Simple stats making Brad Stevens look overrated

4 posters

Go down

Simple stats making Brad Stevens look overrated Empty Simple stats making Brad Stevens look overrated

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

This is from Sean Grande:

Celtics when Baynes plays 22:30 or more: 15-0
Celtics when Baynes plays 20:00 or more: 22-3
Celtics when Baynes plays under 20:00: 18-15

Some of us have wanted more Baynes and have been complaining about it all season.

Usually if something isn't broke, you don't fix it.

I admit that critiquing Brad Stevens for anything is risky.

Popovich made a brutal mistake in the Finals one year. He is considered the best. At least once he took a lot of heat for a coaching decision.

I am curious about Brad Stevens' system. Players are not moving around so much as the season continues. Guys are standing in the corners waiting to shoot threes.

Think of Marcus Smart. What if he didn't take so many three pointers or at least waited until he's in a groove and feeling it?

Is a painting of Antoine Walker on Brad's office wall? I think 'Toine said the only reason he shoots a lot of threes is because there are no four pointers.

I don't necessarily mind the three point strategy, but where are plans B, C and D?

A predictable offense is an easy offense to defend?

Is part of Smart's issues on offense due to the team philosophy? He's stopped developing his passing, post ups, mid range junpers, the floaters, basically the shots he is best at. When Smart was putting up assists with few turnovers, his shooting didn't seem too big of an issue.

I want more Baynes and Monroe and less Morris. I want less three point shooting and a more diversified attack on offense. If Stevens can't adjust and is going to be stubborn, then Danny needs to be proactive and get extremely lucky to find exact players built for Brad's specific rigid system. Baynes may have never had a real chance to become a top player in the rotation. Brad seems too fixated on pairing Marcus Morris with Horford.

I think Al needs to be the power forward with Baynes/Monroe for the center tandem. I'm thinking of the dynamic between Perk and KG. Horford as center with tweener Morris at PF is not working. If Morris wasn't such a ball hog, I'd probably be more patient. He just doesn't pass my eye test for team play. He is extremely selfish. Smart's misses are often times better than Morris' hits because at least the shorter Marcus is playing team ball and especially on defense.

The Celtics have done well the last several years when the total team effort adds up to more than individual parts. I like what Baynes and Theis add to the total, rather than Morris.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Simple stats making Brad Stevens look overrated Empty Re: Simple stats making Brad Stevens look overrated

Post by worcester Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Baynes has the highest defensive rating inn the entire NBA.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Simple stats making Brad Stevens look overrated Empty Re: Simple stats making Brad Stevens look overrated

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 am

I can’t stand Morris’s game, if his outside shot is not falling, he gives you nothing, he can’t run, can’t finish, can’t rebound or block shots and can’t pass or play team ball. I can’t believe he and Semi are getting so many minutes over Monroe and Theis. We should have never gotten rid of Gerald Green, who is thriving in D’Antonio’s system.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am

The biggest piece missing on our team lately is intensity and defensive aggressiveness.  Stevens is still a great coach, but he does not currently have Marcus Smart to fully stir up the entire team.

This year's team did not win every game before Smart got hurt, but they played much harder and were much more physically and mentally activated in just about every game he played.

His leadership probably cannot be fully detailed in writing and it will never be able to show up as a statistic, but there is no question that he brings "it" for our team.  The backwards move in the Cs intensity that has happened lately was all the more reason not to trade him at the deadline and to re-sign him next summer.

For all the guys who want Smart off the Cs due to his shooting woes, these last couple of weeks shows that he is just "one of those guys" that each team needs to be good heading toward the top. If you have played you well remember how your team played less effectively when this type of guy is not available. If you have coached you remember crying when this guy graduated from your team.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Marcus Smart is fascinating to watch. It is hard to critique someone too much who puts in the kind of effort he does on defense. He is no KG, but Smart's intensity reminds me of Garnett.

The issue with Smart is his contract and how he has regressed. He is still an NBA player for the next ten or so years. I think people including me definitely complain about his knucklehead play on offense. But I don't think anyone here is saying definitely don't bring him back. Morris is another story. I've seen enough. I don't like his game. I only root for him out of obligation.

If Danny loses Smart, he will need to replace him. Rozier looks good, but the team will still need a fourth rotation guard. I am letting next year be next year. The trading deadline is over. I am looking forward to Marcus Smart's next game as a clean slate.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down