Kid N' Play ain't gonna hurt nobody: Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown interview...each other?

Go down

Kid N' Play ain't gonna hurt nobody: Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown interview...each other? Empty Kid N' Play ain't gonna hurt nobody: Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown interview...each other?

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 pm

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/14/jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown-interview-improper-bostonian-boston-celtics/

Kid N' Play ain't gonna hurt nobody: Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown interview...each other?

By: Jared Weiss | 2 hours ago 

Kid ‘n Play are back at it again.

In the latest issue of The Improper Bostonian, the Boston Celtics’ dynamic young duo Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum sat down for a one-on-one interview, with each other.

Brown and Tatum flexed their journalistic muscle for a hard-hittinginterview that covered everything from favorite movie to whether Charles Barkley is a good commentator to the mystery behind Jaylen’s middle name. It was an entertaining conversation, where nearly every discussion ended with “[Both laugh].”

A few of the highlights, starting with Jayson Tatum’s adorable entrance to the NBA.

Brown: What was draft night like for you?

Tatum: Draft night was the day all my dreams came true. It was the best night of my life, just hearing your name called and having your dream come true.

Brown: That’s cute. Really cute. [Both laugh.]

Tatum may be young, but he’s still an Eddie Murphy fan. Albeit of his post-prime work, depending on who you ask.

Brown: Favorite movie?
Tatum: Life.
Brown: Life. That’s a good movie, man.
Tatum: You know about Life?
Brown: Yeah.
Tatum: You know, you kinda look like Bernie Mac. [Both laugh.]

Jaylen handed down some life lessons to the much younger Tatum, who is 495 days Brown’s junior. When asked for his most recently read book, with a few subtle digs at the “Cal-Berkeley guy” Tatum answered Pound the Stone by Joshua Medcalf. Always searching for inspiration, Brown has frequently read motivational books such as these.

“Hit the stone 99 times and nothing happens,” Brown told Tatum. “Hit it the 100th time and it finally splits in half. Perseverance. Something you should try.”

When Brown asked Tatum who he felt were the veteran leaders on the team, Tatum showed just how badly he needs that veteran education.

Tatum: Hmm. It’s tough. We’ve got a great group of guys. Kyrie [Irving], Al Horford. Even Marcus Morris. I’d say those three are the top three veterans on the team. How many years have you played?
Brown: Only one more than you. [Both laugh.]
Like any serious relationship, everything centers around one person being annoyed the other won’t text them back. Like any serious conversation, they’re usually overblowing it.
Tatum: You never text me back. That’s the problem in our relationship. You text me back about two-and-a-half hours later.
Brown: That’s not true. I texted you like 30 minutes ago.
Tatum: OK, I appreciate that.

It was no surprise that when Tatum asked Brown which player he admired the most growing up, they fought over who gets to claim Kobe. But the real debate was whether Brown could claim Tracy McGrady too. They both decided not to fight over whether Charles Barkley was a better analyst than Jalen Rose, but they bickered over the semantics of this one.

Tatum: NBA player you admired the most growing up?
Brown: Kobe Bryant.
Tatum: That’s my answer. You can’t choose it.
Brown: I think we think alike.
Tatum: But I’ve heard you say Tracy McGrady before.
Brown: Kobe and T-Mac are my two.
Tatum: I always stay the same. I always say Kobe.
Brown: For me it was the both of them. I can’t have two players I admire?
Tatum: It’s favorite player. Singular.
Brown: I can’t choose between the two.
Tatum: You have to.
Brown: I have to? [Both laugh.] If I had to choose? Hmm, I couldn’t.
Tatum: But listen, you have to. It’s player.
Brown: OK, who’s your favorite, your mom or your dad? You have to choose.
Tatum: My mom. [Both laugh.]
Brown: OK, next question.

Finding a nick name for the already iconic duo has been a challenge. They waltzed into 7/11 out in Vegas when Tatum took #11 early on. But he changed to 0 when Avery Bradley was traded and apparently there are no convenience stores called 0/11. Author’s note: “Siri: Remind me tomorrow at 8 AM to file trademark for retail businesses named 0/11.”

Since then, they have embraced Kid ‘n Play and Jaywatch among a few others, but Brown didn’t care about the great void left behind.

“I was a little indifferent about it. At first, because I was zero in college, I thought that I should be able to be zero, but they said the 7 jersey was selling too much. And they came up with some B.S. story to let you get it because you’re a princess. [Laughs.] So I let you get zero. I was like, you know what, “’He’s a good guy: Let him have it.'”

One of the most interesting tidbits came when Jayson asked Jaylen for his middle name. Brown held off as long as he could, before finally hinting it was a boxer and started with an “M.” Tatum guessed Muhammad, which was technically incorrect.

“Close. It’s Marselles. Cassius Marcellus Clay.”

Suddenly, everything about Jaylen Brown’s unique and introspective personality makes sense.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down