mrkleen09
wideclyde
mulcogiseng
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
Phil Pressey
12 posters

Go down

Who is Jaylen Brown? Empty Who is Jaylen Brown?

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 pm

The great thing about Youtube and the internet in general is that there is easy access to stuff in which to check our ideas. One game I said perhaps Jaylen is the new Bernard King. I had googled and saw they were the same height. Rosalie remembered King as too muscular for the comparison. I only remember King as a scoring menace. He could not be stopped. Jaylen showed signs of that last year and this year he has smoothly transitioned to credible starter and potential all-star. He is putting up good numbers and they feel a lot more consistent than similar points provided by Jeff Green.

Since it is Thanksgiving, I can't help but think of Reggie Lewis. He was a great guy who gave out free turkey dinners to the poor.

I have found a compilation tape of him. Perhaps Jaylen Brown is the new Reggie Lewis. Reggie was about the same height with a skinny build. Perhaps as Jaylen puts on strength, he will need to be compared to someone else.

You know someone has great potential when they are already being compared to historic greats.

I think I nailed it. Brown is sort of very similar to Lewis.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Who is Jaylen Brown? Empty Re: Who is Jaylen Brown?

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:00 pm

It's the same player, imho. This seems too easy a pick and someone must have beaten me to comparing Jaylen to Reggie.

Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Sometimes in life you forget just how terrific a player was. That was Reggie. God knows what would have been if he and Bias had played together. Sad to even think of it.
Possibly comparing Jaylen to Reggie is good. It is just that Jaylen has so much athletic ability, those power dunks he puts down are something else. Reggie used his skills in a little different way, never really looking for the crowd to oo and ah.
But, they were/are muti talented players. The best is
yet to come with Jaylen. His defensive skills are just
beginning to be shown.

It is an interesting thought, though. Comparing the two. I can't wait to watch Jaylen develop even more. As for Reggie, it was one of the saddest days in the history of the Boston Celtics when we lost him. Gone much too soon. I can only dream of what he would have become
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks for the response. Maybe it is tied into the debate of whether the legends of yesterday would still be the same players today.

Bird, McHale and Parish were considered big for their day? They look like string beans compared to guys such as Brandon Bass and Aaron Baynes.

Jaylen looks much bigger this year. I remember Olynyk coming back much bigger after getting tossed around like a rag doll.

Smart has changed his body.

I agree with you Reggie Lewis had a unique humble yet inner confident attitude. He seemed to be well on his way to becoming a consistent all-star. I did think of Bias also. That was so awful losing two guys so young.

I guess enough time has passed when we might be able to say what if. Back then it seemed offensive and rude to think of their deaths in terms of the Celtics.

The circumstances behind their demises were also miserable. Maybe Reggie would still be alive if he had not found one doctor to tell him what he wanted to hear. Bias died from one night of drugs?

I see similar moves by Jaylen as with Reggie. Same use of the body. People compare Tatum to Pierce, but I don't think it's even close. His arms are too long. Tatum is a big. I don't see him playing much shooting guard if at all. And Paul wasn't playing power forward.

I can see how Tatum shoots from outside or can drive in like Pierce.

Morris reminds me of Pierce as an outside shooter without the option of driving in as Truth did.

I got into Reggie a bit with Northeastern. I used to like Boston College. UMASS had a great year or two, of course then they lost it all due to a scandal.

One reason I wanted Noel was because he also had a Boston connection. We spited Ewing for leaving New England.

Kyrie Irving's dad is in the Boston University Hall of Fame. So when I heard Cav fans warning us he'd be gone in a couple years, I kind of didn't believe it.

I think Kyrie is happy with his decision because he landed in the perfect spot. Cleveland was crazy to make such a dangerous trade to their immediate contender. They are waiting on Isaiah and the draft pick. They have a raw center in Zizic to go with Jae Crowder. We have Kyrie and an outrageous 17-3 won-loss record.

I wanted Isaiah to become more like Tiny Archibald for Danny to resign him. I wanted more of the whole package, not just points but more assists to further offset his little guy status on defense.

Horford got ten assists and most of them in the first quarter.

I suppose Tatum emerging is the big story, but there are a lot of other parts that are turning out well. I don't look at this as a bridge year anymore.

Some of us get annoyed with Marcus' shooting, but he's built like a tank and reliable.

It seems to be coming down to health and stamina.

If the guys playing now are healthy and fresh for the playoffs, then why not us?

The Celtics have what few teams have. They've got chemistry and a good setting for people to grow as players.

If Brown and Tatum were on scrub teams, they'd be piling up more stats but not necessarily evolving into better players.

There is something very cynical about most other teams and then there are some who do it right, but they can't seem to compete with bigger markets. Perhaps Toronto.

The long winning streak had me forgetting there are nine new players and that Brad Stevens' teams always get better within seasons. It's hard to improve from 16-2. Stevens said it was a mirage or used different words. He probably won't admit it, but he probably didn't feel as bad as us for the Miami loss.

Now the real work truly begins.

I will definitely accept some losses if players can stay healthy and then a lot of things will become second nature to them. It's kind of a leap of faith, but the results have been spectacular. Whether Danny is a genius or lucky or a mix of both, this could be the greatest rebuild of all time. Yet, I shouldn't say much more for fear of jinxing the team.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:21 pm

I remember Reggie as being a much more accomplished offensive player than Jaylen.

I'm not sure there has ever been a Celtic like Jaylen Brown.  A 6'7", 230# guard?!  Uber-athletic?!  Shooting 41.5% from 3?!  Defends like Avery Bradley?!  Put all that together he's got everything.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Just wondering how long it will be before we hear someone say, "This kid could be another Jaylen Brown". Because I can almost guarantee it will happen.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:01 pm

And, as good as Jaylen Brown has been so far this year he is only going to get better and better for about the next six or seven seasons.  He loves to work and knows that he has far from peaked as of yet.

Great athlete, great kid and it will actually be difficult to determine yet how good he will end up being as a pro basketball player.

Very glad that he is on our team.

Last edited by wideclyde on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:19 pm

I remember when the Celtics drafted John Havlicek. No one ever thought that he would become the player he did. He developed his shot, ran, and ran and ran, and ran. His lungs were huge. He was smart also, knew how to make the most of the time he had on the court those first couple of years. Why guys are afraid of becoming a sixth man is beyond me. Some of the greatest Celtics were sixth men first. Ramsey stayed that way his whole career, and boy was he great.
Havlicek was a breed all his own as far as I am concerned. That is why I balk at people who try to claim that this guy or that guy is another John Havlicek.

Jaylen Brown is going to be one of those players who keeps getting better and better. With his smarts, he will learn to stay within the confines of the game and make the most of every one of his possessions. He is lucky to have Brad Stevens as his coach, he knows just what to do with him.

Tatum, I can't see the Pierce resemblance, I think he is longer all over. His first step is unbelievable. He will make the same strides in one year that Brown has made. They will both make Danny look like a genius.

It is so much fun to watch the development of these young guys. Last night, Rozier joined the club. I hope he continues, because he can bring so much to this club. These guys will make us forget about Avery, which is a big statement to make. I loved that kid, but these kids are on their way earlier than AB took to develop.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 pm

IMO Jaylen is much more athletic and much stronger than Reggie Lewis, but was much more polished when he hit the NBA. Lewis played at Dunbar (on a team with Muggsy Bogues, Reggie Williams and David Wingate) and then spent 4 years at Northeastern.

In the long run, I think Jaylen has potential to be even better than Lewis - but that will take him years and a lot of hard work, as we may forget that Reggie Lewis has his number in the rafters and is in the Basketball HOF
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Mrkleen Reggie is in the Basketball HOF in Springfield?

I didn’t know that.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:24 am

Oobobc33 wrote:Mrkleen Reggie is in the Basketball HOF in Springfield?

I didn’t know that.
Lewis is NOT in the HOF.   

Looked at the list of players just now and he is not listed.

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/all/

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Beat is right - very poorly written entry in Wikipedia confused me. Now I see that second half was in reference to Easy Ed being in the HOF.

His #35 jersey was retired by the Celtics as a memorial to him, making him one of only two Celtics to have a retired number without winning a championship. The other was Ed Macauley, who did win a championship with the St. Louis Hawks in 1958 and is a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:55 pm

I think some who come to the Garden and see Reggie's number up in the rafters just assume he is in the hall. The gesture of the Celtics organization to put his number up there shows the devotion the Celtics nation hold certain players in reverence . His death was a tragedy, but he had not yet reached the status of even being considered for the HOF. A wonderful young man with talent oozing from his pores who was taken too soon. Sad, but Bostonians are the ones who still refer to him as a huge superstar. We do love our guys
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Looks like you nailed it with the Brown/Lewis comparison to me.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Harvard Education‏Verified account 

[ltr]@hgse[/ltr]

FollowFollow 

[ltr]@hgse[/ltr]

More
Harvard Education Retweeted Kevin Boehm
Lots of excitement from students about your thoughts on education —and the possibility of visiting us, @FCHWPO. Any chance we can connect on a more formal plan to potentially have you speak at Harvard this semester?
Harvard Education added,

Jaylen Brown @FCHWPO

about 39 minutes ago

Absolutely !! twitter.com/hgse/status/95…
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Love.  This.  Kid. (except for his frito shooting).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:50 pm

I see no comparison between the two other than their height.

I do not even want to think about Reggie and Len.  It breaks my heart.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:02 pm

I see nothing to even think about comparing these two. Jaylen is a power player. Reggie was more finesse.

Dboss, you are right, I cannot stand the thought of thinking of them both, much too sad.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 2 hours ago
Brown gets a vegan question: "The only thing that's stopping me from being a vegan is ice cream."

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Kyrie is a vegetarian too.  Remember when everyone freaked when Bill Walton was a vegetarian? They thought it was just him being a Grateful Dead hippie type.  Jaylen is an ice cream cone away from Veganism.  Times change and paradigms fall.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 am

I haven't eaten red meat or pork since 1975. I haven't eaten chicken or fish since 1978. I try the vegan ice creams every once in awhile and they ain't bad and improving all the time. But they ain't Haagen Dazs neither. Same goes for veggie cheese. I'd sooner Cabot Xtra Sharp thank you much.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 am

mulcogiseng wrote:I haven't eaten red meat or pork since 1975. I haven't eaten chicken or fish since 1978. I try the vegan ice creams every once in awhile and they ain't bad and improving all the time. But they ain't Haagen Dazs neither. Same goes for veggie cheese. I'd sooner Cabot Xtra Sharp thank you much.

mulcogi,

LOTS of people are vegetarians, they just usually aren't professional athletes. It flies in the face of the general opinion of where protein comes from (Americans are very uneducated regarding nutrition). The assumption is that protein is primarily meat-sourced.

1 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked) = 7 gms protein. 3.5 oz = 24.5 gms protein
3.5 oz lentils (boiled) = 9 gms protein
7 oz (1 cup) soybeans = 28 gms protein

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

I was considering going vegan.

Then I learned bacon wasn't a vegetable.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:58 am

My daughter has been a vegetarian for the most part for the last 25 years of her life, she is 45. She eats some chicken, alot of fish, no red meat or pork to speak of, and vege's and beans. She is one of the healthiest people I know. She teaches yoga, is a wellness coach, (which means she also eats no sugar or bread), and is so active I can hardly keep up with her. So I am sure these athletes who go on these diets have investigated what they should eat and what will give them the energy they need to compete at this high level. I see no issues here at all. Everyone is much more educated today on what is good and bad for them. Look at Tom Brady!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 pm

NYCelt wrote:I was considering going vegan.

For me, it's seafood. So someone please tell me, why did I move away from Maine?

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 pm

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I was considering going vegan.

For me, it's seafood.  So someone please tell me, why did I move away from Maine?

Not for the shellfish.

Do you get anything in from the Atlantic coast down there? Tuna, bluefish?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down