Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know

+4
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
fierce
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know  Empty Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know

Post by bobheckler Sat May 12, 2018 12:54 pm

https://nesn.com/2018/05/jayson-tatum-reminds-cavs-coach-of-well-you-probably-already-know/

Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know

by Ricky Doyle on Fri, May 11, 2018 at 12:04PM

Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know  Jayson-tatum8
Photo via Bill Streicher/USA TODAY Sports Images

Add Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue to the list of people who see a little bit of Paul Pierce in Boston Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum.

The comparison has been made countless times by countless talking heads since the Celtics selected Tatum with the third overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, and Lue added to the conversation this week ahead of Cleveland’s Eastern Conference finals series against Boston.

“As a little kid he was fast, but I think as he got taller it slowed him down a little bit,” Lue told ESPN’s Dave McMenamin. “I think that has helped his game a lot. He’s never in a rush, he plays patiently and reminds me a lot of Paul Pierce when Paul first came out. Being able to get to the free throw line, great footwork, never gets sped up offensively, so he’s a really good player.”

Lue is close with Tatum. They’re cousins — Lue and Tatum’s father, Justin, are cousins on Lue’s grandfather’s side of the family, the Cavs coach told McMenamin — and have been spending time together ever since Tatum was a kid.

And Lue also is very familiar with Pierce, having spent time in the Celtics organization as a coach, starting in 2009, when “The Truth” still was in the midst of his memorable run with Boston.

So maybe we should lend more credence to Lue’s assessment, although Tatum’s first season with the Celtics speaks for itself. The 20-year-old really has shown a scoring touch reminiscent of Pierce’s heyday. Not to mention, Tatum has shown a killer instinct in the playoffs.

“He’s not scared, he’s not afraid and he’s always been that type of kid,” Lue told McMenamin. “He wants these type of moments and he’s taking advantage of it. With Kyrie (Irving) and Gordon (Hayward) going down and him having a chance to play the minutes he’s been playing, starting and playing in the playoffs the way he has, he’s taken full advantage of it. But he’s never been scared, he’s never been afraid of the big moment. You can see that.”

Sounds a lot like No. 34, no?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know  Empty Re: Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know

Post by fierce Sat May 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Tatum is better on defense than Pierce.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know  Empty Re: Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 12, 2018 2:47 pm

You know, I loved Paul Pierce, but, for some reason I do not see this likeness. Jason Tatum is much faster, has a quicker move to the basket and is so much more athletic than Pierce. Granted some of his shots are like Pierce, he has no fear and neither did Pierce. Maybe it is just me, but, in my honest opinion, he may grow to be much better than Pierce and this is no disrespect to Pierce
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 12, 2018 3:39 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:You know, I loved Paul Pierce, but, for some reason I do not see this likeness. Jason Tatum is much faster, has a quicker move to the basket and is so much more athletic than Pierce.  Granted some of his shots are like Pierce, he has no fear and neither did Pierce. Maybe it  is just me, but, in my honest opinion, he may grow to be much better than Pierce and this is no disrespect to Pierce

I agree with you Rosalie, Tatum is only a rookie, so on my comments, he’s not fully there yet, but will be. Tatum has more length and quickness, he can get his midrange shot off easier than Pierce, who was a grinder. Tatum runs the floor better and faster, Pierce finishes in traffic better, but once Tatum adds more man strength with his length, he could surpass Paul there too. I’ve already seen Pierce on his show on ESPN say Tatum is much more advanced/better than him as a rookie, in their rookie years. Scary how he’s stepped up and made so many big plays this playoff run. As much as I loved Pierce I think Tatum and Jaylen will surpass him, Pierce had great skills and balls, but these kids just are such great athletes and are in the right organization that will work with them to develop their total games.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat May 12, 2018 9:52 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:You know, I loved Paul Pierce, but, for some reason I do not see this likeness. Jason Tatum is much faster, has a quicker move to the basket and is so much more athletic than Pierce.  Granted some of his shots are like Pierce, he has no fear and neither did Pierce. Maybe it  is just me, but, in my honest opinion, he may grow to be much better than Pierce and this is no disrespect to Pierce

I agree with you Rosalie, Tatum is only a rookie, so on my comments, he’s not fully there yet, but will be. Tatum has more length and quickness, he can get his midrange shot off easier than Pierce, who was a grinder. Tatum runs the floor better and faster, Pierce finishes in traffic better, but once Tatum adds more man strength with his length, he could surpass Paul there too. I’ve already seen Pierce on his show on ESPN say Tatum is much more advanced/better than him as a rookie, in their rookie years. Scary how he’s stepped up and made so many big plays this playoff run. As much as I loved Pierce I think Tatum and Jaylen will surpass him, Pierce had great skills and balls, but these kids just are such great athletes and are in the right organization that will work with them to develop their total games.

I guess if Pierce himself says Tatum is more advanced as a rookie, who am I to argue?

Count me among those who hope Tatum doesn't fill out too much further. It would only slow him down. Tatum is muscular and quick as is. He's a potential game changing NBA wing. I don't want to see him become a slower version of himself, with less hops, as a power-forward. I'd rather see him stay slender and quick. He's got everything he needs now.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 am

Ben Rohrbach

Verified account

@brohrbach
Follow Follow @brohrbach
More
Pierce on Tatum comparisons from @GlobeChadFinn today is pretty great. https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/05/17/paul-pierce-jayson-tatum-celtics-news …

Jayson Tatum Reminds Cavs Coach Of… Well, You Probably Already Know  DdZx_8TV0AATw2t

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 am

Fierce, Paul was a heluva defender, especially against LeBron in James' early years.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 17, 2018 10:47 am

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

I guess if Pierce himself says Tatum is more advanced as a rookie, who am I to argue?

Count me among those who hope Tatum doesn't fill out too much further. It would only slow him down. Tatum is muscular and quick as is. He's a potential game changing NBA wing. I don't want to see him become a slower version of himself, with less hops, as a power-forward. I'd rather see him stay slender and quick. He's got everything he needs now.

Agreed I’d prefer to see him stay as a wing, he will be so devastating there. Trainers today can figure out how to add strength without losing speed, in some instances you can add functional strength and be even faster.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am

worcester wrote:Fierce, Paul was a heluva defender, especially against LeBron in James' early years.

....and on Kobe

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu May 17, 2018 10:55 am

Yep, versus Kobe too. We were so lucky to draft Paul at #10, speaking of quality draft picks outside of #1,2,and 3.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am

worcester wrote:Fierce, Paul was a heluva defender, especially against LeBron in James' early years.

+1 and always in good help position.

Too early to judge Tatum, but I see him losing track of the ball and guarding his man while a player with the ball drives right past him. That will change in time hopefully, but Paul Pierce as a great positional player.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am

Sports Illustrated this week had a good piece on the Celtics Game 1 win against the Cavs which focused on Brad and Jayson. Good reporting.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 am

How do you like the reporting going on about Brad? Before the game Tuesday, the reporter from Cleveland, I forget his name, he is on ESPN, claimed the coaches around the league are getting tired of Brad getting all the accolades that he is and that is why they didn't vote for him. Who are they? A bunch of little girls who whine? or is this guy creating a problem where non exists.

Funny when I listed to pre and post game interviews with players, they thank God that they have a coach who has helped put them in the position they are in with his coaching and play calling. They made a big deal out of this last night on NBC Sports Tonight show.
Brad deflects all attention given to him to his players, that is why they like him so much
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Shaq appreciates Bard and the Celts.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I totally agree. I love Pierce, and he was no doubt a gifted scorer, but visually, to me, the two players seem very different. Pierce had that herky-jerky thing, and those funny rhythms of his got players off balance and allowed Paul to create space. Tatum looks much more fluid and efficient to me. Like you said, he looks really quick and fast to me when he moves to the basket. I don't get it when people call him slow. Also, his moves look incredibly efficient, no wasted motion. I almost think that he is so efficient and graceful when he moves, that people mistake this for "lack of athleticism" - it seems so effortless, people don't realize how quick and coordinated he is. He definitely has the fearless scorer's mentality like Pierce.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down