beat
mrkleen09
10 posters

Go down

POST GAME TORANTO - HOME Empty POST GAME TORANTO - HOME

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:18 pm

Celtics Wrap: C’s Win Sixth Straight, Beat East-Leading Raptors 110-99

NESN by Logan Mullen on Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 9:56PM

The Boston Celtics made a statement Saturday night. Tasked with the Eastern Conference-leading Toronto Raptors, Boston managed to grind out a 110-99 victory at TD Garden. It was an even affair start to finish, but the Celtics used a late fourth-quarter push to create some needed separation and earn the important win. With the victory, they pull within two games of the conference lead. Marcus Morris led Celtics scorers with 25 points, while four other C’s tallied in double figures. DeMar DeRozan paced the Raptors with 32 points. The Celtics climb to 53-23 with the win, while the Raptors fall to 55-21. Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE PG: Terry Rozier SG: Jayson Tatum SF: Jaylen Brown PF: Al Horford C: Aron Baynes

POINTS GALORE Both teams’ offenses got off to hot starts, with the Raptors finishing the frame ahead 33-31 after a buzzer-beating 3-pointer. It was a tight 12 minutes, with the Raptors holding the biggest advantage of the game at five. The first featured eight lead changes and the two sides being tied six times. The Celtics went 13-for-23 from the field, knocking down all four of their shots from beyond the arc. Aron Baynes and Terry Rozier each had hot hands, scoring 12 and 10 points respectively.

EVENESS CONTINUES While the offenses came back down to Earth a bit in the second quarter, the evenness between the two sides did not, as the C’s went into the break trailing 55-53. Each team had a chance to take control and build a little breathing room, but neither could create any sort of run. There were four lead changes and five ties in the frame, with the Raptors’ biggest lead remaining at five and the C’s at three. But part of the Celtics’ ability to keep pace with Toronto was due to them spreading the scoring out and taking what the Raptors were giving them. That’s best illustrated by Baynes hitting a pair of treys in the half after entering the game 1-for-19 for his career from distance. Baynes and Rozier had a team-high 12 points in the half, while DeRozan had a game-high 13 points.

STILL IN THE BALANCE Toronto opened the biggest lead of the game to that point with a quick surge in the first four minutes of the third, building their lead up to six. The Raptors clearly were overwhelming the Celtics on offense, moving the ball effectively and finishing well around the rim. But the Celtics showed plenty of fight. They chipped away at the lead, ultimately bringing things to a tie at 74 with 4:21 to play in the third. Boston kept that momentum going and used it to build a slight four-point advantage, but a late push by the Raptors resulted in them taking an 84-82 lead into the fourth.

C’S TAKE CONTROL The Celtics took control early in the fourth with an 8-2 run, giving themselves a four-point advantage with 8:46 to play. Just beyond midway in the quarter the Celtics heated up, going on an 8-0 run to lead 102-94 with just under four minutes to play. From there, the Celtics clearly were in the driver’s seat, keeping the Raptors at arm’s reach as they closed out the final minutes and secured the win. There was a quick scare in the fourth quarter, when Rozier landed awkwardly after attempting a layup with 3:54 to play. After a few moments on the ground while visibly in pain, Rozier was up and able to shoot his free throws and continue playing.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE GAME What a feed from Baynes.

UP NEXT The Celtics will hit the road for a Tuesday night matchup against the Milwaukee Bucks. Tip from the BMO Harris Bradley Center is set for 8:00 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME TORANTO - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME TORANTO - HOME

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 am

So much to like about this game. Most of all, I am impressed with their ability to respond to what the other team is bringing and match and exceed them.

Toronto came out physical and controlled that aspect of the game. The Celtics made an adjustment and took what the refs allowed, and become more physical.

The Toronto bench scored 59 points against the Celtics last time in Canada, and Brad took Horford out early so he come bring him back against the bench - Al dominated the bench and created a match up nightmare. He also put a more physical player, Marcus Morris on Miles and Marcus shut him down (more on this later)

Then Brad rolled out a zone defense in the 4th that had Toronto baffled and saw them miss something like 8 shots in a row. Such a great coach. Dwayne Casey is having a great year and Brad makes him look like a JV coach.

Jayson Tatum continued to grow and was outstanding on both ends. Same with Rozier. Love his energy. Couple of times just looked at Fred Van Fleet and basically laughed at him trying to cover him, and EXPLODED to the hoop.

The end of the game also showed me something. The Raptors are believing their own hype and looked like they were incredulous that the Celtics handled them so completely. With less than a minute left, they were aggressively covering and fouling Morris hard - something that Mook is not going to stand for.

I loved the way he responded and love the toughness he bring to this team. I am still shocked that Cow hasnt fully embraced his play and grit, he is the toughest player we have had since KG and Perk left town, and exactly the kind of player they need to add to all the young guys. Mook Morris is a MUCH BETTER player on a consistent basis than Kelly O, not even close in my eyes.

This is such a fun team and they are growing so much night after night. Semi is playing great defense and even driving when the occasion presents itself. Monroe is a beast under the rim, as soon as a few more shots start falling - he will be hard for any second unit to deal with. And even on an off night, Jaylen Brown hit some big shots down the stretch.

Toronto has a tough week - back to back with Cavs and Celtics. Maybe first place isnt out of reach after all. Smile
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:12 am

Just heard a rather incredible stat line

We are 12-8 vs the leagues 8 best records.

Rather impressive no matter how you slice it.

Although we have played short handed for a good chunk of the season appears to be no huge rush to bring anyone back quickly.

beat

Last edited by beat on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:31 am

the zone defense messed with Toronto's head in the fourth.

IMO, that was the reason we won this game. chalk this one up to Brad and the coaching staff.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:53 am

This was the most important win of the season. The Celtics equalled last year's win total with the victory. They also made a bold statement about league parity. Why you may ask? Because the Celtics are so good they had to have all these injuries so the other teams would have a chance. How else do you explain how they could play so well, win so often, against the best teams of the Association? It must be parity. Razz

This game was as even as could be all the way to the end. Lead change after tie game after lead change. Both teams played with heart and each had the opportunity via runs to dominate the other, even if for a short time before the other team did it's thing.

Baynes for three! What? Baynes for another three!! You've got to be kidding me. Two threes after making none all season? Baynes has drunk of the kool aide. and is smiling.

Tatum is learning how to put the team on his shoulders and be fearless about it. He is still so raw. He is going to have to learn how to drive with more control because he has a rep for losing the ball and the refs aren't bailing him out yet.

Temper that temper guys.. How did Al not get a T for that reaction? How could Mook not get tossed for his, and the other, and then the nonstop. LOL Love it. Old School, Fire everyone up. Get the job done.

This TEAM is now officially in playoff mode. Everyone is getting their game together and the TEAM is now playing together at an incredible level. And they can still improve even more.

One more thing about parity. As this season grinds on and the playoffs begin. All thots of parity will dim as Marcus and Kyrie return and Hayward is more present even if he doesn't return. OTOH, making shots on your back?

" I have no interest in COY. For me Dwayne Casey is COY." Way to go Brad, nice move!
Basketball
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:47 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:So much to like about this game.  Most of all, I am impressed with their ability to respond to what the other team is bringing and match and exceed them.

Toronto came out physical and controlled that aspect of the game.  The Celtics made an adjustment and took what the refs allowed, and become more physical.

The Toronto bench scored 59 points against the Celtics last time in Canada, and Brad took Horford out early so he come bring him back against the bench - Al dominated the bench and created a match up nightmare.  He also put a more physical player, Marcus Morris on Miles and Marcus shut him down (more on this later)

Then Brad rolled out a zone defense in the 4th that had Toronto baffled and saw them miss something like 8 shots in a row.  Such a great coach.  Dwayne Casey is having a great year and Brad makes him look like a JV coach.

Jayson Tatum continued to grow and was outstanding on both ends.  Same with Rozier.  Love his energy.  
Couple of times just looked at Fred Van Fleet and basically laughed at him trying to cover him, and EXPLODED
to the hoop.

The end of the game also showed me something.  The Raptors are believing their own hype and looked like
they were incredulous that the Celtics handled them so completely.  With less than a minute left, they were
aggressively covering and fouling Morris hard - something that Mook is not going to stand for.  

I loved the way he responded and love the toughness he bring to this team.  I am still shocked that Cow hasnt fully embraced his play and grit, he is the toughest player we have had since KG and Perk left town, and
exactly the kind of player they need to add to all the young guys.  Mook Morris is a MUCH BETTER player on a consistent basis than Kelly O, not even close in my eyes.

This is such a fun team and they are growing so much night after night.  Semi is playing great defense and
even driving when the occasion presents itself.  Monroe is a beast under the rim, as soon as a few more shots start falling - he will be hard for any second unit to deal with.  And even on an off night, Jaylen Brown hit some big shots down the stretch.
Toronto has a tough week - back to back with Cavs and Celtics.  Maybe first place isnt out of reach after all. Smile

Kleen you must have missed my post games ago on the game on thread when I compared his game to Larry Bird....and I was serious, except for Birds rebounding, passing and underrated driving game, they are identical.
And I agree with you he’s much better than KO, but for some reason KO was so popular to guys like bob heckler, who always defended and praised him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:14 pm

The difference in the last few games was Brad Stevens out coaching the other coach in the 4th quarter. Even with a decimated squad he has us playing like a team greater than the sum of their parts and that 2-3 zone in the 4th is fockin brilliant. That totally throws teams off balance, in the 4th, guys are digging deep, they are more fatigued, then they gotta deal with this? And we have the swarming athletes that can make that zone work on the more fatigued offense....fockin brilliant!!!

What more can I say about how great this team is overcoming odds. Did anyone notice Shane Larkin didn’t even play? He’s really grown on me as a great pest and Mighty Mouse. Tatums game is growing by leaps and bounds, he missed a couple bunnies and didn’t get some calls on drives that he will be getting and he still had such a great game, love the way he cuts without the ball, a staple in the BS offense. Morris has a really reliable iso game that is part Joe Johnson and Larry Bird, there’s things he can’t do, but what he’s good at has really surpassed my expectations. We beat them with them healthy with how many of our pieces out? This team is a bunch of rag tag fighters, they can put past mistakes and missed shots behind them to make the right play at winning time....that’s also instilled by Brad IMHO.

Gotta love this team!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Torornto coverage of the game.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2018/03/31/raptors-fall-to-celtics-in-battle-of-eastern-powerhouses.html

https://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_smiths_sports_blog/2018/04/01/raptors-fall-short-and-need-to-see-the-challenges-ahead.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Brad Stevens is the new Pop.  He's the Basketball Whisperer.  Given our injury situation I would have been very happy to have gone 2-2 in the last road trip.  .500 ball, on the road, is what good teams do and if we could do that as depleted as we were I would have been satisfied.  As we all know, we went 4-0.  Yesterday, a little less depleted but still without Kyrie and Smart and Theis, without Shane Larkin (who has become a real spark plug off the bench) and with Jaylen Brown with a toe that listed him as "questionable" right up to game time, we went out and beat one of the top, and one of the hottest since the All Star Game, teams in the league.  They have the 3rd highest scoring offense in the NBA and the 4th highest eFG%, so they are extremely efficient on the offensive end.  And they are 100% healthy.  A team that fielded 3 rookies, 2 G-league two-way players and a 10-day contract player beat the odds on favorite to come out of the East and did it with a double-digit victory and pulling away.  It really is amazing to see this kids, young kids, thrive on 4th quarter pressure.  Not just handle the pressure, actually come from double-digits down to catch and bury veteran teams in the 4th quarter again and again and again, more than any other team in the league.

Jay King @ByJayKing
3 hours ago
Since Kyrie Irving, Marcus Smart and Daniel Theis last played a game... Marcus Morris: 21.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, 50% FG, 51.4% 3PT Terry Rozier: 18.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.8 assists Jayson Tatum: 17.9 points, 6.2 rebounds, 50.4% FG, 44.4% FG And the Celtics are 7-2.

reply retweet like

Mook came to this team with a reputation for being an above average defender and a solid, albeit not particularly impressive, scorer.  Just goes to show you cannot believe press clippings.  I have been a bit underwhelmed by his defense but boy is he a scorer!  He wanted to start and was having issues with coming off the bench?  He played 35 minutes, coming off the bench, and has to be considered a prime candidate for NBA 6th man.  A great game by Mook, but just one of a string of great games by him.  Nobody should praise Brad more than Mook Morris because he has, once again, figured out how best to make a player look good.

Mark Murphy @Murf56
yesterday
Marcus Morris, ejected with 10.9 seconds left, walked off to adoring cheers. "I think they liked me, but now they’re starting to love me, so I appreciate that.”

reply retweet like

Tatum started out slow.  He had 6 points on 3-7 and 0 assists at halftime.  By the end of the 3rd quarter he had 20 points on 8-13, 2-2 from 3, 4 assists.  That's an 14 point on 5-6, 4 assist quarter.  He's 20 years old.  I don't care what Markelle Fultz ends up being, good luck to him I wish him well, but I don't see any way Fultz can equal Tatum + a high draft pick like Sacto's will be next year.  Danny is a thief and, most importantly and happily, he's our thief.

Rozier with an 8 point 3-6 4th quarter.  Rozzay is a big-game player who is coming into his own.  Who saw this coming when Danny drafted him 16th?  NYCelt is the only one I remember who went on record as saying that was a good pick.  The rest of us were looking around wondering if anybody could understand it.  7 assists for Rozier last night and only 1 TO.  He also had to guard All Star Kyle Lowry for most of the night.  Lowry went 4-13 and had 11 points.  Our 3rd point guard (Irving/Smart/Rozier) outplayed an All Star point guard.

Despite all this stuff I'm gushing over I'm inclined to give the game ball to All of Australia, Aron Baynes.  It's not just because he scored 12 points on 5-10 and that's a lot from him, it's because he forced Dwayne Casey to change his strategy as a result of Baynes killing him from the top of the key and from 3pt line.  He hit a 3 in 2014-2015 with the Spurs and then none until he hit two last night.  That dragged Valanciunas out and opened up the middle.  He also took charges.  I'd hate to be Baynes' sternum, he takes them right between the numbers and stays on his feet a lot of the time.  

With this win the Celtics clinched the #2 playoff spot.  It also moved us to just 2 losses behind the Raptors, and we play them once more.  I don't think we'll catch them but man, what a run!

53 wins.  With 6 games to go we've already matched last year's win total.  We're depleted, but we're not crawling or skidding across the finish line.  We're peaking towards it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975886

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:54 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Kleen you must have missed my post games ago on the game on thread when I compared his game to Larry Bird....and I was serious, except for Birds rebounding, passing and underrated driving game, they are identical.
And I agree with you he’s much better than KO, but for some reason KO was so popular to guys like bob heckler, who always defended and praised him.

Yes sir, missed it. The more I watch Mook, the more I think of you. He is JUST your type of player. Tough, has his teammates back, wont back down AND can has talent on top of it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Ho hum another win.

This teams has transformed our deepest pessimisms and turned them into win.

Like so many other games this one goes on the signature win column.

This was a truly remarkable win.  A while back I did an analysis about the defense.  One of the suggestion was about playing some zone defense.  Even the better teams seem to struggle against the zone and Boston has the type of players that can excel.  Their quickness to the ball smothers their opponents.

But you still gotta score the ball and Boston has a lot of scorers.  A month ago we were taking about Tatum hitting the proverbial rookie wall.  But now he looks like a go to guy.  This kid is fantastic.

Once again Morris has proved that he is a flat out baller.  His ability to score from all 3 levels has blown my expectations out of the water.  I knew he was a solid player but I had no idea he could be this good.  He has 4 straight games at 20+ and he is just getting started.

Brad should be coach of the year.  

Rozier was not a reach.  Wow he gets better every game.

Baynes cannot shoot the 3.  Wait a minute..yes he can and he says he has been working on it.

53 wins and counting as the Celtics are positioned to finish strong.

This has been a truly remarkable season and my Celtics continue to amaze me.  This is not just a good team.  This is greatness.  We are witnessing greatness.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:27 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Yes sir, missed it.  The more I watch Mook, the more I think of you.  He is JUST your type of player.  Tough, has his teammates back, wont back down AND can has talent on top of it.

I wouldn’t go that far, he can get in shooting zones from long range and mid range....he’s kind of slow, definitely cannot keep up with most wings defensively even though the stance looks good and he can’t protect the rim against real 4’s, just too small. He is a great player coming off the bench, like you said for what we are paying him, it’s a great deal....and I’m half joking when I compare him to Bird. He has hit a lot of big shots, imagine if Smart could shoot like him more than once in a while? I can’t imagine a team with better wings maybe ever in any era. Jaylen and Jason have great athleticism, driving ability, defensive ability, etc etc and their gonna be a lot better next year, they are obvious future all stars and it’s almost not fair to have 2 young raw wings this good on the same team. Jason showed me the last 2 games that he can play both guard positions on both ends and and bring the ball up, no problem. Jaylen was the most gifted player in his game at
all star weekend and can pretty much do it all, great weakside defender and help defender, ask Durant. Then we’re gonna add all star Hayward next year with another year of getting better and stronger for 2 J’s. In 2 years or sooner we could have 3 wings on the East all star team, and Morris off the bench moving like a crab, hitting shots....it’s all gonna happen.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:21 am

Bob, I had posted when Terry was drafted that he would be a good pick, based on my son's watching him play for Louisville. Rozier is pretty damn good for a # 16. I think Phoenix drafted Rondo at 21 and then we got him in a trade. Late picks can blossom.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:49 am

worcester wrote:Bob, I had posted when Terry was drafted that he would be a good pick, based on my son's watching him play for Louisville. Rozier is pretty damn good for a # 16. I think Phoenix drafted Rondo at 21 and then we got him in a trade. Late picks can blossom.

Worcester,

Then it's you and NYCelt. Still not swimming in them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Bob, Speaking of swimming, Jake and I went out today with the new boat-towed metal detector. We may have confirmed metal on the sites of some interesting sonar and infrared camera images. Next week we dive on the spots.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, Speaking of swimming, Jake and I went out today with the new boat-towed metal detector. We may have confirmed metal on the sites of some interesting sonar and infrared camera images. Next week we dive on the spots.

Worcester,

Same places we found with the magnetometer and stuck the spear into the sea floor to mark, or another place?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Another place. I'm sending you the photos of it by email.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down