jrleftfoot
dboss
swish
wideclyde
mulcogiseng
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Celtics’ Terry Rozier: ‘I know I’ll be a starter in this league’ Empty Celtics’ Terry Rozier: ‘I know I’ll be a starter in this league’

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:03 pm

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/12/08/celtics-terry-rozier-i-know-ill-be-a-starter-in-this-league/

Celtics’ Terry Rozier: ‘I know I’ll be a starter in this league’

By Dan FeldmanDec 8, 2017, 11:00 PM EST

Celtics point guard Terry Rozier has spent his first few seasons in the NBA backing up Isaiah Thomas then Kyrie Irving and establishing a trade value that has become a running joke.

But Rozier has bigger goals.

Rozier, via NBC Sports Boston:

I know, in the future, I want to be a starter. I’m going to be a starter. I came in. I played after Isaiah Thomas, and I’m playing after Kyrie now, and that’s the only reason I don’t start. That’s how I’m looking at it. But I know I’ll be a starter in this league.

There’s a fine line between a player driven by ambition and one who isn’t willing to accept his role. I’m not sure where Rozier falls.

The Celtics should try to figure it out. Rozier will be eligible for a contract extension next summer, so it might actually be time to deal him before the trade deadline.

A team might bet on Rozier as its starting point guard. It won’t be Boston, which has placed its fate in Irving’s hands, but someone could.

Rozier has looked much better as a 3-point shooter this year, and he his defense is solid. He’s thriving as a reserve in a way that might not carry over into the starting lineup. Rozier’s poor finishing and limited distributing could become bigger problems in a larger role.

The 23-year-old must decide what lengths he’ll go to in order to test that. Consequently, the Celtics must decide how they’ll handle it if he presses to start sooner than later.

bob
MY NOTE:  Danny read this and just started dialing-for-dollars.  Did TRo not learn anything from the Rondo trade?  Did he not learn that you don't publicly dare Danny to "match up"?  Somewhere, in Maine, Kadeem Allen is working furiously on his jumpshot...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Terry Rozier: ‘I know I’ll be a starter in this league’ Empty Re: Celtics’ Terry Rozier: ‘I know I’ll be a starter in this league’

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 pm

"Hurry up and back up that Brinks truck, I've got a game to start."
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Terry Rozier: ‘I know I’ll be a starter in this league’ Empty Re: Celtics’ Terry Rozier: ‘I know I’ll be a starter in this league’

Post by wideclyde Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Nothing wrong with a young guy like Rozier having the goal to become a starter in his own league.

And, as long as he continues to improve and produce in his current role, I am sure that neither Ainge nor
Stevens have even a bit of concern either.

I would rather have all of my younger players to have aspirations above and beyond their current spots/roles than have them happy just picking up their checks every couple of weeks.

So far, he has not done or said anything to cause concern for the team so perhaps he has learned from Rondo and Thomas. If he takes his case to free agency and signs somewhere else for increased responsibility and salary--good for him. We'll see what happens, but right now I like him on our team.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:38 pm

More than likely my exact thoughts if I was in his sneakers- being held back by the best could be an understandable response.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:42 pm

wideclyde wrote:Nothing wrong with a young guy like Rozier having the goal to become a starter in his own league.

And, as long as he continues to improve and produce in his current role, I am sure that neither Ainge nor

I would rather have all of my younger players to have aspirations above and beyond their current spots/roles than have them happy just picking up their checks every couple of weeks.

So far, he has not done or said anything to cause concern for the team so perhaps he has learned from Rondo and Thomas.  If he takes his case to free agency and signs somewhere else for increased responsibility and salary--good for him.  We'll see what happens, but right now I like him on our team.
+1. Why would fans criticize Terry for wanting to be a starter one day?.  I like his ambition and Danny is not on the phone looking to move him at least not for a year or 2.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Why wouldn`t he want, and expect , to be a starter?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:37 pm

No news here. Rozier expressed his true feelings.

I think he's right, and, right or wrong, I'd be concerned if he didn't feel this way.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:15 am

A guy that doesn't have the drive to fit that role is someone that may not have what it takes.

With that said, there is a subtle nuance between a having a desire to be a starter and not knowing one's role. Rozier understands his role on this team, I believe.

If anything, I think Marcus Smart has the right mindset. He's a competitor, and if he's needed to start or come off the bench, he will. And regardless of the circumstances of his playing time, he's always going full speed ahead. Also, he plays a lot of minutes for someone that comes off the bench.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm

With this comment, he is admitting that he knows he will probably not be here for any length of time. Who does he think he is going to take over for? Kyrie?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Human beings, unless seriously damaged, tend not to embrace subservience. A guy expresses his desire to succeed and it becomes controversial?  SMDH
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:21 pm

Why is that controversial? I am just stating that with the backcourt for
The Celtics who is going to come off the bench? What is wrong with being an excellent backup?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:25 pm

dboss wrote:
wideclyde wrote:Nothing wrong with a young guy like Rozier having the goal to become a starter in his own league.

So far, he has not done or said anything to cause concern for the team so perhaps he has learned from Rondo and Thomas.  If he takes his case to free agency and signs somewhere else for increased responsibility and salary--good for him.  We'll see what happens, but right now I like him on our team.
+1. Why would fans criticize Terry for wanting to be a starter one day?.  I like his ambition and Danny is not on the phone looking to move him at least not for a year or 2.  

Dboss

+2. Big difference between him saying he has the potential to be a starter and him saying he thinks he should start over one of the best players in the league.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down