mulcogiseng
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

POST GAME DENVER - HOME Empty POST GAME DENVER - HOME

Post by 112288 Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Celtics score season-high points in 124-118 win over Nuggets

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By A. Sherrod Blakely December 13, 2017 9:52 PM

BOSTON – The news of the day for the Boston Celtics involved Gordon Hayward whose left ankle injury is clearly getting better.

The same can be said for the Celtics’ offense which seemed to score in bunches most of the night in their 124-118 win over the Denver Nuggets.

The 124 points scored were a season-high for Boston (24-6), which was coming off a 23-point loss at Chicago on Monday night – their worst loss of the season.

But after losing the first two games to start the season, Boston’s other four losses have each been followed up immediately by a win.

And Wednesday’s game against hot-shooting Nuggets (15-13) was no exception.

Kyrie Irving led Boston with 33 points while Jaylen Brown (26 points) and Aron Baynes (17 points) also had big games for the Celtics. Off the Celtics bench, Shane Larkin had 14 points on 6-for-6 shooting.

For the Nuggets, Gary Harris was a major problem for Boston as he finished with 36 points on 16-for-25 shooting. Harris’ backcourt mate Jamal Murray (28 points) also had a big game for Denver whose six-game road trip ends with a 2-4 record.

The final score was indicative of how this game was played out most of the night.

Boston found itself on the short end of an 11-3 run in the third quarter that brought the Nuggets within 83-81, only for Irving to give the Celtics a little breathing room with a turn-around jumper.

The Nuggets would eventually tie the game at 85 on a put-back basket from Harris.

By now, Boston was on the short end of a 15-5 run, so who do they turn to for a basket?

Baynes of course!

Baynes, well aware the Celtics would need more of a lift offensively from him with Al Horford (rest) out for the game, drained a jumper that was soon followed by a 3-pointer from Brown and a 3-point play by Jayson Tatum as part of a 12-7 spurt by Boston which gave them a 97-92 lead going into the fourth.

Tatum, coming off his worst game scoring (4 points) as a pro, bounced back with 15 points on 6-for-9 shooting.

Both teams shot the ball well at the start of the game, evident by the first quarter ending with the Nuggets ahead 31-30.

But the Celtics’ defense, even without their defensive leader Al Horford, found their defensive stride with a slew of stops.

After falling behind 33-30 early in the second, Boston responded with a 17-7 run capped off by a Larkin 3-pointer to put the Celtics ahead 50-40.

Denver responded with a 5-0 spurt which led to Brad Stevens calling a timeout with 5:43 to play.

Out of the timeout, Boston got a 3-point play from Baynes and a goal-tended basket from Jaylen Brown to make it a 10-point game again.

Boston continued to control the action in the first half which ended with the Celtics leading 68-59.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Celtics Wrap: Boston Outlasts Hot-Shooting Nuggets In 124-118 Victory

NESN by Joshua Schrock on Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:53PM

It wasn’t pretty but we doubt the Boston Celtics care. Two days after getting blown out by the Chicago Bulls, the C’s responded by outdueling the Denver Nuggets in a 124-118 shootout at TD Garden. Boston’s defense, which was without lynchpin Al Horford who sat out for rest, gave up a number of easy looks to the shorthanded Nuggets.

Denver shot 50 percent from the floor, but the Celtics hit on 59.5 percent of their shots and Kyrie Irving scored 33 points to hold off the young Nuggets. Jaylen Brown (26 points), Aron Baynes (17 points), Jayson Tatum (15 points) and Shane Larkin (14 points) all scored in double figures in the win. The Celtics improved to 24-6 with the win, while the Nuggets fell to 15-13. Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE PG: Kyrie Irving SG: Marcus Smart SF: Jaylen Brown PF: Jayson Tatum C; Aron Baynes

TIRED NUGGETS? Despite playing their sixth in nine days, the Nuggets hit their first six shots of the game to take a 14-8 lead, causing Brad Stevens to take an early timeout. Boston responded with a 22-14 run to take a two-point lead late in the first quarter, but Denver closed the stanza with three free throws to hold a 31-30 edge heading into the second period. J.L.T The two squads continued to be locked in a tight contest in the second quarter. Brown, Tatum and Larkin opened the game by going a combined 10-for-10 from the floor to give the C’s a 55-45 edge midway through the quarter. Denver chipped away at the lead in the final five minutes of the frame, but Irving and Brown were able to keep them at arm’s length, helping Boston take a 68-59 lead into the break. The C’s scored 38 points in the second quarter, their highest-scoring quarter of the season. Irving led the C’s with 15 points, while Brown added 13 and Baynes chipped in with 12. Garry Harris led the Nuggets with 15 points of his own.

DENVER HANGS AROUND Boston was unable to put the Nuggets away in the third quarter. Denver went on an 11-2 run midway through the frame to tie the game at 85, but Brown, as he had done all night, knocked down a huge 3-pointer to stem the tide. Brown’s trey was followed shortly thereafter by an old-fashioned three-point play from Tatum to give Boston a six-point edge. The C’s maintained their advantage for the remainder of the third, taking a 97-92 lead into the final frame.

FINISHING TOUCHES The Celtics opened the fourth quarter on a 9-2 run thanks to Larkin and Tatum. Denver got the first bucket of the fourth, but Larkin drilled a 3-pointer and Tatum followed with a silky pull-up J of his own. Larkin knocked down a deuce on the next trip, and two Daniel Theis free throws gave Boston a 12-point lead. Denver cut the lead to six with under a minute to play thanks to a career-high 32 points from Harris, but Brown drilled a 3-pointer with 43 seconds left to seal the win.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE GAME Don’t hurt them, Jaylen.

UP NEXT Boston takes the floor again Friday when they host the Utah Jazz. Tip-off from TD Garden is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME DENVER - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME DENVER - HOME

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am

Harris and Murray were the Denver Nuggets yesterday.  Part of that is because Jokic was out but so was Horford and Morris.  Harris with a career high 36 points.  Boy, did he play well.  People were saying that the Harris contract (4 years, $84M.  $21M/year) set the market for Avery Bradley's negotiation this summer.  If that's the case then we could not have afforded Bradley.  I would have liked to see Jokic play, but not without Horford.

We weren't just the Irving and Brown show.  Irving was Irving, but Brown really stepped up.  I don't know if 26 is Jaylen's career high, but it's really good.  9-12, even 4-5 from the line.  He didn't stop Gary Harris, but he put his own numbers up.  But past Irving and Brown we had other contributors.  For a change, and distinct relief, our bench out played and outscored somebody else's.

Baynes with a great 1st quarter and had a really good game.  What a great off-season pickup by Danny.  He's a bull down low and has a nice, reliable mid-range game too.  Defensively he's a brick wall.  I can't remember the last time I've seen offensive players drive into the lane and literally bounce backwards when contact is made like the way the do when they meet Mr. Baynes.

But the game ball, for me, has to go to Shane Larkin.  We had to offset the loss of Horford in the middle and of Morris scoring off the bench.  Baynes did a good job with helping us get past Horford resting but who was going to score off of our offensively-challenged bench?  If Shane keeps playing like this we can expect to hear a lot of old Western jokes from Tommy this year.  14 points on 6-6.  Can't ask for more than that in 18 minutes.  3 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists and zero turnovers.  Larkin has had a total of 5 turnovers all year, against 20 assists.  3 of those turnovers were in October.  The last time Larkin had a turnover was against Detroit a few games ago but before that it was November 10th.  226 minutes, 5 turnovers.  That is remarkable for a player who doesn't get off the bench much.  I mean, think of it, that's 1 turnover every 45 minutes.  I realize that playing 45 minutes and having 1 TO isn't the same as playing 45 minutes in 9 five minute stints, but there's an edge to that blade on both sides.  It's almost impossible to play 45 minutes and only have only 1 TO, but it's also very hard for a player to sit for most of the game, every game and come in for a short five minutes or so cold as ice and not make a mistake with the ball.  Before we get all giddy and talk about how Larkin is making Rozier trade bait (which he might be anyway because, well, Danny is Danny) Larkin is shooting 35.6% on the season and 34.5% from 3.  Larkin had a great game, he has a couple of great games for us this year but that's not the same thing as having a great season.  I do, however, think that Larkin has identified and solidified his role in his mind and in Brad's and, therefore, his place in the rotation.    

Smart was 1-6 but had 9 assists and only 1 TO.  He struggled to defend the Denver back court as well but he made Smart plays and is a point guard where it is looking more and more like Irving is not really one.  Irving had 7 assists last night and 3 TO but doesn't look comfortable running an offense.  He is as comfortable as anybody in the league being the offense but he doesn't look to me like a natural distributor.  This is where I'd like to see Rozier and/or Larkin step up, but I don't think they are point guards neither.  Rozier is a younger Avery Bradley and Larkin is a mini-IT (by that I mean he's undersized and is a score-first player).

They shot 49.5% last night.  They started out 6-6.  What happened to our vaunted defense?

One positive from this game is that we had 18 fast break points to only 8 for them.  It has been a while since we outran someone, despite our much-talked about youth program.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975158

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 am

Star of the Game: Kyrie
Starz of the game: The Kidz
Contributions of Continental Proportions: Australia
Game Ball: Alan Ladd
Dynamic Duo: Harris and Murray
Most Liked: DT
Season Rank: Tie for 2nd

It was nice watching a shoot out game. Fast paced, both teams playing good Offense. Loved Mike's Alan Ladd reference!

Kyrie is sick when he is healthy.

Brad had a better game tonight. He just might work out. Wink

There was one play last night that really made an impression. Marcus was holding the ball trying to figure out what to do. Kyrie streaked to the basket, Smart made the good pass, Kyrie scored. That is a key for the future. When the ball stops moving and the players aren't either, the Celtics don't play well. Ball and player movement is key to this offense. Run Baby Run

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:18 am

Nice bounce back - without a couple of key contributors.

Couple of things that came to mind while I was watching:

*Kyrie is a beast and this was such a good deal by DA.
*Baynes is a great addition as well. Very underrated big man.
*Larkin is a consummate professional who will pay dividends in a big spot down the stretch.
*Theis is another really good signing - well worth drafting him last year and stashing him.

Last thing was related to Terry Rozier saying he should be a starter in the NBA. All I kept thinking last night was, yeah Terry - maybe on the Nets. He has all kinds of upside but desperately needs to improve his consistency. Same with Smart to be honest. These two guys both might find their way out of here sooner than later if they cannot rise to the occasion on a more regular basis.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Although Brown shot his free throws well last evening (5 out of 6)  was wondering because he shot so well from the field including several 15-18 footers if he has ever considered shooting foul shots ala Hal Greer in the 60's.  

Greer shot his jumper for fouls shots and over his 15 year career was an 80% foul shooter ( and 81% in the playoffs)

And if I remember correctly he did not shoot them straight away but over to the right somewhat.

this is the only video I could find of Greer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjUNarh_vI

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:41 pm

really need a longer clip. I love that song lol

Mr. Kleen, u really need to start checking your posts for facts, you are making a lot of mistakes lately. Theis was not drafted and he wasn't stashed. He is German born and played in the Bundesliga in Germany for the past few years where he is a 3 times champion and DPOY. He was signed as an undrafted free agent.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Kyrie is definitely a shooting guard or combo guard at best. There is really no pure pg on the team. The league has changed so much in a very short time frame seeing that top teams no longer rely on the Rondo's, the traditional assist guys.

I think Horford and Kyrie are co-team MVP's.

Al does so much. Without Horford, the C's would need to find another Rondo. They beat Denver for all the various reasons mentioned. I think the most important one was Smart's nine assists. Someone has to keep the offense flowing.

I think Smart was 1-5 at the half. Sorry if my memory is off. If true, he only took one shot in the second half. He is no longer putting up disastrous 3-14 shooting nights. He looked much more focused with the ball.

It seemed Rozier had a miserable game from the eye test, but his stats look good. So I am not sure what is up with his game.

A few of us on the game thread were very disappointed in his running out the clock at the end of a quarter rather than throwing the hail mary. I recall another play later on when he was lost on D and Denver got an easy three point corner shot. He was soon on the bench perhaps for that lapse.

I like how Brad shortened the rotation to nine players. An appearance by Yabusele or Nader could have lost that game or made it much more difficult. I am not giving up on them, but they are not ready. Nader might be the Development League star who can't transfer it to the NBA. Yabusele is simply too raw to predict how he will evolve.

It seems Brad is now giving players scheduled rest rather than that there is an injury bug. I hope so. The playoffs are the only time the banged up need to grin and play through issues.

The best part of last night's win might be that yet again the C's have not lose two in a row since the first couple games. It means Danny doesn't have to panic and make a quick move to at least fill the one open roster slot. It's said don't take the first available apartment unless it's great. Look around, see what all the options are.

Houston never loses lately. Golden State is also piling up wins. It doesn't seem worth it to try to match them. If it happens, it happens. But the most important thing for the C's is to keep improving. The conference lead over Cleveland is still at three and two in the loss column.

The schedule doesn't look too daunting for the next big patch of games. Scheduled rest for star players is a good idea even if there might be some extra losses due to that strategy. Horford is not a spring chicken, but a healthy Al in the playoffs gives the C's a great opportunity to steal a title this year.

This could be his pure prime years in which experience and the peak of his youth have merged into one. He is a few years younger than Pierce and those guys were in 2008. I think he has two or three years left of greatness then he will start the inevitable decline.

Some felt the Horford contract was bad because no way would he be worth the money in the last couple years. After this year, he is down to two more years. With his rejuvenation, the contract appears to line up perfectly.

If the team is going without point guards, as even Larkin is more shooting guard than point guard, Horford's role as a distributor piling up assists with few turnovers is a crucial factor.

It obviously helps that Tatum and Brown have made huge leaps. They are going to become close to perfect for offense. They can shoot or bully their way to the hoop. They have been trained as team players. That is the uniqueness of Danny's rebuild. Good teams are not supposed to get so many top draft picks.

Those types of players usually end up on bad teams and develop big egos and bad habits.

If the Marcus Smart of last night can be the one most often on the court, there is no reason to assume this is a bridge year but rather we are in the hunt for #18.

Kyrie is an amazing weapon. He is the current Paul Pierce, a form of truth.

A guy like that with Horford means the Celtics can beat anyone in the playoffs including Cleveland and Golden State. It will be interesting to see what Danny does over the next couple months. There's no way he can do nothing. This year's edition is too good to not make at least a few small brush up moves during the Silly Season.

Hopefully Danny won't shoot mosquito flaws in the rotation with a bazooka. But one never knows. Ainge can be diabolical. Twisted Evil

Trading Perk for Green. Whatever he was thinking with a trade proposal to Michael Jordan. Trading Isaiah, Crowder and Bradley.

I don't see how he can trade Smart or Baynes and still give this team a chance to win it all right now. So Rozier comes to mind. Then I start thinking Smart is coming back no matter what and hopefully also Baynes.

Maybe all the team needs is one more playoff capable big. I love Theis, Baynes and Al, and Morris if he's healthy, but that is where the vulnerability still appears to reside.

Marcus Smart must focus on his point guard skills. What he did last night was spectacular, imho. I think he had five assists and no turnovers at half time. He needs to fill the Evan Turner role. Larkin is a potential form of spark plug, too. I was ready to give up on him. But maybe it's just sheer truth that the team is new. They will probably still be climbing towards the ceiling into the Spring. Horford allows the Celtics to compete at the highest level because he is piling up assists as a center. He might be the true team MVP because of defense. He is nearly irreplaceable on both sides. Losing Kyrie would be a crushing blow, but his points could potentially be replaced by the phenoms and he is not a traditional pg anyway.

Maybe Irving can add that over the next couple years. LeBron must have stunted his growth as a ball distributor. Irving was a genius to ask out of Cleveland. He was lucky it was Boston and Boston was lucky to get him. It will be fascinating to watch Kyrie's development as he is still only 25. The team we root for is sooooooooooo young and stacked! #18 seems a matter of when, not if. As a Celtic fan, I feel bloated. But, there are still lots of things to smooth out with crucial moves and decisions to make. It's crazy good how good everything is going.

What I've been noticing the last several games is that protecting the ball, keeping it moving, setting up teammates, making the right decisions as a team may carry them to glory this year. I hope the somewhat easy schedule coming up will result in of course wins, but that the nice trends continue with the rotation finally settling in.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:really need a longer clip. I love that song lol

Mr. Kleen, u really need to start checking your posts for facts, you are making a lot of mistakes lately. Theis was not drafted and he wasn't stashed. He is German born and played in the Bundesliga in Germany for the past few years where he is a 3 times champion and DPOY. He was signed as an undrafted free agent.

Mulcogiseng -

I know who Theis is. I work for PUMA and our headquarters is 50km from Bamberg - I watched him play vs Bayern two years ago.

I mistakenly thought he was drafted by the Celtics and left in Europe an extra year (like Gershone), but thanks for your concern. I will be sure to fact check my posts with you going forward. Smile
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
mulcogiseng wrote:really need a longer clip. I love that song lol

Mulcogiseng -

I know who Theis is.  I work for PUMA and our headquarters is 50km from Bamberg - I watched him play vs Bayern two years ago.

I mistakenly thought he was drafted by the Celtics and left in Europe an extra year (like Gershone), but thanks for your concern.  I will be sure to fact check my posts with you going forward. Smile

Mr. Kleen

Cool, it actually comes at a good time for me schedule wise. I'll have plenty of time to check your facts for you. Be advised that I will be having that eye surgery we talked about Friday week. Smile
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Seems like those first 30 flew by.

There is still much room for improvement but I have to remind myself that 3 rookies have carved out some space in the rotation.  I have to remember that Kyrie and Baynes are new to the team and that Boston is winning without an all-star who played but 5 minutes.

By any evaluation this team has far exceeded my expectations.  

The Celtics have avoided any slumps so far.  I would bet that they produce at least two more winning streaks at the 8-9 games level.  

The key is the bench and their ability to maintain a high level of play at both ends.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:32 am

I remember back in the mid 80's Kevin McHale said something like we KNEW we were going to win most nights and all we needed to do was just walk on the floor. Yep they were that good.

We are far from there yet.  Very far. Yet our record back then on December 15, 1985 was 20-4 including the win on that day over the Bulls.

Right after that, that CHAMPIONSHIP team lost 3 out of the next 4.  Yet right after that they reeled of 13 straight.

Hard to compare eras and teams yet we all consistently do that.
I my opinion and as many of you have said we have vastly exceeded expectations even considering the Hayward injury. And I also agree with that.  

Still thinking 60 is the ceiling. That 86 team "only" won 67...... and are we within 7 wins of that team? Doubt it.

East is still a handful of wins better than the west at this ( I think by 7)  and of course most of our games will be in the east also. 

Regardless we are what our record says we are and it sure has been fun to watch.  

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down