bobheckler
dboss
beat
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Deal done with Smart Empty Deal done with Smart

Post by beat Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:43 am

Restricted free agent Marcus Smart has agreed to a four-year, $52M deal to return to the Boston Celtics, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Front end loaded I believe

beat

I’m glad he’ll be back.

Of course with Danny???? Who knows.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Deal done with Smart Empty Re: Deal done with Smart

Post by dboss Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:49 am

beat wrote:Restricted free agent Marcus Smart has agreed to a four-year, $52M deal to return to the Boston Celtics, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

beat

I’m glad he’ll be back.  

Of course with Danny????  Who knows.

Is it too early for champagne?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:50 am

dboss wrote:
beat wrote:Restricted free agent Marcus Smart has agreed to a four-year, $52M deal to return to the Boston Celtics, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

beat

I’m glad he’ll be back.  

Of course with Danny????  Who knows.

Is it too early for champagne?

Never too early!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 am

So...

Danny said earlier that he thinks last year's team could compete for a championship.  Danny has backed that up by bringing back last year's team, except replacing Monroe and Larkin with Robert Williams and Brad Wanamaker.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:21 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/marcus_smart_re-signs_with_bos.html

Marcus Smart re-signs with Boston Celtics for four years, $52 million: Five things to know

By Tom Westerholm
The Boston Celtics agreed to a four-year, $52 million deal with restricted free-agent Marcus Smart on Thursday. We have in-depth analysis coming, but here are five quick things to know about Smart's new deal, and what it means going forward.

1. The Celtics always planned to bring Smart back.

There was a lot of sound and fury surrounding Smart's free agency, as Smart and his agent tried to angle themselves toward more money, but the Celtics always wanted him back and had no intention of letting him go. Danny Ainge was consistent -- whenever he was asked, he repeated that Smart was the team's priority in free agency.

Once it became clear that a team like Sacramento wasn't going to throw something like four years and $80 million his way, it became a forgone conclusion that Smart would be a Celtic next season.

2. Smart's value extends off the court.

Picture-frame-related violence notwithstanding, Smart is an important member of the Celtics locker room. He's incredibly competitive, but also one of the most stoic individuals you will ever meet, which is a useful combination.

The Celtics have a lot of young players. Marcus Smart is the type of player you want around young players.

3. Smart's contract has trade value, but the Celtics want to keep him.

By keeping Smart's contract within reason, the Celtics accomplished two things: They saved themselves some money, and they turned his deal into a major asset for themselves if they need to make a deal for a star. At $13 million per year, Smart's talent doesn't turn his contract into a minus, so including it in a deal wouldn't require a separate asset (like a pick) to include him. He's valuable in his own right.

That being said, don't expect the Celtics to dangle him around the league. Certainly, if Anthony Davis becomes available, Smart might want to hit up a New Orleans realtor. But he's a perfect complement to the current team, which is a championship contender as constructed, and his competitiveness fits the Celtics' ethos. He's not salary filler. He's a talented, important member of the franchise.

4. The Celtics' roster is going to get EXPENSIVE.

I'll have more on this shortly, but it should still be noted here: Smart's deal was fair, but so are the deals Al Horford and Gordon Hayward signed. That doesn't make them cheap. The Celtics are going to be a true championship contender, but they will rocket into the tax over the next few years.

5. Marcus Smart makes defense fun.

This doesn't really have anything to do with his contract, but here's your reminder that Smart's defense is crazy fun to watch.

If nothing else, bringing back Smart gives Weird Celtics Twitter energy, and energetic Weird Celtics Twitter is great.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:24 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/marcus_smart_re-signs_with_bos.html

Marcus Smart re-signs with Boston Celtics for four years, $52 million: Five things to know

Updated 6:07 PM; Posted 6:03 PM

Deal done with Smart Marcus-smart-d9d20027f0c9bdcb
Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart (36) attempts to save the ball from going out of bounds against the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first half of Game 4 of the NBA basketball Eastern Conference finals, Monday, May 21, 2018, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak) (Tony Dejak)

By Tom Westerholm

The Boston Celtics agreed to a four-year, $52 million deal with restricted free-agent Marcus Smart on Thursday. We have in-depth analysis coming, but here are five quick things to know about Smart's new deal, and what it means going forward.

1. The Celtics always planned to bring Smart back.

There was a lot of sound and fury surrounding Smart's free agency, as Smart and his agent tried to angle themselves toward more money, but the Celtics always wanted him back and had no intention of letting him go. Danny Ainge was consistent -- whenever he was asked, he repeated that Smart was the team's priority in free agency.

Once it became clear that a team like Sacramento wasn't going to throw something like four years and $80 million his way, it became a forgone conclusion that Smart would be a Celtic next season.

2. Smart's value extends off the court.

Picture-frame-related violence notwithstanding, Smart is an important member of the Celtics locker room. He's incredibly competitive, but also one of the most stoic individuals you will ever meet, which is a useful combination.

The Celtics have a lot of young players. Marcus Smart is the type of player you want around young players.

3. Smart's contract has trade value, but the Celtics want to keep him.

By keeping Smart's contract within reason, the Celtics accomplished two things: They saved themselves some money, and they turned his deal into a major asset for themselves if they need to make a deal for a star. At $13 million per year, Smart's talent doesn't turn his contract into a minus, so including it in a deal wouldn't require a separate asset (like a pick) to include him. He's valuable in his own right.

That being said, don't expect the Celtics to dangle him around the league. Certainly, if Anthony Davis becomes available, Smart might want to hit up a New Orleans realtor. But he's a perfect complement to the current team, which is a championship contender as constructed, and his competitiveness fits the Celtics' ethos. He's not salary filler. He's a talented, important member of the franchise.

4. The Celtics' roster is going to get EXPENSIVE.

I'll have more on this shortly, but it should still be noted here: Smart's deal was fair, but so are the deals Al Horford and Gordon Hayward signed. That doesn't make them cheap. The Celtics are going to be a true championship contender, but they will rocket into the tax over the next few years.

5. Marcus Smart makes defense fun.

This doesn't really have anything to do with his contract, but here's your reminder that Smart's defense is crazy fun to watch.

If nothing else, bringing back Smart gives Weird Celtics Twitter energy, and energetic Weird Celtics Twitter is great.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 am

Last night Cedric Maxwell was on television. He has backed bringing Smart back right from the end of the season. He said something that hit home with me. He said that Danny has always regretted letting Tony Allen go, that he was an important part of that team back then and they never replaced him with anyone remotely like him until Smart came along.

This was one of the reasons Danny was so intent on bringing Smart back, a good move as far as I am concerned
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am

I could care less how much Smart is going to earn. Good luck to him with his new money and to the Cs as #18 has to be the goal.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Last night Cedric Maxwell was on television. He has backed bringing Smart back right from the end of the season.  He said something that hit home with me. He said that Danny has always regretted letting Tony Allen go, that he was an important part of that team back then and they never replaced him with anyone remotely like him until Smart came along.

This was one of the reasons Danny was so intent on bringing Smart back, a good move as far as I am concerned

Many fans ragged on Danny for letting Tony Allen go.  Let's not reinvent history on that subject.  Max is ignoring a few facts.

Some of that decision is on Danny and some of that is on Tony.  Tony wanted to start and saw no daylight behind Pierce and Voldemort.  Tony left so that he could become a starter, fulfill his dream and fill his wallet at the level of an NBA starter.

I'm just guessing, but I bet both Danny and Tony have a few regrets in that matter.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 am

Is Allen out of the league now? I know Memphis let him go, but I was not sure what he did after that.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:54 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Is Allen out of the league now? I know Memphis let him go, but I was not sure what he did after that.

He is an unsigned free agent. He is waiting for an offer from a team as rosters are finalized.

He may want to get his passport in order.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am

Are their any reports of the actual terms? If it is front loaded, the later years will ease up a little on the luxury tax hit.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Well the owners can afford it, the team needs him, he's happy and our chances our winning #18 just got a lot better than they were this time yesterday.

I can breath now for the first time in who knows how long, and tonight I will be allowed to sleep.

Balance has been brought to the Shwartz.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm

gyso wrote:Are their any reports of the actual terms?  If it is front loaded, the later years will ease up a little on the luxury tax hit.

gyso

Good question. One thing coming is an increase in the tax line to around $130 million. That should kick in for the 2019-20 season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Tony Allen got a vet min deal with NO last season. But at 36 YO he hardly got to play.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 pm

He got slightly more than the Celtics reprted offer from last year. So much for his agents incompetence and his " big mistake" regarding his value so often referenced in the other Marcus Smart thread. I guess DA disagreed with those who felt he should have held the line on the qualifying offer and played hardball. It appears that retaining a player with this guys passion for more than 1 year was a priority to Ainge. Smart is hardly untouc hable, but this contract, as others have previously pointed out, actually makes him easier to include in a trade for a star player, should the opportunity arise.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 pm

The official announcement.  Top 25 in deflections and Top 10 in Charges Drawn.

Deal done with Smart DifCyDAWsAEKg-m?format=jpg

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Jared Weiss
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
2 hours ago
Marcus Smart’s deal is fully guaranteed for all four years with no options and will follow the standard 8% raise structure starting at around $11.6 million, a league source tells The Athletic.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:41 pm

A very good day! Smart can’t shoot worth a lick, and I don’t expect him to ever improve much. But having a a player with his his grit and defensive ability is needed for a championship team.

Let the season begin!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:47 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jared Weiss
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
2 hours ago
Marcus Smart’s deal is fully guaranteed for all four years with no options and will follow the standard 8% raise structure starting at around $11.6 million, a league source tells The Athletic.

bob

So much for the "contract is front loaded" rumor.  

Now we get to see if the Celtics want to stay under the luxury tax level.  They don't have to do it now, they can wait for a while, actually.  As long as they are under the luxury tax level at the end of the season, that's when it counts.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 pm

how many "Star" players do the Celtics need?

we have
Horford and Hayward on MAX DEALS

Irving will be next year and is considered by some to the BEST player on the Celtics right now

thats THREE star players ( or at least PAID like star players)

add Tatum..who almost all Celtics fans feel is UN TOUCHABLE as far as trades go

and that FOUR stars.

I mean I know we're trying to catch up to GS and all...but really...more than FOUR stars?

not gonna happen if you ask me.

but anywho

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:15 pm

so what are you saying, someone is going????? And, I assume, since he was not mentioned, it would be Jaylen Brown, in your opinion, right????

Why do we have to worry about "how many" stars we have? Do you want to win a championship?? Then, you go with the best of what you have. Jaylen Brown is a star on the rise. Getting rid of him would be a big mistake.

I just don't understand this post I guess,
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm

Good to have done.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm

kdp59 wrote:how many "Star" players do the Celtics need?

we have
Horford and Hayward on MAX DEALS

Irving will be next year and is considered by some to the BEST player on the Celtics right now

thats THREE star players ( or at least PAID like star players)

add Tatum..who almost all Celtics fans feel is UN TOUCHABLE as far as trades go

and that FOUR stars.

I mean I know we're trying to catch up to GS and all...but really...more than FOUR stars?

not gonna happen if you ask me.

but anywho

That is an interesting point. The Celtics will soon have 3 max players, yet one could argue they don't have a single top 10 player, and possibly only Kyrie breaks the top 20. Nonetheless, they almost certainly have a top 5 team.

I suppose someone could argue Kyrie slips into the top 10, but it would be hard to put him ahead of Lebron, Durant, Davis, healthy Kawhi, Curry, Giannis, Harden, or Westbrook. Gordon, Al, Jayson, and Jaylen are all probably somewhere in the top 20-40 range. Goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat - chemistry and balance matter.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 pm

kdp59 wrote:how many "Star" players do the Celtics need?

as many as it takes to win first 18, then 19, then 20..

the tough part is, ya really don't know what it takes to win the title till the Gatorade is being dumped on a coach, the players is laughing like silly little girls and fans whether in an arena or in front of their T.V.'s are jumping up and down screaming "we did it!" And not a few of us might be thinking of how nice it would have been for Jeb and Sam to have been along for the ride.

till then, ya keep putting as many pieces together as possible.

its like shooting a full grown grizzly that is charging you, ya don't shoot once and wait and see what the effect will be since ammo prices are higher than in the good old days, ya put all the lead into the SOB ya can price of lead be damned. Boston is putting all the talent on the floor they can, price be damned.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next