How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes?

+8
RosalieTCeltics
dboss
wideclyde
kdp59
Matty
swish
beat
bobheckler
12 posters

Go down

How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes? Empty How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes?

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 am

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/how-do-we-feel-about-these-proposed-nba-rule-changes?_branch_match_id=513748417547689558

How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes?

Greenie
8/23/2018 10:50 AM

My initial take? I don’t hate it. We see these type of recommendations all the time, and frankly all three of these make sense to me on some level. This is nothing major or anything that will drastically change how the game is played, so it would be weird to me if someone were against this. Let’s look at all three one at a time

14 Second Shot Clock

I am all for whatever makes the game faster, so moving this from 24 seconds to 14 seconds on offensive rebounds seems like a no brainer. This is already how things are done in FIBA play, so it makes sense to have the NBA adjust as well. I’m sure of all the rule changes this may be one that has some detractors, but honestly who gives a shit if a team has 10 fewer seconds. They normally just take it and dribble around anyway before initiating their offense with around 14 seconds so I don’t think we’ll see that much of a difference. Instead this will give us more possessions, which everyone should be in favor of.

I’m especially excited to see this at the end of close games, where a team will no longer be able to get an offensive rebound and then just dribble out the clock. It’ll theoretically give us more thrilling endings and puts the pressure on guys to have improved mental composure in hectic scenarios. Love this rule change.

Simplification of clear path fouls

Maybe this is a personal preference, but I would love if the NBA really hit hard with this type of play. There is nothing more annoying then when a team is about to get on a fast break, and even if there is one person back, the offensive player is fouled at half court, stopping the play. Technically it’s not a clear path foul, but it’s still bullshit. They should instill some sort of penalty for that. Maybe just a tech and the ball or something along those lines. If you’ve watched any game done by Jeff Van Gundy, this may be his #1 gripe in the game today. He thinks they should get two free throws and the ball if this were to happen. In Europe/FIBA this is how it’s done, and this would be another adjustment I would have no problem with. I just find it weak as hell whenever a team does this, if you don’t want the fastbreak, don’t turn it over.

Now as to what that simplification really is, we’ll just have to see, but I am on Van Gundy’s side with this one.

Expanding what a “hostile act” is

Pretty hilarious that one of these rules would potentially help speed up the game, while this one may call for more replay, thus slowing things down. Even with an expanded definition, this is still going to be fairly subjective in my opinion. I’ll be interested to see what this new definition entails, because there’s no way they’ll be able to tell if something that was considered a gray area play now as definitely hostile. I feel like the league already does a good job with those questionable plays at the head and things of that nature, so what more could this be? If someone sets a hard screen or something? That would be kind of lame. I’ll reserve judgement on this one until we get the full details, but I would be pretty bullshit if there was a 50/50 play in a big playoff game or something and this new rule allowed them to go to replay over something minor, and the result ends up being worse than it should be. Who knows if that would actually happen, but it is something players are going to have to consider moving forward.

I’m all for making the NBA a better product on the court, and these small changes could very well do that. Really I only care about the first two because I think those will have the biggest impact, but it made me think. If you could propose a new rule change that isn’t listed here, what would it be?

bob
MY NOTE:  A 14 second shot clock is nuts.  Avery Bradley doing full court pressure could eat up the other team's shot clock single-handedly.  The game would be one-on-one chuck'em up or pure helter-skelter. Expanding the definition of a "hostile act" is just the further wussification of the NBA.  Only clarification of a clear path foul makes any sense to me.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes? Empty Re: How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes?

Post by beat Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 am

14 second shot clock is only after a team collects an offensive rebound so the ball is already in the front court.  Personally I think it’s a bit too quick.  Watched a few WNBA games as they have used this the past 2 seasons and it seem a bit helter skelter after the O rebound.  

Obviously I see no need to reset to the full 24 but 14 is a bit to quick IMHO.

Looking at it another way ....... if you don’t want a team to run clock after they shoot...... get the damn rebound.

The other changes ?   We’ll just have to see how they are called but agree one seems that it will call for delays while the play is reviewed.
Reviews take to damn long as it is and now there may be more.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes? Empty Re: How Do We Feel About These Proposed NBA Rule Changes?

Post by swish Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:30 am

14 second shot clock - Does it really matter ? Isn't the game fast enough now ?

Top 2 high scoring seasons of the past.
1961-62 - 118.8 pts per game of which 27.0 were scored from free thows - net from made field goals=91.8 pts.
1960-61 - 118.1 pts per game of which 27.4 were scored from free throws - net from made field goals=90.7pts.
Note--- The made free throws were all made with the clock stopped.
Therefore the points made per 48 minute game are based on made field goals.

2017-18 - 106.3 pts per game of which 16.6 were scored from free throws - net from made field goals=89.7pts
1985-86 - 110.2 pts per game of which 22.9 were scored from free throws - net from made field goals=87.3pts

Not much difference between the present and the so called run and gun days of the early 60's

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:58 am

pretty much what Bob says in his notes.

i've played in many a game with a no blood/no foul rule, wouldn't mind seeing THAT rule adopted.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:43 am

what ..nothing about the offensive players who jump into defenders as they shoot to get a foul called?

yes Harden I'm talking about you among others!

I hate that crap and wish they would call an offensive foul on those plays to end that crap.

and I'm with Matty on the flagrant fouls......no blood = no flagrant foul is fine with me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 pm

The NBA has far too many very, very high priced players and too much money on the line with TV money and ticket sales to ever be able to play with the "no harm, no foul" concept. The league has to protect its players to continue to grow and profit.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:21 pm

14 seconds is a long time.

Go ahead and count 1 1000, 2 1000 3 1000...14 1000.

The team on defense should work on rebounding positioning although long missed jumpers tend to bounce out away from the paint. The team that is able to secure an offensive rebound should work on 14 second plays. Teams with a great go-to guy should be able to get up a decent shot. Those teams have an advantage.

The rule that I think needs to be changed involves the shot clock violations. I hate it when a team plays great defense and they secure the ball at the same time the shot clock goes off. They have to hand the ball to the ref and then inbound the ball. I think this penalizes good defensive teams. There should be no whistle if the defensive team secures the ball. Let them play on!

I do not like the clear path rule changes. If the offensive guy is ahead of the defensive guy and is fouled then it should be a clear path foul. The new rule change will result in more fouls being called. Fouls are part of the game and can and should be used strategically. A foul is still a penalty for the player and team that created it so I do not think an additional penalty should be imposed.

I also think that after a made basket the other team should be able to inbound the ball and not have to give it to the ref. The notion that the ref needs to touch the ball after a made basket slows the game down.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:59 pm

Here's a huge change that I would like to.see.
  Eliminate the autmatic fouling out of a game for a non violent foul. Starting with the 6th foul simply add on a foul shot and possession of the ball with the players coach also having the choice of replacing or leaving the player in the game.

swish

Last edited by swish on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:56 pm

I do not like the 14 second rule, offense would suffer with that rule. Nothing like watching a good play develop.
That rule of offensive players jumping into defensive players and getting the call should be addressed. It is a play that these smart offensive players use all the time, just like the leg thrown out as they shoot. If they can address that it will let teams that are defensive minded get a fair shake. How frustrated have we been with guys pulling this and getting our defensive players in foul trouble for no reason.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm

swish wrote:Here's a huge change that I would like to.see.
  Eliminate the autmatic fouling out of a game for a non violent foul. Starting with the 6th foul simply add on a foul shot and possession of the ball with the players coach also having the choice of replacing or leaving the player in the game.

swish

That would be an interesting rule, and it would be a delight to watch coaches try and figure out what is the best move. Will never happen, but I like the idea.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
swish wrote:Here's a huge change that I would like to.see.

swish

That would be an interesting rule, and it would be a delight to watch coaches try and figure out what is the best move. Will never happen, but I like the idea.

Shamrock1000

It would probably help to keep the stars in the game and that alone is a big plus for me. I even hate to see the greats riding the bench because of early foul trouble.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Fouling (or not fouling) is a big part of the game. Can you imagine the carnage the Bad Boy Pistons would have inflicted knowing none of them could foul out? What about players like Boogie acting like an idiot and picking up three quick fouls?

With the NBA becoming even less forgiving on contact and fouls - no way in hell they allow more than 6 fouls.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Fouling (or not fouling) is a big part of the game.   Can you imagine the carnage the Bad Boy Pistons would have inflicted knowing none of them could foul out?  What about players like Boogie acting like an idiot and picking up three quick fouls?  

With the NBA becoming even less forgiving on contact and fouls - no way in hell they allow more than 6 fouls.

And just how would this carnage in crease their chances to win the game.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 pm

swish wrote:

swish

How would allowing a team full of hooligans to beat up the best players on the opposition beyond the allotted 6 fouls change the game? Is this a real question?

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
swish wrote:

swish

How would allowing a team full of hooligans to beat up the best players on the opposition beyond the allotted 6 fouls change the game?  Is this a real question?

It sure is - note that I specified non violent fouls - and I assume that "beat up" would mean violent fouls.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 pm

The NBA will never allow more than 6 fouls.  All their recent rule changes have slanted towards making the game less physical - not more.  This idea is 100% a non starter.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:39 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:The NBA will never allow more than 6 fouls.  All their recent rule changes have slanted towards making the game less physical - not more.  This idea is 100% a non starter.

Why would it be more physical ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 pm

These questions are ludacious.

Why would I tend to be more physical with you if I knew I had 7 or 8 or 10 fouls and could still remain in the game?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 pm

When I think of hooligans I think of the late 80’s Pistons, they cheapshotted and took down players regularly, fighting with everybody, but back then the game was all about the paint. Teams that controlled the paint offensively, defensively, rebounding always won, but the game has changed away from the paint. It’s all spacing, shooting, perimeter shooting and pick and roll, nobody posts up anymore, ofcourse you still need defense, but even now you need talented versatile perimeter defenders now more than ever. The game will never be as physical as those mid to late 80’s were.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:These questions are ludacious.

Why would I tend to be more physical with you if I knew I had 7 or 8 or 10 fouls and could still remain in the game?

I think that you would not be concerned about winning the game if you would deliberately commit flagrant fouls knowing that your opponet would get an extra foul shot and his team would retain possession of the ball - and if it was a flagrant 2 foul - your ejected from the game.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 am

Don’t like the 14 second clock at all. There comes a time when all should just leave the game alone. Stop creating/changing games to make it more appealing for TV. I get the $ factor but it gets to a point when the powers that be start believing their own bullshit.
I’m sure they’ve conduct/conducted strategic research on the game but I’ve never heard anyone complain about the 24 second clock being an issue they way its currently employed.
I’m a 100% believer in research. It becomes an issue when the data results are applied incorrectly. I believe this is one time that the implication is Faulty at best.

Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm

swish wrote:
I think that you would not be concerned about winning the game if you would deliberately commit flagrant fouls knowing that your opponet would get an extra foul shot and his team would retain possession of the ball - and if it was a flagrant 2 foul -  your ejected from the game.

swish

Who said anything about flagrant fouls? Six common, hard, legal fouls already take their toll on any player. If I knew I had 8, or 9 or 10 - the guy would be worn out.
And if that was happening regularly to a star - the league would simply not stand for it. Just like your Kwahi to Boston thing - not going to happen.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:29 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
swish wrote:
I think that you would not be concerned about winning the game if you would deliberately commit flagrant fouls knowing that your opponet would get an extra foul shot and his team would retain possession of the ball - and if it was a flagrant 2 foul -  your ejected from the game.

swish

Who said anything about flagrant fouls?  Six common, hard, legal fouls already take their toll on any player.  If I knew I had 8, or 9 or 10 - the guy would be worn out.
And if that was happening regularly to a star - the league would simply not stand for it.  Just like your Kwahi to Boston thing - not going to happen.

I took "beat up" as being more than hard fouls - in any event the days of physical basketball as played by the Pistons (and others) back in the late 80's and early 90's is history, as many new rules (including flagrant fouls) first enacted in the early and mid 90's and continuing up to the present, have completely changed the game. Looks like we have a different view on this subject.  That's what this forum is all about.

swish

Last edited by swish on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor add on)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down