jrleftfoot
mulcogiseng
sinus007
dboss
fierce
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME Empty POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Celtics Wrap: C’s Claim Wild Game 1, Beat Bucks 113-107 in Overtime

NESN by Logan Mullen on Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 4:00PM

BOSTON — The Boston Celtics’ 2018 postseason got off to a good, albeit crazy, start Sunday afternoon at TD Garden. After each team hit a 3-pointer with less than a second to play in regulation, the Celtics earned a 113-107 overtime victory over the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 1 of their first-round NBA playoffs matchup. Al Horford led the Celtics with 24 points. Terry Rozier (23), Marcus Morris (21), Jaylen Brown (20), and Jayson Tatum (19), also tallied double figures, with Horford registering a double-double by grabbing 10 rebounds. Giannis Antetokounmpo was one of three Bucks in double digits, posting 35 points. The Celtics now lead the series 1-0. Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE PG: Terry Rozier SG: Jaylen Brown SF: Jayson Tatum PF: Al Horford C: Aron Baynes

LATE SURGE The first quarter was a fairly even affair up until the final four minutes, with the Celtics ending the frame ahead 29-17. Boston went on an offensive tear in the final 3:56, putting together a 15-0 run to turn a three-point deficit into a 12-point advantage. During that stretch, six different Celtics registered points. Jayson Tatum got off to a hot start, dropping a game-leading eight points on 4-for-4 shooting from the field.

BUCKS DOMINATE After a tremendous end to the first, the Celtics quickly went quite on offense and melted down on defense, watching their lead quickly evaporate. The Bucks took a 32-31 lead with 8:40 to go after opening the stanza on a 15-2 run. By the midway point of the quarter, Milwaukee already had outscored the Celtics 24-4. In the final moments, however, the Celtics showed some important life, going on a 6-2 run in the final 1:37 to cut into the lead. The Bucks went into the half ahead 47-44 after outscoring the Celtics 30-15 in the quarter. Tatum was the lone Celtic in double figures at the break, with 10 points.

C’S BOUNCE BACK Boston made the ugly second period look like a thing of the past in the third, taking a 70-66 lead into the fourth after outscoring the Bucks 26-19. A 7-2 run over the first 3:03 allowed the Celtics to reclaim the lead, and from their it returned to a back-and-forth contest. Jaylen Brown and Marcus Morris each played crucial roles in the third, knocking down seven points each. Both were timely with their scoring as well, shooting and making one 3-pointer apiece in the third, which came within 90 seconds of each other.

WILD FOURTH After the Celtics kept them the Bucks bay for a good chunk of the fourth, Milwaukee threatened late, pulling within a pair with 2:38 to play. But timely 3-pointers from Rozier and Morris allowed the Celtics to hold on to their advantage. With Boston’s lead cut to one with 32.4 seconds to play, Horford hit a pair of free throws to put the Celtics back up by three. After Antetokounmpo responded with two more points, Horford again hit a pair of free throws, putting the Celtics ahead 96-93 with 15.2 seconds to play. The Bucks executed, however, with Malcolm Brogdon hitting a 3-pointer to tie things with 10.3 seconds left. Then madness ensued. Rozier hit a 3-pointer with 0.5 seconds left, presumably a game-winner. But then Middleton responded after a timeout with an insane 35-footer off the inbound to force overtime.

BOSTON CLAIMS OVERTIME Despite a dejecting end to regulation, the Celtics showed tremendous resolve in the overtime period, and it resulted in them earning the overtime win. Like the rest of the contest, neither side could create much separation. But the Celtics provided just enough of a push, mainly with a 7-2 run in the middle of the extra frame, to stake their claim. All said, the C’s executed well at the free throw line in the end to secure the hard-fought victory.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT The almost game-winner. UP NEXT The two teams will meet again Tuesday night for Game 2. Tip from TD Garden is set for 8 p.m. ET
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

horford.jpg
AP Photo
Celtics hold off Bucks in overtime, take 1-0 series lead

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By A. Sherrod Blakely April 15, 2018 3:26 PM

BOSTON – In a season when very little has gone according to script, a likely game-winner in regulation for the Boston Celtics was not to be after the Milwaukee Bucks – with only 0.5 seconds to play – got a desperation heave that tied things up to force overtime.

It was only fitting that the Celtics would open the postseason with a game in which victory was in hand, then lost, and then recovered as Terry Rozier iced the 113-107 victory by making three free throws in the final 13 seconds of overtime.

Rozier (23 points) was one of five double-figure scorers for Boston, led by Al Horford’s double-double of 24 points and 12 rebounds.

Boston now leads Milwaukee 1-0 in their best-of-seven series with Game 2 at the TD Garden on Tuesday.

The Celtics felt they had the game won after Rozier drained a go-ahead 3-pointer with 0.5 seconds to play in regulation that gave Boston a 99-96 lead.

But the Bucks came right back following a time-out, as Khris Middleton drilled a desperation 3-ball as time expired. Middleton had 31 points while Giannis Antetokounmpo led all scorers with 35 points and 13 rebounds.

The two teams went back and forth in the overtime session, with Boston taking control – sort of – after a driving lay-up by Tatum made it a 108-105 game with 1:22 to play.

But the Bucks weren’t done.

They had a chance to take the lead after a Tatum turnover at a time when Boston was clinging to a 108-106 lead.

But Milwaukee failed to score and ultimately had to foul Rozier with 18.8 seconds to play.

He made both free throws which put the Celtics up by four points.

But his biggest play came with 13 seconds to play when he grabbed a rebound and was fouled by Antetokounmpo which was the Greek Freak’s sixth personal foul – an automatic ejection.

Boston’s two young up-and-coming stars, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, were particularly effective getting their offense going around the rim. Brown had 20 points while Tatum had a double-double of 19 points and 10 rebounds.

The Celtics opened the fourth quarter with an 8-2 spurt which included Tatum whipping a pass to a cutting Brown who snatched the past inside the paint and quickly turned around for a short lay-up leading to a Bucks time-out but more important, put Boston ahead 76-68.

Boston would eventually take a double-digit lead (86-76) following a Marcus Morris put-back dunk off his own miss.

But the Bucks bounced back with six straight, cutting Boston’s lead down to 86-82 with 3:11 to play which led to a Brad Stevens time-out.

Boston missed 16 of its 20 shot attempts in the second quarter, the kind of offensive struggles that would bury most teams.

But the Bucks could only build a 47-44 lead at the half despite all those bricks tossed up by the Celtics.

Never had a three-point deficit looked so good.

Because the Celtics knew going into the half that the game should not have been that close, not how they were shooting anyway.

It was a tribute to their defense which, while not dominant, certainly was good enough to keep the Bucks from running away with the game even as their lead spilled into the double-digit realm only for the Celtics to claw back into the game with some timely stops and turnovers converted into scores in the final minutes of the second quarter.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME Empty Re: POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME

Post by fierce Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Great game.

Very entertaining.

fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME Empty Re: POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME

Post by dboss Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Very hard fought game.  Many ups and down.

Looks like the rotation will be shortened.  This was a very substantial team win.

Game ball to Big Al.  He earned his paycheck this afternoon.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi,
What a game!
Shear will of AH and hustle of TR, JB and JT put us on top.
One down, three to go.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:32 pm

The regular season is over and the games are now for real. All the smart teams shorten their rotations. The Celtics only played nine double digit players.

The 20 year old rookie was held to 19 points and 10 rebounds in just 44 minutes of play.

The 21 year old second year player only scored 2o in a game high 45 minutes. He started out trying to do too much and then just let the game come to him. Because he wasn't on fire to start the game he didn't play the entire quarter and got subbed out at the normal time. This proved pivotal for an eventual OT game.

Horford and Morris set a veteran tone they ended up winning the game. Al is smart and Morris is fearless. Together they showed how to win playoff games.

Even if the young players actually do play and contribute. Even when the experts have written you off and all you have left is a chip.

that's one
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:39 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:The regular season is over and the games are now for real. All the smart teams shorten their rotations. The Celtics only played nine double digit players.

The 20 year old rookie was held to 19 points and 10 rebounds in just 44 minutes of play.

The 21 year old second year player only scored 2o in a game high 45 minutes. He started out trying to do too much and then just let the game come to him. Because he wasn't on fire to start the game he didn't play the entire quarter and got subbed out at the normal time. This proved pivotal for an eventual OT game.

Horford and Morris set a veteran tone they ended up winning the game. Al is smart and Morris is fearless. Together they showed how to win playoff games.

Even if the young players actually do play and contribute.  Even when the experts have written you off and all you have left is a chip.

that's one
says  it all. they needed to win. minutes be damned. there are no back to backs  in the playoffs Small criticism: could Tatum pleeeeze quit throwing those crosscourt hail marys.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Tatum helps wrap it up by keeping his poise and playing strong D after what could have been a disastrous turnover.

Great walk-off interview by Morris. "It's Boston man."  

http://www.nba.com/celtics/video/originals/walk-off-interview-041518
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 pm

This was one terrific game to watch today, Playoff basketball for sure.

The young players were so exciting to watch, and Al was absolutely wonderful out there.  He is going to show everyone why he is on this team. I listened the other night to a (I use the term loosely) announcer on the NBC/Sports channel beating on Al. This particular guy spent three quarters of his professional career in the minors, came up to the Red Sox for a couple of years, and now all of a sudden, he is a basketball guru.  I am tired of the way Al is regarded. He has been an excellent player for this team. Those who expected a 30 point, 15 plus rebound guy did not know Al for what he was.  Dependable, Reliable, and a real pro who has had great locker room leader.

I expect the same kind of game Tuesday, this is going to be a hard fought series. Hopefully they will hold home court and take one in Milwaukee.  Wishful thinking??? Yup, that's me.  

I was thrilled with this win today
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I thought all 3 of our young guys played well.  They all made some costly mistakes but still made the plays that had to be made.  

Since the Bucks play a lot of small ball I think Baynes may not play big minutes in this series.  If we get with Philly,  Baynes will be of vital importance.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 am

I know a lot of us are excited, great game yada yada yada.

I was really disappointed with how we played in 4th after building up a 9 point lead. Al hit a 3, then Morris scored down low, we went from 5 to up 9 with about 4 minutes or so left and then we got really careless with way too much dribbling. Two sequences were really terrible with Rozier dribbling dribbling on perimeter then with like 4-5 seconds left he throws it out to Tatum on the left side also on perimeter who had to take a terrible shot on no fault of his with a defender all over him....then next possession Morris did the same thing leading to another bad forced shot, I was actually shouting for him to shoot like he usually does, but he didn’t, next thing you know it’s a damn 4 point game. If you saw the game maybe you remember this bad sequence, this could have easily cost us the game.

We did show resiliency coming back from terrible 2nd quarter, but hated the lapse that forced so much hero ball, but thankfully/luckily we came thru. Middleton was unbelievable in the best game of his life, hopefully he can’t get into another zone like that again. Love the way 2 J’s played, Tatum with some clutch plays and some bad TO’s, we missed way too many bunnies. Baynes missed 3 point blank bunnies that would have really helped us. Learning experience, hope we can clean it up. I know we’re young, would like us to play better, sometimes we’re too unselfish and pass the ball too much- Tatum.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 am

Yes, Terry and Marcus made some bad passes in the 4th Q, but what a team effort to win. Imagine if we had Hayward, Irving, Smart, and Theis active. I know it will still be tough this year to get by Milwaukee, Philly, and ?? to win the ECF, but imagine next year with our full complement of players plus these young ones with this much positive experience under their belts.
Seriously. Just imagine.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:12 am

worcester wrote:Yes, Terry and Marcus made some bad passes in the 4th Q, but what a team effort to win. Imagine if we had Hayward, Irving, Smart, and Theis active. I know it will still be tough this year to get by  Milwaukee, Philly, and ??  to win the ECF, but imagine next year with our full complement of players plus these young ones with this much positive experience under their belts.
Seriously. Just imagine.

I have, it’s almost unfair to have 2 baby wings this good and talented that love to play both ends and love to work....I feel giddy about what this team can do fully loaded.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:15 am

Does anyone know what happened to the breakaway rule? In 3rd Jaylen had the ball on the open floor, building steam for an acrobatic finish and Snell grabbed him, instead of 2 FT’s and possesion all we got was the ball back from the side....bullshit mon!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:This was one terrific game to watch today, Playoff basketball for sure.

The young players were so exciting to watch, and Al was absolutely wonderful out there.  He is going to show everyone why he is on this team. I listened the other night to a (I use the term loosely) announcer on the NBC/Sports channel beating on Al. This particular guy spent three quarters of his professional career in the minors, came up to the Red Sox for a couple of years, and now all of a sudden, he is a basketball guru.  I am tired of the way Al is regarded. He has been an excellent player for this team. Those who expected a 30 point, 15 plus rebound guy did not know Al for what he was.  Dependable, Reliable, and a real pro who has had great locker room leader.

I expect the same kind of game Tuesday, this is going to be a hard fought series. Hopefully they will hold home court and take one in Milwaukee.  Wishful thinking??? Yup, that's me.  

I was thrilled with this win today
Lou Merloni is Bologna!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Does anyone know what happened to the breakaway rule? In 3rd Jaylen had the ball on the open floor, building steam for an acrobatic finish and Snell grabbed him, instead of 2 FT’s and possesion all we got was the ball back from the side....bullshit mon!!!

I 2nd that! They used to have an intentional foul rule where you would automatically go to the line breakaway or not. That needs to be put back in play because its obvious that the league/officials dont recognize what a breakaway is.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 am

Hi,
RE: refs. Yesterday they made a few mistakes in favor of both teams. The last one was a foul on Greek - it should've been a jump ball. But, I guessed, it was a make up for his clear foul on JT but they decided to go with the jump ball a minute earlier.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:39 am

I disagree, that was a foul on the Greek, he plays very hard, and I love his game, but he is getting all the breaks. He walked at least three times, and they did not call it on him.. But they did not hesitate to call it on the Celtics so pay back is a bit....
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:08 am

Our 2nd quarter almost croaked us.  Probably would have too if we were talking about anybody other than the Kardiac Kids.  We were 3-20 in the 2nd quarter.  Their cold 17 point first quarter saved us and we were down at the half by 3 only.  Brad with the post-game dead-pan humor...

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg
yesterday
"That was part of our plan, to kind of lull [the Bucks] into a false sense of security, never attack the paint, just throw it to the other team and let them score whenever they want. We thought maybe that would wear them out. Turns out it didn’t." twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status…

It's scary that The Freak scored 35 points on 11-21, was 13-16 from the line, 13 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals and everybody thinks that Al Horford did a great job defending him.  When, not if, he learns how to shoot he will be unstoppable.  People say the same thing about Ben Simmons but Simmons doesn't play defense like Giannis and Simmons' shot release point is low (inside baseball shit).  Having said all this, Al DID do a great job with Johnny Atentivemumble because he fouled him out.  Al wasn't just dedicated to defense he made the Freak work on the other end of the court too.  24 points on just 8 fgas.  How rare is that in playoff history?

POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME Da3RyT0XUAc17W2

Just an absolutely fabulous All-Star performance by both players.  I just hope old-man Horford has enough left in his tank for the rest of this series and if we win, then, he will  have to do it all over again with Simmons.  Poor bastard.

Not bad for a rook playing in his first NBA playoff game, not bad at all.  If I have a beef with Tatum it is a now long-standing one and it is that he does not give the ball up on the fast break and run without it.  What is most important at this point, both short-term with our injuries and long-term, is that he didn't shrink under the bright lights and pressure.

A. Sherrod Blakely @ASherrodblakely
yesterday
Talk about elite company. Jayson Tatum had 19 points and 10 rebounds, to become just the third #Celtics player ever to tally a double-double in his first playoff game. The other two? That would be Tommy Heinsohn and Bill Russell. pic.twitter.com/97yzC8DPc4

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
yesterday
Morris on Tatum: “Calling him rook is the only rookie thing about him.”

TRozzay had 6 points at the half, on 3-8.  He ended up with 23 points, 17 points in the 2nd half and OT and had 8 of our 14 OT points.  A big-game player, has been since he was a rook.  That 3 that put us up with .5 seconds left in regulation did everything except put Bledsoe into a walking boot.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Rozier on big three in 4th Q: "I was like, he was going to bite on that. Whether he bit or not, I was going to take the final shot."

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg
yesterday
Jaylen Brown: "I said it, I think, in the preseason. I said, 'Terry, with the opportunity, could be one of the best point guards in the league.' A lot of y'all looked at me like I was crazy. I mean, he's been showing it.” Brad Stevens: “Terry’s a stud."

Bill Doyle @BillDoyle15
yesterday
Terry Rozier said he went to Kyrie Irving's house two days ago. "I took all his shoes," Rozier said.

MY NOTE:  IT used to change his sneakers at halftime if he wasn't scoring because "they didn't have any buckets in them".  Is the shoes a real thing?  I'm assuming Rozier and Kyrie have the same size, otherwise that would be very weird...

1 down, 15 to go...

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401029429

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am

Question:

If player A is on the floor after diving for the ball and player B from the other team dives across the body of player A to get to the ball, landing on top of player A in the process, is it a foul?

Opinions?

POST GAME MIL BUCKS - ROUND 1 - GAME #1 HOME Logo_f11
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am

gyso wrote:Question:

If player A is on the floor after diving for the ball and player B from the other team dives across the body of player A to get to the ball, landing on top of player A in the process, is it a foul?

Opinions?

No.

If player B recovers the ball it's a first down.

(loose ball, no foul)
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am

Opinions?

Gyso,
I'd add one more parameter: whether player A has possession of the ball. If yes - then it's a foul, if not - the ball's up for grabs - no foul.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am

LOL comments to treasure:

1. Terry Rozier said he went to Kyrie Irving's house two days ago. "I took all his shoes," Rozier said.

2. Brad with the post-game dead-pan humor...

"That was part of our plan, to kind of lull [the Bucks] into a false sense of security, never attack the paint, just throw it to the other team and let them score whenever they want. We thought maybe that would wear them out. Turns out it didn’t." twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status…
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am

Poorly written first part (I'll fix it):

If player A is on the floor after diving for the ball [Edit: and has possession of the ball] and player B from the other team dives across the body of player A to get to the ball, landing on top of player A in the process, is it a foul?

gyso

gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 am

Yes, if Player A is on the floor with possession and Player B dives on him, it is a foul on Player B, or else special consideration is being given for his romantic yearnings.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:42 am

sinus007 wrote:

Opinions?

Gyso,
I'd add one more parameter: whether player A has possession of the ball. If yes - then it's a foul, if not - the ball's up for grabs - no foul.

AK

Funny thing, I went to edit exactly this after reading NY's post.  Great point, in my mind that was exactly the point and I missed expressing it in my initial question.

Thanks,

gyso

gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next