dboss
NYCelt
wideclyde
Matty
bobheckler
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now Empty Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jahlil-okafor-drunk-during-boston-010002596.html

Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now

Dan Feldman,NBC Sports 12 hours ago

Joel Embiid just got a max contract extension.

Another 76ers center, Jahlil Okafor, is still trying to rehab his image after he got caught on video fighting on the streets of Boston in 2015 (and getting in another fight and speeding and allegedly trying to use a fake ID and playing ineffective defense and…).

Okafor opened up about that Boston fight and his place in Philadelphia.

Okafor, via Jordan Brenner of SB Nation:

“We were almost about to win that game against the Celtics and it ended up getting away from us in the fourth quarter,” Okafor says of that night in Boston. “I remember just being upset because I thought we were about to get our first win. And I just decided I’m going to go out that night. I don’t remember a lot of it, because I was really intoxicated. And me being drunk, I wasn’t in my right state of mind. I remember being taunted — just random stuff I would hear all the time on the court. I just reacted differently.” Those early experiences hardened Okafor. He was shocked when the speeding ticket became major news, then again when a rumor spread that he’d used a fake ID at a bar near his house, an allegation he vehemently denies.

“I’m unsure if I’m still on the team,” Okafor says now. “Am I really a part of this process? Am I really a part of this culture? That’s why the guys have been out there on social media, but I’ve just kind of been in the dark. I’ll go to a Sixers event, smile, take pictures with the kids and stuff like that, but I’m still thinking, ‘am I a part of this team?’”

The 76ers are openly shopping Okafor. They signed Amir Johnson when they already had Okafor and Richaun Holmes behind Embiid.

I don’t blame Okafor for feeling lost.

He obviously hasn’t always handled it the optimal way, but his anguish is understandable. He’d probably be better off with a fresh start elsewhere, and Philadelphia clearly wants to move on. It’s just a matter of finding the right trade.

For now, Okafor should focus on controlling what he can control. Easier said than done, though.

bob
MY NOTE: He's Dwight Howard, 10-15 years too late. I'm sure Okafor and Shaq would have had epic battles in the blocks but those days are gone, at least for his era. When Charlotte plays Philly, if Embiid is out and the match Okafor up against Howard, it will be like watching One Million Years, B.C., except without Raquel Welch (in which case, what's the point?).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now Empty Re: Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now

Post by Matty Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Good point in the notes bob.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now Empty Re: Jahlil Okafor: I was drunk during Boston fight, unsure how I fit with 76ers now

Post by wideclyde Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Okafor is just another young guy who is trying to justify his poor behavioral choices.  His first poor choice was underage drinking and then followed it up by fighting in public.  Blaming alcohol is a pretty standard excuse for behaviors like fighting.  Alcohol consumption is also more accepted as an excuse than it should be, but this kid needed to man up and take responsibility to much better get my attention.

I am quite sure that he is not the third or fourth center on the 'ers roster because he got into a little fight last year in Boston, but much more due to his lack of efforts to become much more "NBA usable" in this new age of NBA play.  He was a very high draft pick so he must have the talent to make his weaker areas at least somewhat stronger.

Work on your outside shot, big fella.  Get someone to better teach you to do a better job on defense to include putting in more effort and hustle.  If nothing else, getting better may help make another team more interested in your services even if you never can take playing time from Embiid in Philly.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Okafor is another example of many young players not being ready for life in the NBA.  It's not a question of talent, guys like Okafor have more than enough.  It's maturity. They get a lot thrown their way in a short time at a young age.  Anyone else care to imagine what they would have done in Okafor's place at his age?  I'll be the first to admit I'd have been a hot mess that would make Okafor look highly polished in comparison.

Okafor will be fine.  He's intelligent enough to know he needs to watch himself and get after it on the court.  He's got everything that's needed to be an outstanding inside presence on the offensive end, and his defense is better than what is often claimed.  A little work on defensive positioning and reaction and he's set.  Bigs like Okafor aren't going to disappear from basketball.  He'll have a good long career, but somewhere other than Philadelphia.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:46 pm

UPDATE:

http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/27/former-no-3-pick-jahlil-okafor-is-out-of-the-rotation-for-the-76ers/

Former No. 3 pick Jahlil Okafor is out of the rotation for the 76ers

By: Bryan Kalbrosky | October 27, 2017

Philadelphia 76ers big man Jahlil Okafor is currently out of the playing rotation for the team, according to head coach Brett Brown.

Okafor, 21, has lost significant playing time because veteran Amir Johnson is now the backup center for the team. Joel Embiid, who signed a huge contract extension to remain with Philadelphia, has a minute restriction but is still the starter for the Sixers.

Even though he was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, Okafor has played just one of four games for his team this year. During that sole appearance, he recorded three personal fouls in less than three minutes.

When Richaun Holmes returns from his injury, he is expected to earn minutes in the frontcourt as well. With that said, will Okafor have any impact or role with the team moving forward? Keith Pompey explained in a recent column (via Philly.com):

“A Sixers squad intent on making the playoffs could find a role for him as a situational backup. Okafor could come off the bench and provide instant offense from the post. Plus, he could be insurance in case Joel Embiid has a setback in his recovery from a meniscus tear in his left knee.”

If the team decides to keep Okafor, they’ll need to find a role for him soon. Otherwise, it may make more sense to trade for whatever value he does have rather than keep him on their bench

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Very interesting situation this kid finds himself in. I bet he wishes that he had never heard the term "small ball".

Kind of difficult to see Okafor's value going up any time soon as the 'ers are not even letting him play any minutes while Holmes is injured. Also, difficult to think that any teams will knock down the 6ers door looking at him as a potential trade addition. Although if the 'ers "give" him away some team will gamble on him being able to improve his defense at least enough to get some time on offense.

On the other side, he is still a very young player so a new team would not necessarily have to teach an "old" dog new tricks.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Jahil is still only 21 years old, yet it sounds like his career is done.

He can score in the post and he can rebound but his inability to step away and shoot the ball is making him obsolete.

A change of scenery may be good for him but it needs to be to a team that will help him develop. The Sixers will end up giving him away like they did Nerlens Noel.

If Jahil was on the Celtics roster he would be out on the court practicing his three point shot.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 am

dboss wrote:Jahil is still only 21 years old, yet it sounds like his career is done.

He can score in the post and he can rebound but his inability to step away and shoot the ball is making him obsolete.

A change of scenery may be good for him but it needs to be to a team that will help him develop.   The Sixers will end up giving him away like they did Nerlens Noel.

If Jahil was on the Celtics roster he would be out on the court practicing his three point shot.

dboss

I wonder what Brad would do with him? Whatever it is, in sure it would be better than what's happening in Philly. And you're right, Sixers will end up giving him away.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 am

he lost some weight this off-season, which is a good sign.

send Philly a 2026 first rounder for him and bring him in under that injury exception you just got, Danny.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:45 pm

Keith Pompey
Keith Pompey
@PompeyOnSixers
Jahlil Okafor's tenure with #Sixers will end following this season. Source confirms the team will not pick up his fourth-year option.
1:09 PM · Oct 31, 2017

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 12 minutes ago
Having $6.3 million option declined doesn't speak well to his value around league. His current $4.99 million salary would fit into C's DPE.

bob
MY NOTE:  Now that his option has been declined he is now an expiring contract, a requirement for using Hayward's DPE.  He's worth a 2nd rounder. No more.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:49 pm

bobheckler wrote:Keith Pompey
Keith Pompey
@PompeyOnSixers
Jahlil Okafor's tenure with #Sixers will end following this season. Source confirms the team will not pick up his fourth-year option.
1:09 PM · Oct 31, 2017

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 12 minutes ago
Having $6.3 million option declined doesn't speak well to his value around league. His current $4.99 million salary would fit into C's DPE.

bob
MY NOTE:  Now that his option has been declined he is now an expiring contract, a requirement for using Hayward's DPE.  He's worth a 2nd rounder.  No more.

That would be cool with me. I have a feeling Brad would find a way to get a lot more out of him. There is some talent there, and the 76ers might actually be the worst team in the league at developing young talent, which is ironic given their obsession with the process.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Celts and Stevens could be best for him

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:06 pm

I would really like to get Okafor for a 2nd round pick. I trust the Celts to bring out the best in every player, and Brad could work wonders with this talented kid. 21 is NOT too old. Plenty of time to learn to grow his game.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:38 am

worcester wrote:I would really like to get Okafor for a 2nd round pick. I trust the Celts to bring out the best in every player, and Brad could work wonders with this talented kid. 21 is NOT too old. Plenty of time to learn to grow his game.

me too, the kid is more talented than Baynes, who we all love, hes obviously got to work on shooting and a lot of things, but at 21 with the right coaching, I'm sure theres a useful player in there.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:13 pm

I do not think that Okafor has any place on the Cs roster if he has to be obtained via the "injury" provision.

He is just not needed enough to give up players and picks as well as lose that roster addition advantage that will be available after players get bought out after the trade deadline.

However, if he is bought out by the 'ers to get him off their roster, Ainge should be the first to call him. Signing him for the vet minimum would be a fine idea as he would do very well in helping our second unit score. I am thoroughly convinced that he will "become" a different player almost immediately after coming under the tutelage of Stevens and staff.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 pm

wideclyde wrote:I do not think that Okafor has any place on the Cs roster if he has to be obtained via the "injury" provision.

He is just not needed enough to give up players and picks as well as lose that roster addition advantage that will be available after players get bought out after the trade deadline.

However, if he is bought out by the 'ers to get him off their roster, Ainge should be the first to call him.  Signing him for the vet minimum would be a fine idea as he would do very well in helping our second unit score.  I am thoroughly convinced that he will "become" a different player almost immediately after coming under the tutelage of Stevens and staff.

Clyde,

The Celtics do not NEED to give up players to get Okafor.  They have the $8.4M DPE to do the salary matching and, with only 14 players under contract, they don't need to move someone to open up the roster spot.  Would Philly give him up just for salary relief?  Maybe, maybe not.  That's where the 2nd round pick comes in, they get something for him plus salary relief and an open roster slot they can fill with whomever they want.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Sixers would love to get something for him.

How many teams out there have an open roster spot?

I think Boston should target him.  If Al or Aaron were to get injured it would alter the dynamic of the team.

If anyone can find use for  21 year old 7 footer and former Duke player Brad can

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm

dboss wrote:Sixers would love to get something for him.

How many teams out there have an open roster spot?

I think Boston should target him.  If Al or Aaron were to get injured it would alter the dynamic of the team.

If anyone can find use for  21 year old 7 footer and former Duke player Brad can

Dboss

good point dboss, at this point were Duke Uptown as we have some of their best alumni, Kyrie and Jason would help him get adjusted and motivated....I gotta think Stevens would do wonders with this kid.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:19 pm

He'd do well with us. Not sure if Sixers would trade him to us. Might need them to buy him bought out or the Sixers desperate to move him. The sooner he is elsewhere the better. With Philadelphia, he's just wasting time.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:23 pm

I wonder just how series the problem is - that would cause management to sour on a player that at age 20 averaged 30 minutes per game, shot.508 from 2 point range, averaged 7 rebounds per game and averaged 17.5 points per game?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Signing or trading by beginning of December, whoever we add with exception could be flipped in a trade by the trade deadline. Could get us salary necessary to pick up a star without having to give up depth for match purposes (Anthony Davis).

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:40 pm

swish wrote:  I wonder just how series the problem is - that would cause management to sour on a player that at age 20 averaged 30 minutes per game, shot.508 from 2 point range, averaged 7 rebounds per game and averaged 17.5 points per game?

swish
Short answer Swish..... it's the 76'ers.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:42 pm

beat wrote:
swish wrote:  I wonder just how series the problem is - that would cause management to sour on a player that at age 20 averaged 30 minutes per game, shot.508 from 2 point range, averaged 7 rebounds per game and averaged 17.5 points per game?

swish

beat

Yup. Sixers not willing to put in the effort to put a productive, talented but flawed young talent in the right position to succeed.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:46 pm

KyleCleric wrote:Signing or trading by beginning of December, whoever we add with exception could be flipped in a trade by the trade deadline. Could get us salary necessary to pick up a star without having to give up depth for match purposes (Anthony Davis).

Interesting point. I didn't realize that.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:58 pm

beat wrote:

swish

beat

Logical conclusion beat - but will there be some surprises ahead.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next