Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves Empty Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:54 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/03/boston_celtics_analysis_marcus_4.html

Boston Celtics analysis: Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves

Updated 12:57 AM; Posted 12:45 AM

Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves Marcus-smart-a0520c6ccca91d07
Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart (36) dribbles during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game in Boston, Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

By Jay King mjking@masslive.com

Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart routinely collects incredible hustle plays, but even by his standards unleashed a world of gritty showmanship Thursday night.

Smart shot just 2 for 7, but controlled a long stretch of the first half and continued helping the Celtics throughout their 117-109 victory against the Minnesota Timberwolves. The 6-foot-4 guard laid out for a pair of hell-rattling dives, stonewalled big man Taj Gibson in the post, casually picked Andrew Wiggins' pocket with a double team, and even held his own when switched onto All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns. Towns didn't really try to attack Smart, but even that lack of aggressiveness could be viewed as evidence of Smart's menacing night.

More evidence: this dunk.

https://twitter.com/_/status/971927600082792448

Check out Kyrie Irving's reaction. He has rarely been happier.

But so many of Smart's highlights come in a different form. So many of them involve accruing floor burns, manhandling taller men, or flying through the air to track down loose balls.

Check out this play, which began with Irving switching onto Gibson in the post. Noticing the disadvantageous situation, Smart slid over to take over the matchup, then stood strong against Gibson on the low block:

[?] SMART'S A POWER FORWARD

https://t.co/4WPrTWdQPl

-- #Mickstape (@ColeyMick) March 9, 2018

The most impressive part about the stop: the Celtics declined to give Smart any help. He rotated over to guard someone five inches taller on the low block, and Boston had the utmost trust Smart could handle the matchup all by himself. And he could. It wasn't a surprise because he has frustrated dozens of big men over the years, but that's not normal for a guard (if we can put a position on Smart).

The Celtics weren't shy about switching Smart on Timberwolves power forwards and centers, and the Timberwolves -- even Towns -- didn't make him pay. A couple of times, Towns didn't even make a move to the basket when Smart was on him.

Smart broke up so much of what the Timberwolves wanted to do. According to NBA.com, he recorded four deflections in addition to his two steals and one offensive foul drawn. He looked like a centerfielder trying to dive for a steal here:

Taylor Snow
✔️
@taylorcsnow
I feel like we need to start a running tally on Marcus Smart's cobra strikes.

https://twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/971946395799314432
7:10 PM - Mar 8, 2018
70 people are talking about this

He made another all-out dive after this loose ball, though he couldn't quite hold onto the possession:

https://twitter.com/_/status/972004340687765505

And he timed this play perfectly to snatch Wiggins' dribble away:

Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves Giphy

According to NBA.com, the Celtics surrendered 96.8 points per 100 possessions during Smart's 33 minutes of playing time compared to an ugly 137.6 points per 100 possessions during 15 minutes with Smart on the bench. That discrepancy wasn't entirely due to Smart, of course, but he carried plenty of weight for his team.

Add in the 0-for-4 3-point shooting and it was a classic Smart performance. He'll still pull some excessively ambitious shots from time to time and, on some nights, his inability to score will be frustrating. But the guard has played some utterly helpful basketball since returning after the All-Star break from an injured right hand. It's worth marveling when he posts a totally mediocre stat line (in this case, nine points, six assists, 2-for-7 shooting) but still manages to yank the game in his team's direction.

bob
MY NOTE:  If only he could shoot, he'd be a perennial All-Star and even All-League.  His defense is phenomenal, he makes more winning plays than almost anybody else in the league and he's a good point guard (although, admittedly, not great).  Listen to Reggie Miller chortle after he slams Tatum's miss back.  Listen to Reggie again on his defense on Taj Gibson.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves Empty Re: Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves

Post by dboss Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 pm

This is why a choice between him and Rozier is a tough one.  I think they should do everything they can to lock them up for a few years.  

Time for ownership to step up and pay the tax.  That has to happen to win for an extended period.  But knowing Danny he may see either of them as a solid trade piece.

Back to Smart...Multiple great plays.  He was everywhere.  Him and Terry have turned into a formidable duo off the bench and each has starting level talent.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves Empty Re: Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves

Post by KyleCleric Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 pm

We might luck out in the offseason with Smart. Seems unlikely that a team will give him a Hardaway type deal. Could mean he's back under the qualifying offer or even under a multi year deal that's closer to the mid level. I'd like them both on the team long term but don't want either blocking us from extending Kyrie, Brown or Tatum.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:16 pm

KyleCleric wrote:We might luck out in the offseason with Smart. Seems unlikely that a team will give him a Hardaway type deal. Could mean he's back under the qualifying offer or even under a multi year deal that's closer to the mid level. I'd like them both on the team long term but don't want either blocking us from extending Kyrie, Brown or Tatum.
By the time Brown is coming up Horford deal will be ending.  Keep Smart and deal with Terry next year.

Danny has a nice collection of staggered contracts.

When they extend Kyrie they will pay a hefty tax.  As long as this team contends I say you pay the money
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:04 pm

dboss wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:We might luck out in the offseason with Smart. Seems unlikely that a team will give him a Hardaway type deal. Could mean he's back under the qualifying offer or even under a multi year deal that's closer to the mid level. I'd like them both on the team long term but don't want either blocking us from extending Kyrie, Brown or Tatum.
By the time Brown is coming up Horford deal will be ending.  Keep Smart and deal with Terry next year.

Danny has a nice collection of staggered contracts.

When they extend Kyrie they will pay a hefty tax.  As long as this team contends I say you pay the money

+1

Agreed, as dazzling and talented as Kyrie is, he has never been the most durable....Rozier and Smart add so much fight to the 2nd unit, especially as of late, our new bench has been great....do anything you can to keep them.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:48 pm

I would not be so sure that there will not be teams ready to throw some money at Smart. He is a game changer, period. The other night he was out of this world fantastic on defense and lousy on offense, even his free throws were off. But, there are teams who are looking for a guy like him. This is going to be a bumpy summer. I only hope he comes back to us because his impact on this team is phenomenal.

As you said, IF ONLY HE COULD SHOOT!!! They would be paying him a ton as he would be an all star for sure.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 3 hours ago
Sat down for an interview with @Marcus Smart and after we’re done he just flips into a handstand and then walks on his hands away. pic.twitter.com/0oUm0PHRZQ

reply retweet like

Marcus Smart loaded up on winning plays against the Minnesota Timberwolves DX8zyzwXkAAH2cg?format=jpg

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 pm

IN awesome shape.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I would not be so sure that there will not be teams ready to throw some money at Smart. He is a game changer, period. The other night he was out of this world fantastic on defense and lousy on offense, even his free throws were off.  But, there are teams who are looking for a guy like him.  This is going to be a bumpy summer.  I only hope he comes back to us because his impact on this team is phenomenal.

As you said, IF ONLY HE COULD SHOOT!!!  They would be paying him a ton as he would be an all star for sure.

I believe only 5 teams have CAP space.  Therefore most could only offer mid level.  If they are already a tax paying team the amount of the MLE is reduced.

The Celtics should be able to retain him and do so at a very reasonable price
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:22 am

dboss wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I would not be so sure that there will not be teams ready to throw some money at Smart. He is a game changer, period. The other night he was out of this world fantastic on defense and lousy on offense, even his free throws were off.  But, there are teams who are looking for a guy like him.  This is going to be a bumpy summer.  I only hope he comes back to us because his impact on this team is phenomenal.

As you said, IF ONLY HE COULD SHOOT!!!  They would be paying him a ton as he would be an all star for sure.

I believe only 5 teams have CAP space.  Therefore most could only offer mid level.  If they are already a tax paying team the amount of the MLE is reduced.

I wonder if there is a contending team out there willing to pay him AND doesn’t mind going into luxury tax territory? Think a team like Thunder wouldn’t love pairing him with Westbrook and George?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:30 am

If they keep George, possibly. They would not be looking for offense then, just some good defense. At some point the decision has to be made....is this Celtic team worth paying a
luxury tax to keep together? I wonder when that will be
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:46 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:

I wonder if there is a contending team out there willing to pay him AND doesn’t mind going into luxury tax territory? Think a team like Thunder wouldn’t love pairing him with Westbrook and George?
Cow

Smart is a top 20 FA but with only 5 or so teams bidding, the Celtics should be able to retain him.

In the end, Boston can match any offer if needed to retain him.  If he had some O his market value would be high.  I believe he is the top defensive guard in FA.

OKC could sign him for $12 M  since they will probably lose George but I would think they would spend money on offense not defense.

I think Boston can retain him for the the MLE.  Keep in mind, his assault on a picture frame did not enhance his $$$$
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:53 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:If they keep George, possibly. They would not be looking for offense then, just some good defense.  At some point the decision has to be made....is this Celtic team worth paying a
luxury tax to keep together?  I wonder when that will be
Rosalie

Danny loves Smart.  He resigns.   

He is a core piece.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:If they keep George, possibly. They would not be looking for offense then, just some good defense.  At some point the decision has to be made....is this Celtic team worth paying a
luxury tax to keep together?  I wonder when that will be

As we saw tonite, he’s not just a defensive player and having said that, he sure couldn’t contain Olidipo tonite either....but he definitely makes an impact with this team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:

Cow

Smart is a top 20 FA but with only 5 or so teams bidding, the Celtics should be able to retain him.

In the end, Boston can match any offer if needed to retain him.  If he had some O his market value would be high.  I believe he is the top defensive guard in FA.

OKC could sign him for $12 M  since they will probably lose George but I would think they would spend money on offense not defense.

I think Boston can retain him for the the MLE.  Keep in mind, his assault on a picture frame did not enhance his $$$$

I’ve been noticing George is very inconsistent on offense, can have a 36 point game and a lot of 12 point games too, he’s no Paul Pierce on offense. I don’t think I give him the max if I’m LA, which has 2 young 3’s in Ingram and Kuzma. I think he stays and they try to get rid of Melo, Smart would look great in the backcourt with Westbrook, taking on the star backcourt player defensively, allowing Westbrook to save himself for the offensive end.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:57 pm

All this talk about Marcus Smart being so important to the Cs success warms my heart as this guy proves over and over and over again that he is the heart and soul of our team even if he is not a good shooter (yet?).

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down