing Zinzic may not be as bad as some thought, though I will be interested in watching him mature in Cleveland.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:58 am

He still looks like a project. A lot will depend on him working on the more skilled aspects of the game. I, too, can't corroborate a narrative describing him as a "great passer."

The rebounding is nice, though.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:07 pm

there must be something going on in practice that brings that description of his game out. Brad has said it also, so we are definitely not seeing something. I do think he will be a long range project
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Easy does it with the accolades and criticisms - after all it's just early into a shortened preseason. A much better picture of the pluses and minuses will be available down the road away when the PRACTICE games are over.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:13 pm

KyleCleric wrote:The game was very fast for him earlier in the week. He'll need to adjust. He was hustling and trying to be disruptive. The foul on the 3 pt play likely wouldn't have been called if a vet was defending instead of him.
Much stronger 2nd game for Yabusele. Game wasn't too fast for him yesterday. Made a couple of nice deflections defensively. Like Semi, needs confidence, experience, consistency. Neither are ready to help much right away. Luckily, they don't need to with Horford, Morris, Baynes, and Theis ahead of them and small lineups with Hayward, Brown, and Tatum.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Last night Tatum got the start. Maybe next game Morris is in there and just maybe in game 4 Theis or Yabu get the start at PF.

I will try not to overthink the rotational pecking order. I am seeing good things from Theis and Yabu. Stevens will figure things out through experimentation.

The thing I like most is that all of our new bigs go after the ball on the glass. That upgrades this team over last year.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down