Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be'

+2
gyso
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be' Empty Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be'

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:54 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/08/boston_celtics_aron_baynes_did.html

Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be'

Updated 5:20 PM; Posted 4:41 PM

Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be' Celtics-cavaliers-basketball-5e196ace1d9e4049
Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes, left, tries to keep the ball from Cleveland Cavaliers' Jordan Clarkson and LeBron James, left rear, during the first half of Game 6 of the NBA basketball Eastern Conference finals, Friday, May 25, 2018, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane) (Ron Schwane)

By Tom Westerholm

Boston Celtics big man Aron Baynes could have waited a few days in free agency to get a deal done, hoping for a bigger offer and a little more money.

Instead, he agreed to a new deal with the Celtics just minutes after the start of free agency on July 1, completing a two-year, $11 million deal with a player option on the second season. Baynes will not be the richest of his NBA counterparts, but he does get to stay with a contender in a situation he enjoys.

Apparently, that situation played a major role in his decision.

Here's Baynes to the Boston Sports Journal's Brian Robb: "I didn't talk to anyone else because I knew that this was where I wanted to be. Like I said, this felt unfinished last year. The goal coming back is we know exactly where we want to be and what it's going to take. It's about trying to get there and both parties saw that. Hopefully, we can help each other attain that ultimate goal."

Baynes presents a lot of potential uses for the Celtics -- an enormous body which can bang against bigger centers (and dominate smaller ones) while pulling down a fair number of rebounds. Against the Philadelphia 76ers in particular, Baynes showed his usefulness clogging the paint and keeping both Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons away from the hoop.

The Celtics will be glad to have him back. Baynes' role may slip a little bit, given the amount of talent returning to the Celtics' starting lineup, but he will still be one of the top big-man options on a team gunning for a championship.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be' Empty Re: Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be'

Post by gyso Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:27 am

That is one player who has his head on straight.  No worries about anyone similar getting more money or a longer contract.  

Unfinished business.  Perhaps that should be the Celtics motto of this next season.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!!

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be' Empty Re: Boston Celtics' Aron Baynes didn't talk to other teams because 'I knew that this was where I wanted to be'

Post by wideclyde Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:23 pm

I am very happy to have Baynes back for at least one more season.

He is not a star type player, but more than plays his role like an all star player should.

In many ways, he is like Marcus Smart in that he brings far more to the team than his stat lines may
suggest, and every team needs a few guys like this. Also, he is a guy who you love when having him
and immediately start to look for a similar replacement the second he is not around.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticspride Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Thank you aron baynes
Celticspride
Celticspride

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:55 pm

wideclyde wrote:I am very happy to have Baynes back for at least one more season.

He is not a star type player, but more than plays his role like an all star player should.

In many ways, he is like Marcus Smart in that he brings far more to the team than his stat lines may
suggest, and every team needs a few guys like this.  Also, he is a guy who you love when having him
and immediately start to look for a similar replacement the second he is not around.

+1

Although not a star, he is much better than most people realize.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 pm

There is a bond forming with some of the players that can only work to the team's advantage. Baynes, Theis, Hayward and their families have all become good friends. I am sure as time went on, others became involved also.

The articles I keep reading about whether this team will "gel" because of a minutes crunch is being over reported. The only one I feel may be a bit upset is Morris since he is in a contract year and probably will look for $$$$ if he plays well. If he doesn't get the minutes he wants. Terry Rozier will get his time, I am sure Brad will be sure of that.

So I am glad that Baynes is back, he is a big part of the locker room, the young guys look up to him. It is great to have a guy like that around to help keep it light!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down