Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down

2 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down Empty Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 pm

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/19/jayson-tatum-dunks-highlights-atlanta-hawks-boston-celtics/

Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down

Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down Usatsi_10423710

By: Jared Weiss | 4 minutes ago 

There’s been a quiet evolution from Jayson Tatum so far this year. Each game he has looked more comfortable and consistent, quietly blending in to the system.

Then he loudly exploded in Atlanta.

Tatum was a different level of potent Saturday, attacking the rim with a novel sense of aggressiveness and conviction as he found open space and flew through it.

[ltr]https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/932069950201778177[/ltr]

Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down UMfI-umT_normalRob Perez 

✔️@World_Wide_Wob

[ltr]Jayson Tatum vs. the entire city of Atlanta. Man.[/ltr]

6:16 PM - Nov 18, 2017

2,010 people are talking about this

[ltr]
https://twitter.com/GuyBostonSports/status/932070751657775104[/ltr]

Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down KUzuQeso_normalGuy Boston Sports @GuyBostonSports

[ltr]Jayson Tatum attacks the rim for an AND ONE#Celtics[/ltr]

6:19 PM - Nov 18, 2017

See the conversation on Twitter

The potential he holds with his capability to evolve so rapidly is daunting. The passion he showed after throwing it down was a warning to the league that this rookie beast is opening his eyes to his potential.

“That’s rare for him,” Marcus Smart said to reporters in Atlanta of Tatum screaming at the bench after throwing it down. “He doesn’t usually do that.”

Tatum has been good shooting from the corner and great attacking closeouts when the ball is swung his way. But he hasn’t had a ton of opportunity to show how he can dominate at the rim. The half court consistency in penetrating all the way is coming, but he made it clear that he is ready to become unstoppable in transition.

The Usain Bolt type speed off the defensive rebound in that first play was something almost unseen from him. But his ability to step around the charge with the hesitation move was a huge development for him. He has committed plenty of offensive fouls this season, as players have read his drives to the rim with ease and caught him committing to the drive.

He is learning from his mistakes quickly, which is a major problem for everyone coming in to face the Celtics that thinks they know a few ways to bait him into making more mistakes.

The intensity Tatum displayed sparked another big comeback and is perhaps the only reason the Celtics are still on their 15-game winning streak. Describing his impressive plays is one thing. Visualizing his impact tells the entire story.

[ltr]
View image on Twitter
Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down DO9pictX4AA9PdA[/ltr]

Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down MKGYcA5D_normalJared Weiss 

✔️@JaredWeissNBA

[ltr]35 points allowed for Boston in the first. 64 after that. League’s best defense got it together eventually.[/ltr]

6:54 PM - Nov 18, 2017

See the conversation on Twitter

bob
MY NOTE:  My excitement in the pre-season was predicated upon the additions of Hayward and Irving and believing, incorrectly as it turns out, that Jayson Tatum would have the opportunity to ease into the NBA.  When Hayward went down 5 minutes into the season my expectations plummeted.  It wasn't just the loss of All-Star Gordon Hayward, it was that I wasn't, quite frankly, expecting Tatum to be this good this fast.  He might have the fastest learning curves for any rookie I've seen not named Johnson, Bird or Jordan.  Not even Kobe was this good his first year (Kobe only averaged 15.5mpg and 7.6ppg on 41.7% shooting, 37.5% from 3 in his rookie year.  Tatum is shooting 49.4% and 47.9% from 3).  I'm not saying Tatum is going to be another Kobe based upon a 17 game career, a comment like that would warrant an adjustment in my meds, but coming straight out of the gate?  He's more than holding his own.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down Empty Re: Jayson Tatum is learning from his mistakes and throwing it down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Simmons is probably going to win rookie of the year.  I wish the NBA would stop giving a mulligan to players who were actually rookies the previous year and did not play.  Simmons has had a chance to work on his body and his game while Tatum was playing at Duke.

I have watched all of the top rookies play multiple times.  Other than Simmons, Tatum has been most impactful followed by Kyle Kuzma out in LA.  Kuzma however is 22 years old and Tatum is still a teenager.  Thus far Tatum is clearly the best player that was drafted and Danny got another 1st rounder in the deal.  Fultz would have to become the next Chris Paul for this trade to remotely be considered to be a good deal for Philly.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down