Keeping Yabu For An Upgrade

+2
Matty
fierce
6 posters

Go down

Keeping Yabu For An Upgrade Empty Keeping Yabu For An Upgrade

Post by fierce Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:37 pm

Here's an article about maybe why the Celts kept Yabu.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/10/31/boston-celtics-exercise-options-on-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown-and-guerschon-yabusele/

However, now that they’ve kept him, they do have a filler contract that can be added in a potential trade. Smart’s $12.5 million and Yabu’s $3.1 million leave the Celtics about $11.5 million short of…. oh… let me just pick a random number… $27,093,018. And because salary matching rules allow for the Celtics to take in 125% of the outgoing salary, they could throw in…. oh… let just pick another random number… $6,534,829… and a trade could technically work.

Please excuse me as I scan the vast financial database to see if I’m lucky enough to find players who will make those random numbers next season….

…. OH HEY! What do you know, that happens to be exactly what Anthony Davis and Jaylen Brown make. Whaddya know?

So while on the surface, keeping Yabusele isn’t something that makes financial sense, it’s obvious that Danny Ainge is trying to keep all of his options open for a blockbuster trade should one present itself.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Keeping Yabu For An Upgrade Empty Re: Keeping Yabu For An Upgrade

Post by fierce Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 pm

Also, Anthony Davis to the Celts via trade is not possible.

Here:
https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/7/3/17531092/clearing-up-boston-celtics-cap-cba-questions-2018-nba-free-agency-anthony-davis-kyrie-irving

Q: I keep hearing the Celtics can’t trade for Anthony Davis because they have Kyrie Irving. Is this true? If so, why?

A: It is true. The CBA prevents a team from having two players on the same roster that were acquired via trade that had previously signed a contract extension under what is called the 5th Year 30% Max criteria. This criteria is commonly referred to as the “Rose Rule”, as Derrick Rose was the first place to make use of it.

How does this impact the Celtics? Boston acquired Kyrie Irving via trade last summer (if you don’t know that, you have a lot of reading and catching up to do!) and he had previously signed that contract as an extension with the Cleveland Cavaliers using the Rose Rule (I’m using Rose Rule because it’s shorter to type!). Anthony Davis also used the Rose Rule to sign his contract extension with the New Orleans Pelicans. As the Celtics would need to acquire Davis via trade, they are not allowed to do because both he and Irving signed using the Rose Rule and both would have been acquired via trade.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:41 pm

I think we can stop believing the owners when they say no trades will happen.

Picking up the option on Yabu doesn't make financial sense because it only puts the Celts deeper into luxury tax territory.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:49 pm

mebbe they just really like having him around?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:53 pm

Matty wrote:mebbe they just really like having him around?

Come on, let's not kid ourselves.

He's just averaging 0.8 ppg and 1.0 rpg.

Celts also have Baynes, Theis, and Rob Williams as the bigs.

Having him around for what?

Seeing a dancing bear for entertainment?
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:08 pm

I think that he could be traded. Danny is a trader as we all know and he could be packaged with TR. I do not see a blockbuster trade in the immediate future but Danny is always on the prowl to add future draft picks.

At this point the only thing we know is that Celtics control his contract through the 2019-20 season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 pm

dboss wrote:I think that he could be traded.  Danny is a trader as we all know and he could be packaged with TR.  I do not see a blockbuster trade in the immediate future but Danny is always on the prowl to add future draft picks.  

At this point the only thing we know is that Celtics control his contract through the 2019-20 season.

Packaging him with Rozier is also a good idea.

The point is the Celts need to shed some depth.

Too much depth will end up being counterproductive.

It's only a matter of time before some of the Celtic players will complain because of lack of playing time.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 am

There will be no complaints on this team because of playing time. These players are all in.

Picking up options is indeed a way to bolster trade value and that works with Guerschon as it would anyone else.

But the reason the Celtics picked up his option is because they like his skill set. He is a play making big who is agile, can hit the three, and has good basic defensive skills. He has improved every year since he first turned pro. He was a star of the French league, and of his team in China. He made an impact in Maine although he was injured. Mistakes he was making then he makes less often. If one of our bigs goes down he is there to help pick up the slack.

If ownership wasn't willing to pay the tax, if they were at all concerned about paying the tax, they wouldn't have resigned him.

Ever faithful to The Dancing Bear, I remain
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:23 am

So far Yabu hasn't made a 3pt shot this season.

He's just not tall enough to be a big in the NBA.

When the Celts drafted Yabu, he was more of a SF.
Right now Yabu is more of a Jared Sullinger type player.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:41 am

mulcogiseng wrote:There will be no complaints on this team because of playing time. These players are all in.

Picking up options is indeed a way to bolster trade value and that works with Guerschon as it would anyone else.

But the reason the Celtics picked up his option is because they like his skill set. He is a play making big who is agile, can hit the three, and has good basic defensive skills. He has improved every year since he first turned pro. He was a star of the French league, and of his team in China. He made an impact in Maine although he was injured. Mistakes he was making then he makes less often. If one of our bigs goes down he is there to help pick up the slack.

If ownership wasn't willing to pay the tax, if they were at all concerned about paying the tax, they wouldn't have resigned him.

Ever faithful to The Dancing Bear, I remain

Mulcogi,

I'm curious; please tell us about the new avatar.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:34 pm

fierce wrote:
dboss wrote:I think that he could be traded.  Danny is a trader as we all know and he could be packaged with TR.  I do not see a blockbuster trade in the immediate future but Danny is always on the prowl to add future draft picks.  

It's only a matter of time before some of the Celtic players will complain because of lack of playing time.

fierce

The Celtics are not looking to shed depth. I know of no team in any sport that is looking to shed depth. That is preposterous. You argued about this under your absurd Jimmy Butler thread and now you want to infest this thread with the same logic.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Everybody be nice! AHhhh Scuse me...Convivial. :>))))))
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:57 pm

dboss wrote:
fierce wrote:

fierce

The Celtics are not looking to shed depth.  I know of no team in any sport that is looking to shed depth.  That is preposterous.   You argued about this under your absurd Jimmy Butler thread and now you want to infest this thread with the same logic.

Like I said in another thread, there will be lack of playing time.

Players will not get into a rhythm if they're in and out of the lineup.

Rozier is also a goner because he wants to be a starter.
The money is not the issue because Celts can match any offer for Rozier.
But Rozier wants a starting job.
That's something the Celts can't give him.

Just look at tonight's game against the Bucks.
Celts just shot 3s all game long.
They almost lost.

Celts are becoming like a one trick pony team.

What we need is another scorer like what Paul Pierce was.

Right now all the Celts do is jack up 3s.
It's like going to war having all grenades and no firearms.

Celts have too many weapons of the same kind.

This is why I want Jimmy Butler.
Butler will give the Celts scoring from post ups and perimeter jumpers.

Shooting 3s all game long is a recipe for disaster because if your shots are not falling, you automatically lose.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down