The "Curse" of playing for Brad Stevens

+2
atcross
wideclyde
6 posters

Go down

The "Curse" of playing for Brad Stevens Empty The "Curse" of playing for Brad Stevens

Post by wideclyde Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Watching guys get traded today makes me think that if you played (in Boston) for Brad Stevens that the time you spent with Brad
may be the highlight years of your NBA career.

The list of names keeps growing and growing.  Today this list was further filled with Thomas and Crowder while there are other names
on it already.

I am sure that Coach Stevens is a big part of why guys want to come to Boston these days, but there may be a curse on them after they leave
the Cs as well.  Why does this list continue to grow, and how many more guys will find their names on this list in the future?

For my money, there is not a better coach than Stevens and his staff in the league in being able to get the max out of players.  Ainge should sign
him up for more years immediately.

Note to guys like Baynes, Smart and Monroe ---- better really take a really good look around before leaving the Cs if the money is
anywhere near equal when they get offers from other teams this summer.  I would hate to see their names added to the "Curse" list.

Last edited by wideclyde on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

The "Curse" of playing for Brad Stevens Empty Re: The "Curse" of playing for Brad Stevens

Post by atcross Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

I have to think that other GMs are starting to see a pattern. Player X is really Player X-Y unless Stevens is included. Unfortunately this will reduce DA's ability to wheel and deal. But as you say players currently on the team will want to consider where their career goes post-Stevens.

atcross

Back to top Go down

The "Curse" of playing for Brad Stevens Empty Re: The "Curse" of playing for Brad Stevens

Post by KyleCleric Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:38 pm

GMs shouldn't be looking at the player as the problem. If Stevens can get the most out of players during those years where the Cs talent was questioned so should their coach. It's a coaching problem, not a player problem.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Stevens got what he could out of Larkin and Ojeleye. He's been pulling off stuff like that since he got here. Humphries wasn't a problem. Bass improved.

I do find it hard to slot Smart into this theory, however. I think Smart is hurt by the team's emphasis on shooting threes. I don't know why he is so stubborn and doesn't cut back. Evan Turner did. Some players should be coached to shoot less.

Smart and Monroe are the new wild cards. If they play well, the roster is stacked and no one can debate it. Larkin and Ojeleye become the 11th and 12th players. Then possibly Hayward miraculously returns making the Celtics very powerful 1-11 with better than average scrubs in the 12-15 slots.

Brad is great. I think Brad plus Danny is the perfect combination for coach/GM. They are on the same page.

I think Brad didn't want too many more moves because he now has enough to work with. Danny did a good job. The C's needed a big and to fortify the end of the rotation. He did it.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:50 am

I was thinking the same thing when Thomas and Crowder were both moved yesterday.

Before coming here, Thomas was a gunslinger scorer, who couldn't play defense. Traded to Cleveland, he is back to that (and became a locker room cancer there). I wonder if anywhere in his mind, Thomas now regrets all those "brink trunks" comments now.

Crowder was a bench player who played some defense before he came here. Now is the back to that, perhaps he will get a chance to start at Utah, we'll see.

A. Bradley worked hard and became the second best player here, has been traded twice, like both players above this year. There was even rumors the Clippers were trying to move him again before the deadline.

E. Turner came here and resurrected his career as a six man, got a big contract during the one year cap bump and has been not heard of since.

Sullinger was a starter under Stevens and is now playing in China, enough said.

Jordan Crawford looked like he had resurrected his career for a half season under Brad, he's bounced around the world since with some end of bench playing time in the NAB in between

There are many other bench players who have played above their talent under Brad also, like Phil Pressey, V. Faverani, etc.

at this point it is obvious, we are lucky as Celtic fans
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 am

One of the options to get Hayward under contract was a sign and trade with Utah, using Crowder. That didn't happen, but ironically that is where Crowder eventually ended up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down