wideclyde
gyso
NYCelt
beat
dboss
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum Empty No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/celtics_insider/2018/06/no_celtics_summer_league_for_jayson_tatum

No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum

Mark Murphy Wednesday, June 06, 2018

No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum 052818celticsar12
Credit: Angela Rowlings
BREAKING UP NOT THAT HARD: Celtics Jayson Tatum shares some light moments with the media yesterday in Waltham. Staff photo by Angela Rowlings

Jayson Tatum, like every other Celtic, was sent home last week with instructions for a productive summer. But rest is also part of the prescription for someone who played in 99 games — 80 in the regular season and all 19 in the playoffs.

As a result, Tatum is not part of the Celtics’ plans for the Las Vegas summer league, at least not as an active member of the roster.

“We knew it about 50 games into the season,” Danny Ainge said Wednesday. “But look at it — he just played in (99) games. I think it would be crazy to put him into the summer league.”

The decision breaks from what had been a standard Celtics practice for young players coming off their rookie seasons.

In the Brad Stevens era, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier, R.J. Hunter, Jordan Mickey, Marcus Smart, James Young and Kelly Olynyk all played in at least two summer leagues.

But Tatum set a precedent thanks to his growth as a rookie. Brown had a similar run as a rookie, playing 95 games (78 regular season, 17 playoffs), though, as Ainge noted, there is a difference.

“Jaylen played fewer minutes, but still, we only played him in a few summer league games,” said the Celtics president.

Brown played a total of 1,556 rookie minutes. Tatum, whose playing time increased exponentially due to the absence of Gordon Hayward, doubled that number with 3,121 rookie minutes.

Tatum led the Celtics in total minutes during the regular season, and was second only to Rozier in playoff minutes.

“We’ll have plenty of people to see play this summer,” said Ainge. “We need Jayson just to work on what we’ve talked to him about.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Danny would be inflicting cruel and inhumane punishment upon the summer league players if he told Tatum to show up, not to mention crush a few careers stillborn.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum Empty Re: No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum

Post by dboss Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:45 pm

I think this is a good decision.

Not need to burn him out.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum Empty Re: No Celtics summer league for Jayson Tatum

Post by beat Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Just wondering have we really ever discovered anyone notable based on summer league play?

I understand it gives some younger players an intro to a somewhat higher level of play......and a chance to be seen.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Good call.

No reason for him to be there.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Jaylen Brown played a couple games last summer and he proved to be a man among boys. Jason Tatum had a better rookie season than Jaylen did.

I agree, there is no reason for JT to play summer league.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 pm

The big thing is that he started all season and played 99 games.

There is no value in him playing against rookies and wannabees.

He stated that it was a very hard season because he never played that many games

He will be working on his body to get stronger, cadio to increase his endurance and he will work on his skills.

He really had a tremendous rookie year!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Of course, he is not playing in any summer league!

Two more days in the weight room will be far more beneficial than two games in any summer league.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:49 am

wideclyde wrote:Of course, he is not playing in any summer league!

Two more days in the weight room will be far more beneficial than two games in any summer league.

+1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:56 am

beat wrote:Just wondering have we really ever discovered anyone notable based on summer league play?

I understand it gives some younger players an intro to a somewhat higher level of play......and a chance to be seen.  

beat

I think over the years, league wide there have been players who's summer league play propelled them to NBA rosters spots.

But I always thought it was more a way to get the rookies and one yeras players a chance to play in the teams system early, then a way to find talent.

But I could be way off.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Smart move, on top of the fact that he has played 99 games, he would be over and above everyone there and it would turn out just like last year with Jaylen Brown. He played super the first couple of games and then he ended up sitting he was just too good to be there. They came up with some phantom injury but it was useless to have him there. I think this would happen with Tatum.

They will be back in Waltham before long, training in the off season. So this is a smart move
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:15 am

And this is why he doesn't need summer league...

https://mobile.twitter.com/StoolGreenie/status/1013597013496090625/video/1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 am

bobheckler wrote:And this is why he doesn't need summer league...

https://mobile.twitter.com/StoolGreenie/status/1013597013496090625/video/1

bob

Exactly let him keep adding/refining his skills and get stronger.

You know Jaylen is doing the same thing, can’t wait to see how good these kids keep improving every year can be.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 am

Jayson made 20 three's in a row in that video clip.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Love it!!! Now if they could rub off on the draft pick coming in, it would be a miracle. This kid is a piece of work. Misses his conference call, got a pass on that.
Then he misses his plane to come to start practice for summer league. Is he kidding me????????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Has his contract been signed?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't know but he is 19/20 going on 12 the way he is acting. I guess some of those question marks about his maturity were for real. I hope he doesn't get lost too much driving to Maine, because he will spend alot of time there if this keeps up
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down