Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp

5 posters

Go down

Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp Empty Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 pm

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/08/27/report-gordon-hayward-kyrie-irving-ready-boston-celtics-training-camp

Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp

NBA Twitter and media reports

Aug 27, 2018 8:32 PM ET

With Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving back at full strength, expectations are soaring in Boston.

Having seen both of their 2017-18 seasons ended prematurely by injury, Celtics stars Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward are fully recovered and ready for the start of training camp on Sept. 26.

"I don't want to hype it up too much, but I'm saying that, if our training camp were starting today, that they would be here today going full speed," said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, as reported by ESPN. "It's not like they need an extra month. I think that they know they have an extra month so they are sort of pacing themselves. They're playing as if to build up to that opening day of training camp."

Ainge said the Celtics will nonetheless be cautious with Irving and Hayward after they missed 22 and 81 games, respectively. Irving was sidelined by left knee issues that required multiple surgeries, while Hayward suffered a gruesome ankle injury just five minutes into his Celtics debut after defecting from the Jazz via free agency last summer.

Despite the loss of their starting backcourt, the Celtics still advanced to the Eastern Conference finals, falling to the Cavaliers in seven games. But with LeBron James having left Cleveland for the Lakers, and their All-Star guards back to full strength, expectations are soaring in Boston.

"I'm really excited about about the upcoming season with (Irving and Hayward back)," Ainge said. "Obviously there's a transition from rehabbing to playing 1-on-1 to playing 3-on-3 to 5-on-5 and then playing NBA basketball, so I don't want to build up expectations too high. I think there will be a little bit of an adjustment once that last phase is made.

"But, physically, they look great and I think they're very excited about the upcoming year."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp Empty Re: Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp

Post by bobc33 Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 pm

So am I!

Back to top Go down

Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp Empty Re: Report: Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving ready for Boston Celtics training camp

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:20 pm

"They'll both be here within the next week or so; by the time Labor Day is over, they will all be playing 5-on-5," Ainge said of Irving and Hayward. "I think it's just a matter of, if they're not playing 5-on-5 now, then it's only because they want it more of a controlled environment, I guess. They're doing everything -- dunking the basketball off both legs and playing one-on-one live and jumping and cutting and defending. I'm excited for them."

Ainge said the team will carefully ramp up activity for Irving and Hayward during camp and that the emergence of Boston's younger players should ease the burden on the returning stars early in the new season.

bob
MY NOTE:  Labor Day is Monday September 3rd, just 6 days from now.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 am

One month until 1st preseason game

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 am

Chris Forsberg
Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg
yesterday
Brad Stevens on Gordon Hayward: "He looks good. ... You can’t tell anything [about the injury] from my untrained eye. He looks good. He’ll be cleared to go, some 5-on-5 here very, very, very shortly -- like," [glances at watch] , "anytime soon."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:52 pm

This is really great news and I am glad the Celtics did not try to rush him back too soon.

He was not ready for the playoffs as some speculated.

A healthy Hayward changes the dynamic of how this team will compete. The offensive talent should make this team unguardable.

Kyrie cannot be checked one on one. Spread the floor and he will have options at every position.

I think there will be few games where Boston's offense will struggle to score the ball.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 am

Kyle Draper
Kyle Draper @KyleDraperTV
yesterday
Gordon Hayward set to meet with the media Thursday afternoon. I’m told he started playing 5-on-5 last week. That’s great news #Celtics fans. Training camp starts in less than two weeks.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Mark Murphy
Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 1 hour ago
Hayward says he's more or less 100 percent, with explosion and cutting the remaining challenges.
MY NOTE:  "explosion and cutting" are two big, important things.  It's good he isn't feeling any effects of 5-on-5 but if he wants to get on the floor he needs explosiveness and cutting..

Brian Robb
Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago
Hayward on starting: “I’m not worried about it at all. We’re worried about putting up a banner. It doesn’t matter to me.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:22 am

And, there is still no rush to push either of these two guys through full practices or even pre season games.

I hope the Cs hold both guys back a little bit right through the first month of the regular season. It is not like the team does not have plenty of other quality players that can be used to not over use either Hayward or Irving.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 am

I am more concerned about Hayward than I am Irving.  

Hayward has been playing 5 on 5 for two weeks now and the ankle has not been a factor however the 'explosiveness" factor is the real test on how much he can contribute.  He is a tough young man that has fought his way back.  I agree with Wideclyde about holding him back early in the season.  This relates to minute restrictions and may also determine if he is going to start.

I still think he will be in the starting lineup coming opening day.  He may only play 5-6 minutes coming out the gate in the 1st QTR but in the process it should help his confidence.  

When we see him in preseason we will be able to see how well he moves (cuts and explosiveness)

Kyrie is set to have an MVP level season.  Last year he was fantastic even while playing with discomfort in his knee.  He had some hardware removed and an infection cleaned up.  There was no structural damage to the knee thus he should have few if any restrictions.

The Celtics take the court in exactly 2 weeks for their first preseason game against the Hornets.

The anticipation is growing as I cannot wait to see the 2018-19 team take the court
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down