What's the "correct" punishment for the UCLA trio?

+4
Sandpd
wideclyde
bobheckler
beat
8 posters

Go down

What's the "correct" punishment for the UCLA trio? Empty What's the "correct" punishment for the UCLA trio?

Post by beat Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Not sure if a poll is needed or warranted for this. As there could be so many answers. ( if someone wants to alter this into a poll please go ahead)

We have a bunch of opinionated people on here and just wonder what they think should happen if you could make the call.

Also would like to hear what you think what WILL happen.

For me at least a 10 game suspension seems fair enough.

I doubt UCLA does anything more than 3.

Thoughts?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

What's the "correct" punishment for the UCLA trio? Empty Re: What's the "correct" punishment for the UCLA trio?

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:22 pm

They broke the law.  The law they broke, shoplifting, is the law in every jurisdiction, everywhere on Earth, and it always has been since Hammurabi.  So there can be no argument about ignorance due to cultural differences.  The fact that they spent almost no time in jail because President Trump was able to quickly secure their release doesn't change that.

What would happen to them if they got caught doing that in Reseda, or Encino, or Santa Monica?  To answer this question I'd like to know the answer to that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What's the "correct" punishment for the UCLA trio? Empty Re: What's the "correct" punishment for the UCLA trio?

Post by wideclyde Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm

These three idiots should still be in China sweating out their future, but it looks like they will get off with very little punishment. Weren't the first thoughts dealing with 3-10 years? Even 10 games will be far easier than some years in a Chinese prison for three American basketball players.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Molly McGrath @MollyAMcGrath

about 17 minutes ago

UCLA Coach Steve Alford says LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill, and Cody Riley are suspended indefinitely for shoplifting incident in China.
reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 pm

I'd say a 5 game suspension with other penalties, such as community service, would probably be just and fair. It seems that the media headlines always refer to them as "Ball and two other players." Any greater amount of game suspensions might be construed to be attributed to the notoriety of the Ball family name and not so much about the three players' crime committed collectively. The suspensions are meant to punish the offending players, not the rest of the team. I would think that they still need to make amends and retributions with the authorities in China, so they're not out of the woods yet.

The other question will be, which opponent's school fans will be the first to don sunglasses in the stands?
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Will we ever find out what the actual offense(s) were? I read that there were three stores involved. I have read about sunglasses. I have read that China has very little crime because there are video cameras everywhere and they come down hard on every offense.

Can anyone provide a link to an article that reviews the totality of the crimes? Without any idea of the scope of the issue, it is hard to quantify the punishment.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:41 pm

gyso wrote:Will we ever find out what the actual offense(s) were?  I read that there were three stores involved.  I have read about sunglasses.  I have read that China has very little crime because there are video cameras everywhere and they come down hard on every offense.

Can anyone provide a link to an article that reviews the totality of the crimes?  Without any idea of the scope of the issue, it is hard to quantify the punishment.

gyso

This incident seems to be muddled with international political intercessions as T-Rump got involved. I'm not sure if it answers your questions, but in part, this LA Times article says: "It is important to note that the players were freed without charges being filed in China. Yet indications are that something happened, and it wasn’t good."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-basketball-plaschke-20171114-story.html

Even though the players have publicly admitted their guilt, a lot of uncertainty still lingers as to what will be the final outcome. So, we're all premature in assessing what should be the penalty when the dust has not yet settled. Whatever is said about criminal penalties before there is a final outcome is just speculated opinion.

I had previously said that I thought a 5 game suspension would be fair, but after reading this article and the penalty suspension issued to the UCLA football players caught stealing were, I'd be ok with whatever more severe penalties might be handed down. I just feel bad for the other players on the team.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Sandpd your quote............

I just feel bad for the other players on the team.

I listened to the Ball's "apology" that he read from a prepared statement.  Seems a bit lacking with emotion to me.  
But that said in regards to others on his team NOT involved.  

All I can think of is that Kicker lining up a very makeable FG to win the game.  ( think Scott Norwood wide right) A kicker usually has only 1 football skill, to kick the football long and straight.

And when they miss that FG the entire team suffers the loss.

This is not only a lesson for these 3 but the other 12 or so players on that team.  What they do matters, not some of the time ALL THE TIME.  

No one felt worse than Norwood did after that Superbowl loss that could have and perhaps should have been a win.  I just didn't feel nearly the same regret in the video of the Ball kid.  Perhaps things are just sinking in. Perhaps not.

Life can be cruel by itself no need to add to it by stupidity.

Although there is no criminal charge now, in the court of public opinion some significant penalty needs to occur and is being determined at this time.  The other players might be better in the long run because of this as hopefully these 3 will be too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 pm

It certainly didn't help LaVar move towards achieving his goal of having all 3 of his sons play for the Lakers...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

3 years making NBA sneakers in a Chinese Prison Labor camp
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:3 years making NBA sneakers in a Chinese Prison Labor camp

at 10 cents an hour

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Double secret probation.

Or strip them of their scholarships and ban them from any sports related activities at the college for 5 years.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm

beat wrote:
mulcogiseng wrote:3 years making NBA sneakers in a Chinese Prison Labor camp

at 10 cents an hour

beat

Beat,

Why should they get paid more than the rest of the criminals?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:34 pm

I am not sure what the punishment should.

I think they should all be suspended (which they were) and should complete some type of counselling to get at the root cause of their misdeed.

These are dumb ass kids who will need to make sacrifices to redeem their tarnished character.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm

beat wrote:Sandpd your quote............

I just feel bad for the other players on the team.

I listened to the Ball's "apology" that he read from a prepared statement.  Seems a bit lacking with emotion to me.  
But that said in regards to others on his team NOT involved.  

All I can think of is that Kicker lining up a very makeable FG to win the game.  ( think Scott Norwood wide right) A kicker usually has only 1 football skill, to kick the football long and straight.

And when they miss that FG the entire team suffers the loss.

This is not only a lesson for these 3 but the other 12 or so players on that team.  What they do matters, not some of the time ALL THE TIME.  

No one felt worse than Norwood did after that Superbowl loss that could have and perhaps should have been a win.  I just didn't feel nearly the same regret in the video of the Ball kid.  Perhaps things are just sinking in. Perhaps not.

Life can be cruel by itself no need to add to it by stupidity.

Although there is no criminal charge now, in the court of public opinion some significant penalty needs to occur and is being determined at this time.  The other players might be better in the long run because of this as hopefully these 3 will be too.

beat

Beat,

I think I understand your point, but this isn't quite the same thing. The three players' illicit actions were committed off-court when they were on their own and had nothing to do with playing basketball or the team. I don't see where the after-effect of their off-court misconduct correlates with a missed FG attempt in a football game. Likewise, if we want to correlate when a player misses his last second shot to win or lose a basketball game and he misses, yes, the whole team suffers in the loss and the whole team was involved with the play . . . the breaks of the game.

My point is that the other players are not culpable for the non-team related misconduct of those three thieves, yet they also suffer the consequences. I'm not advocating for minimizing the punishment for the sake of the other players, I just feel bad that through no fault of their own, those other players are adversely affected. As the saying goes, "I am not my brother's keeper." But as you said, life is cruel . . . and also unfair at times. FYI, I had said in my post to gyso, when after reading how UCLA dealt with their offending football players, I'd be amendable to whatever the punishment is that will be handed down.

BTW, enjoy the big game tomorrow! : Basketball
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down