Kevin Durant praises Boston Celtics youngsters: Jaylen Brown has 'taken the next step,' Jayson Tatum's efficiency 'unheard of' for rookie

Go down

Kevin Durant praises Boston Celtics youngsters: Jaylen Brown has 'taken the next step,' Jayson Tatum's efficiency 'unheard of' for rookie Empty Kevin Durant praises Boston Celtics youngsters: Jaylen Brown has 'taken the next step,' Jayson Tatum's efficiency 'unheard of' for rookie

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/11/kevin_durant_praises_boston_ce.html

Kevin Durant praises Boston Celtics youngsters: Jaylen Brown has 'taken the next step,' Jayson Tatum's efficiency 'unheard of' for rookie

Updated 3:09 PM;
Posted 3:10 PM

By Jay King mjking@masslive.com

BOSTON -- With a smile, Jayson Tatum confirmed what everybody watching at home already knew about defending Kevin Durant.

"It was tough," Tatum said.

The deadpan delivery made it clear the Boston Celtics rookie could have gushed more about his opponent, the former MVP. Few players in NBA history have combined Durant's size, athleticism and skill level.

"He's taller than 6-9," Tatum said, using Durant's listed height. "That's what I was thinking."

What was Durant thinking throughout the matchup? Well, maybe that the Celtics have selected a pair of good ones during the last two drafts. Years ago, the superstar saw Tatum and Jaylen Brown when they competed at his camp. They impressed him with their skill level then and have grown quickly into winning NBA players. One of the biggest surprises in Boston has been Tatum and Brown's readiness to contribute to the league's hottest team.

"Environment means a lot in this game," Durant said earlier this week before falling to the Celtics on Thursday night, 92-88. "I know we're professionals and you feel like professionals are supposed to adapt anywhere because we get paid a lot. But environment is -- we're talking about pure basketball skill and winning -- being in a great environment every day impacts winning, a coach that teaches you every day. Those guys are getting taught, you can tell."

Brown showed off his improvement against the Warriors, leading the Celtics out of big holes twice. Tatum had a quieter night, but still managed to score seven fourth-quarter points, including two free throws to ice Boston's 14th straight win.

"Jaylen Brown has taken the next step," Durant said. "He's exactly where he needs to be in his second year in the league. And Tatum's another guy who's playing efficient basketball. For a rookie, that's kind of unheard of. So I think it comes from just a combination of skill, confidence, but also a great environment, a winning environment that preaches always being a sponge, always soaking up information, trying to get better. You see every guy from top to bottom doing that. And that's the type of team we have. That's what they have. And I think that's why so many people enjoy watching both teams play."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down