mrkleen09
gyso
beat
kdp59
wideclyde
Ktronic1
11 posters

Go down

Maxwell claps back on the greatest Celtic Empty Maxwell claps back on the greatest Celtic

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:36 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/8/7/17660030/maxwell-best-celtics-player-of-all-time-is-not-larry-bird-or-bill-russell-podcast-kevin-garnett-nbae
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Maxwell claps back on the greatest Celtic Empty Re: Maxwell claps back on the greatest Celtic

Post by wideclyde Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:05 pm

As much as I loved both Russell and Bird, Maxwell may have a good point.

Garnett was an electric performer beginning first with his leadership, but he had really great skills on both ends of the court as well.

The only thing that I could see keeping Garnett behind both Russell and Bird in the minds of many Celtics fans was the short duration of his time in Boston.

Pretty nice top three, huh?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Maxwell claps back on the greatest Celtic Empty Re: Maxwell claps back on the greatest Celtic

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 pm

I think he's back to eating too much cornbread myself.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 pm

I’d put a few ahead of Garnett

Russ, Sam, Cousy, Hondo, Cowens, Bird and maybe McHale and Pierce too.

beat

Last edited by beat on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Maxwell's silver hammer came down on his head one to many times.

No

No, just no.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:51 pm

beat wrote:I’d put a few ahead of Garnett

Russ, Sam, Cousy, Hondo, Cowens, Bird and maybe McHale and Pierce too.

beat

100%.

Love KG. Not the best Celtic under any circumstances.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 am

I'm going with he's trolling. Otherwise ...

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:55 am

KG didn’t have the offensive clutch skills of Larry Legend or Pierce, but Cornbread makes some valid points....I just wish we could have gotten KG at 25. We are just so blessed to have the 2 J’s at wing, makes up for Len Bias.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:58 am

Perk made KG’s life much easier in the paint, was great to watch that defense dominate and dismantle teams....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Max has no love for Bird, that is a well known fact. Could it have been all the accolades that were showered on Bird from the minute he started? Could it have been Bird's relationship with Red? We all know Max had a real parting of the ways with Red in l985/86, when he got traded to Clippers for Walton, who helped the team win a title and he won 6th man of the year trophy? Was it the way that trade went down with the blessing of Bird?

As far as Russell is concerned, he is just so out on an island here it is ridiculous. I loved KG, but he was here for 6 years, was adored by all who watched him, but, he won one title, period. ONE VS 11.

There are times when Max goes off on a tangent and talks like he is a bb genius. Sorry Max, you will eat these words as far as I am concerned. Ask your sidekick, Grande, I bet he will tell you you are wrong.

Don't get me wrong, KG was a great addition to this team but, really??????????????????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Agree with most of the posters here - no way KG is above Russell or Bird. Honestly, I feel that Pierce was the most essential of that era. For all his ferocious expressions and chest pounding, KG didn't seem to want the ball at the end of close games. In contrast, Pierce and Bird never had any doubt they should be taking those big shots.

I guess I can see Max's point if he is considering early 2000's KG - that player was a force - but I would still take Bird and Russell

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Max is pretty spot on most of the time. This time not so much. Its Russell Bird Pierce Sam Hondo and KG. IMHO...
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:57 pm

In spite of playing the first few years as a 6th man and nearly always defering to Larry Bird, Kevin McHale actually has favorable stats compared to Kevin Garnett

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/kevin_garnett_vs_kevin_mchale.htm

A big framed photo of KG sits on my wall and has a big place in my heart. But he isnt even top 10 in Celtics history IMO.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:22 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:In spite of playing the first few years as a 6th man and nearly always defering to Larry Bird, Kevin McHale actually has favorable stats compared to Kevin Garnett

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/kevin_garnett_vs_kevin_mchale.htm

A big framed photo of KG sits on my wall and has a big place in my heart.  But he isnt even top 10 in Celtics history IMO.

And McHale played with a broken foot too.

Before I listed 8 players that were better Celtics. IMHO....If I was to try to come up with 2 more I might chose From among KC, DJ, Heinsohn.

Now if he’d played 2-3 more years here yeah maybe..... or got another ring perhaps.

But as it is no he’s far from the best Celtic players of all time.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:56 am

I love KG, I wanted to have his lovechild, but better than the man who lead a team, in a team sport, to 11 Championships in 13 years?  Better than the Greatest Sports Winner in any sport in any country of All Time?

N. O.

bob
P.S.  Spent 9 hours on a bus yesterday with just a 15 minute bio-break, no lunch, to go from Nairobi to Mombasa, and then another 45 minutes in a taxi to get to my hotel due to rush hour traffic.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that my hotel, The Kenya Bay Hotel, is right on Bamburi Beach and here I will stay for 7 more nights.  Buffet breakfast on the patio looking at the Indian Ocean, waiting a few minutes before going in.

Maxwell claps back on the greatest Celtic 20180810

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:16 am

one heck of a trip Bob. Hope it is all you wanted it to be, We miss you here on line, but before you know it it will be basketball season. Travel safe my friend

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:one heck of a trip Bob.  Hope it is all you wanted it to be,  We miss you here on line, but before you know it it will be basketball season. Travel safe my friend

Rosalie

Rosalie,

Thank you.  While I am enjoying myself, most of the time, I do miss being plugged into this board and all of you a lot.  It's only 40% done, 8 weeks, 2 days into 20 1/2 weeks.  I'm trying to alternate surf and turf.  Right now it's surf, until 8/16, then it'll be turf for another couple of weeks as I go to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater to catch the end of the Great Migration and then another week of surf on Zanzibar before heading back to the turf for the rest of it.

bob

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down